View RSS Feed

machoo mann

Lower midcard; the famous 'grey mass' of WWE

Rate this Entry
It's widely knowledged that WWE's lower midcard and jobber division has some of the most underrated performers and a wide spread of talented wrestlers who for some reason can't get over. Their wrestling ability doesn't get between them and stardom, whereas does their mic-skills and lack of personality. The biggest problem in the lower midcard is that the guys are not so rememberable (even though we have our fair share of dull wrestlers or in better words, dish rags in the midcard.)

So what is the 'oh so grand' mistakes that lower midcarders have made during their path onwards and upwards? The little personality and interaction with the crowd is forced and it only comes across a little awkward. For example, we have Tyson Kidd vs. Michael McGillicutty @WWE Superstars. Tyson gets his fury of offence and showcases his innovative moves. The crowd gets a little fired up. Then it's the faces turn to interact with the crowd. Tyson gives a little scream: "yeaah, lets go!" which gets the crowd fired up a little but the reaction itself falls flat. Sure the amount of exposure is extremely small with these lower midcarders and the knowledge about these performers is almost nonexistent amongst the mainstream WWE audience.

Then we get to the atmosphere that I feel during these matches. These guys perform always well, they have solid matches with nice finishes. But the lack of personality can also be explained with the situation these wrestlers are in. The uncertainty about what future holds, it's almost they're wrestling on razors edge. Creative has nothing going for you, youre stuck in Superstars or NXT having nice lenghty matches but still, breaking through is extremely tough (it shows with the 'trying to get over' by social media).

Sure these guys don't have great personality and their mic-skills are subpar at best but what is a damn shame it's that the lower midcard helds some of the best in-ring performers in the WWE right now. Tyson Kidd, Curt Hawkins, Joe Hennig (I refuse to use the other name, eventhough it sometimes has a nice ring to it), Justin Gabriel, Tyler Reks, Heath Slater and even Trent Barreta, who can have a good match with almost anyone. It would be a mockery to pro wrestling as itself to let these guys slide without giving them a decent shot, gimmick to work with and airtime. If WWE went on to push Brodus Clay with some squash matches and video packages only to see that it didn't go anywhere, why not to take a leap of faith with some of these guys?

The problem is simple; lower midcard are like huge grey mass. Nobody stands up, nobody is simply given a chance to stand up. If someone tries to show some character it comes across a little clumsy and forced. But I'm sure that somewhere in the midcard there are two, three, four or hopely five guys who are willing to grasp to something bigger than NXT or Superstars. Honestly, these guys can give it a go and what is more nicer than a good' ol Cinderella-story?

Thanks for reading, comment below!

Submit "Lower midcard; the famous 'grey mass' of WWE" to Digg Submit "Lower midcard; the famous 'grey mass' of WWE" to del.icio.us Submit "Lower midcard; the famous 'grey mass' of WWE" to StumbleUpon Submit "Lower midcard; the famous 'grey mass' of WWE" to Google

Updated 03-02-2012 at 01:20 AM by machoo mann

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Now these are the kind of blogs I love to read, actuall analysis of a situation and circumstance...well done man
    I love reading your blogs and this is only your second, BRILLIANCE!
    Totally agreed. I'd love to see what Tyson Kidd is capable of if he were given room to fly... Great write!
    @ Corwo

Some of you are "bandwagon" riders around here lol
    Good blog, but I totally disagree with you. Maybe it's just me, but today's wrestlers in the WWE really have it so easy. Breaking into the business isn't ANY WHERE NEAR as hard as it was back in the day. The only way people like Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, HBK, Bret Hart, and etc back in the day survived was forcing their way to the top. They had the work ethic and passion to force their natural abilities to shine. And there were plenty of guys that didn't make it. Sometimes it's just not in the cards for some people.
    You have valid points there and I also believe that back in the day guys had much more work-ethic but then again, what makes a "sports entertainer" nowadays and what made a professional wrestler during the 'good ol days'? I haven't really followed wrestling from the 'good ol days' but it's true what you said; nowadays it's maybe too comfy, no real fire under the ass like HBK, Hart or Hogan had. No real will to get elevated to the next level. But really, times have changed drastically and pro wrestling has changed with it. Also the ratings-oriented environment is truly hurting the product and wrestlers as a whole. If something doesn't work right away, it's dropped or scrapped. No continuity whatsoever. But thats a different matter and yeah you're right in your own aspect. But still there must be something behind the lousy work-ethic.
    Updated 03-02-2012 at 09:06 AM by machoo mann

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.