View RSS Feed

bearkg88

Flash From The Past: Wrestlemania XX

Rate this Entry
Hey everyone. I wasn't planning on doing this until Friday or Saturday, but ended up having free time tonight and thought I'd write it up now instead of later. On this edition of FFTP, I am going to take a look back at Wrestlemania 20, as we countdown to the spectacle that is this years Wrestlemania. Wrestlemania 20 was the second Mania I had watched, and by far my favorite so far. At this time, Smackdown I believe was on UPN(correct me if I am wrong), and I didn't get the channel so I didn't really get to watch it. My main show back then was Raw. I had ordered Armegeddon, Royal Rumble, and even No Way Out on the road to Wrestlemania to get myself pumped for this show. Lets take a look at the card, shall we?

Wrestlemania XX
Madison Square Garden, New York NY-March 14, 2004

Match 1
US Championship
John Cena vs The Big Show(c)

Match 2
Fatal Fourway World Tag Team Championship
RVD and Booker T(c) vs Garrison Cade and Mark Jindrak vs The Dudley Boyz vs La Resistance

Match 3
Christian vs Chris Jericho

Match 4
Evolution vs Rock N Sock Connection

Match 5
Playboy Evening Gown Match
Torrie Wilson and Sable vs Stacy Keibler and Miss Jackie

Match 6
Cruiserwieght Open for Cruiserweight Championship
Chavo Guerrero vs Ultimo Dragon vs Shannon Moore vs Jamie Noble vs Funaki vs Nunzio vs Billy Kidman vs Rey Mysterio vs Tajiri vs Akio

Match 7
Special Guest Ref: Stone Cold
Goldberg vs Brock Lesnar

Match 8
Fatal Fourway for WWE Tag Team Championships
Too Cool vs World's Greatest Tag Team vs Basham Brothers vs APA

Match 9
Hair vs Title Womens Championship Match
Victoria(c) vs Molly Holly

Math 10
WWE Championship
Eddie Guerrero(c) vs Kurt Angle

Match 11
The Undertaker vs Kane

Match 12
World Heavyweight Championship Triple Threat
Chris Benoit vs Shawn Michaels vs HHH(c)

Matches Of The Night

Match 4
Evolution vs Rock N Sock Connection

I thoroughly enjoyed this match. I mean, Evolution was running high, Orton a few months prior had showed the utmost disrespect to Foley by spitting in his face, The Rock had returned to wrestling in what would be his last appearance in a wrestling form for atleast 7 years. The build up to this, IMO, is how a feud should be. You had The Rock coming out on Raw after Foley agrees to a match with Evolution as long as he has a partner of his choice, we get This Is Your Life-Mick Foley edition, and of course this match. I have to admit, I was totally pulling for Foley and Rock in this match, but it made sense giving the win to Evolution. Plus after this, we had an AMAZING hardcore match between Foley and Orton at Backlash. All in all, a good match at the 20th edition of Wrestlemania.

Match 10
WWE Championship
Eddie Guerrero(c) vs Kurt Angle

Oh come on, like everyone didn't see this coming. You have Kurt Angle, who is amazing in the ring, and Eddie Guerrero, who imo, if he hadn't died, would still be running high as a top guy in WWE right now. Two great workers going at it in the ring. The match ended in usual Eddie fashion, after Guerrero loosened his boot, and Angle went to attempt his submission finisher the ankle lock only to pull Eddies boot off, Guerrero rolled up Angle for the win after what I would consider a decent showing between the two.

Match 12
World Heavyweight Championship Triple Threat
HBK vs Chris Benoit vs HHH(c)

What can I say about this match that hasn't been said yet? If you haven't seen this match, go watch it, and look for stuff that lead up to this match. I promise you, you will be one happy camper.

Duds of the Night

Match 5
Playboy Evening Gown Match
Torrie Wilson and Sable vs Stacy Keibler and Miss Jackie

Do i really need to explain why this was a dud? Look at the match type, and the participants. It screams dud.

Match 7
Special Ref: Stone Cold
Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg

Wait...you are telling me Goldberg, a man who went rampant in WCW with an undefeated streak, who finally came to the WWE is going to face Brock Lesnar, an indestructibly monster? THIS IS GOING TO BE F***ING EPIC! And wait...you are going to add Stone Cold Steve Austin as the special ref?!?!?! THIS IS GOING TO BE F***ING AMAZING EPIC!-----Wow...wow...that match was...was...F***ING GARBAGE! This match had such potential, but you know it is screwed up when the fans in attendance aren't into it because they know Goldberg and Lesnar are leaving. Literally the best part of this match, was Stone Cold nailing on a stunner on both.

Match 11
The Undertaker vs Kane

Now I am sure there will be those who disagree..heck I KNOW there will be others who disagree with me putting this as a dud. There have been people going "I'd rather see Kane face Taker over HHH, this sucks, why can't it be Kane". Well, I didn't see their previous WM match, but based on this one, I am glad it is going to be HHH. I remember seeing the build up to this, and was SO pumped for it. I thought it was going to be epic. Then the match occured. I had chills as Taker walked to the ring. The bell rung, and it all just went away. To me, this match was kind of a let down. I just expected something that would have me going "Wow...that was awesome" and all it was to me was "Meh..that was ok"

Shocker of The Night:
Trish Stratus turning on Chris Jericho to align with Christian.

Show Stealer Of The Night:
HHH vs Shawn Michaels vs Chris Benoit

Well with that, comes another end of Flash From The Past. Keep your eyes out for the next edition of Wrestling Blog Challenge where I try to take my title back from Renevious. If you like my choices, make sure to vote for me. Until next time everyone, stay raw!

Submit "Flash From The Past: Wrestlemania XX" to Digg Submit "Flash From The Past: Wrestlemania XX" to del.icio.us Submit "Flash From The Past: Wrestlemania XX" to StumbleUpon Submit "Flash From The Past: Wrestlemania XX" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bearkg88, I love you man. But this Wrestlemania was hot garbage. It had a couple awesome matches, but 80% of it was hella lame. That, my friend, is what I would like to call a rip off.
    Nice read but I gotta agree with Renevious, this was an awful Wrestlemania. Your blog was excellently written and I can understand why you like it, I did as a kid, but I think there was just too much going on to really call this a good Mania. Nice read though man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Renevious
    Bearkg88, I love you man. But this Wrestlemania was hot garbage. It had a couple awesome matches, but 80% of it was hella lame. That, my friend, is what I would like to call a rip off.
    Hey broheim. To each their own i guess. Out of all the WMs I have seen, this is the only one when someone says "Wrestlemania" I can name the majority of the matches because I enjoyed them, or i thought of them as a dud. I can see your point though with certain matches. Keep in eye out as I go down the list and you'll see what I consider the worst Mania I've seen
    Quote Originally Posted by RatedATB
    Nice read but I gotta agree with Renevious, this was an awful Wrestlemania. Your blog was excellently written and I can understand why you like it, I did as a kid, but I think there was just too much going on to really call this a good Mania. Nice read though man!
    To me, the thing only thing that made this Mania "suck" asides from the shitty Goldberg/Lesnar match, was the amount of matches. I mean, this card was just stuffed with matches compared to other Manias I remember. If they took away the Womens title match, the playboy evening going match, and the WWE tag team title match, and instead gave the other matches a few more minutes each, and did something different for Lesnar/Golderg then this would have been an amazing Mania to alot of others
    wow this brings back memories and maybe to people wrestlemania 20 was rubbish, but for me man...it was my first wrestlemania i realy watched, me and my mates all watched it together and chris benoit winning was one of the most emotional things ever. him and eddie at the end lifting the title together is a image il never forget....great memories and great read, cheers for that
    Interesting... This was the first Wrestlemania I ever watched in full. It still brings back memories. I agree: my favorite matches were the triple threat match for the WHC and Guerrero vs Angle. I also liked the Cruiserweight Open.
    I liked this Wrestlemania...it wasnt one of the worst 'Mania's of all time. The Christian-Jericho feud was awesome and they had a solid match here. Plus the Trish heel swerve was great.

Cena-Big Show was a solid opener. Cena was on such a rise at that point and to beat Big Show for the US title (who at the time was not the Wrestlemania disgrace he is today lol) was a great launch to his rise to the main event.

Undertaker-Kane, Lesnar-Goldberg, Evolution-Rock-n-Sock - none of these matches sucked. They all had more entertainment value than straight "wrestling masterpieces". I didnt dislike any of them. Evolution vs Rock-N-Sock was a good match. I always hated Goldberg - he is one of the most overrated wrestlers EVER...but this match, due to the crowd reaction and Stone Cold, was somewhat entertaining. Taker-Kane match wasn't horrible - it just wasn't epic. Taker's return was exciting though...which helped it.

Guerrero-Angle -I loved their story and match. Excellent work by both and loved that Eddie actually retained the title here. Didnt see that coming.

HHH-HBK-Benoit - I've often criticized this match. But not because I didn't like it. I liked this match. It was very good - solid main event. I remember wanting Shawn to win the title badly. I knew going into the match that Benoit or HHH would win. But I was so hoping I was wrong. That feeling hurt my appreciation for Benoit finally winning the big one. The match was very good though. Was a solid main event - probably one of the top 10 ever. I just thought the best two matches and storylines for this WM were Christian-Jericho and Guerrero-Angle. Overall it was a good Wrestlemania!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.