View RSS Feed

MR Boss

WBC#4:Top 5 Wrestlemania Matches

Rate this Entry
[COLOR=#333333][B][FONT=Verdana]Welcome to WBC(WrestlingBlogChallenge)Last week we had Renevious finally defeat the WBC Champion Bearkg88 in their gruesome feud in the first ever Triple Threat match. Bearkg88 was the Champion, so he gets a Title Rematch if he fails again hes at the back of the line, but if he wins him, and Renevious will have one more bout next week.
[/FONT]
WBC Tournament!

Their is going to be a WBC Tournament starting either later today or tomorrow. I will give more information when I post it.

Top 5 Wrestlemania Matches
[/B]
[B]
​Renevious List[/B]
[FONT=Verdana]Hey Guys, Renevious here again. I want to start by thanking everyone who has voted for me so far. I appreciate the support, and I'm really glad you enjoy my writing. This week's topic is [B]Top 5 Wrestlemania Matches [/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]and I couldn't be more excited.
[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#333333]
[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][B]To answer the Boss's questions, I absolutely love Wrestlemania. [/B]It is the very best time of the year for me. More memorable moments in wrestling history have happened at Wrestlemanias than any other event ever. I started watching wrestling back when I was about 5 or 6 years old, which was around the same time as the first Wrestlemania, so it's almost like a friend that I grew up with. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana][B]The Boss also asked if I think all Wrestlemania matches should have a great build up.[/B] That's a really good question, but ultimately I think not. Lately, Wrestlemania has been less than stellar to say the least, and I think a lot of that has to do with putting too much emphasis on the main event(s) and/or celebrity involvement. What that ends up doing is moving the spotlight away from a lot of the roster and eventually scaling down the card to a lot less matches than what we would like to see. Lately Wrestlemanias have had approxiamtely 7 matches, when back in the day, it was common to have at least a dozen. And quickly while I'm on the subject, did the WWE at some point forget what the term "MAIN EVENT" really means? I mean, we're at the doorstep of Wrestlemania 28, and they are THREE documented main events! With there only being six or seven matches total, pretty soon every single match is going to be a main event with no room for lower guys to show off and move up the card. I just think they're using the term "main event" a little liberally, and it's causing the term to lose all its impact. But I digress...on to the list.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[B]How does it feel to be WBC Champion?[/B]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]I do have to preface this by saying that as excited as I was to write this, it was very difficult. Not because I don't love Wrestlemania matches, but because I love them so much. It's almost like having to choose which of your kids you love the most, lol. Anyway, I hope you like it...
[/FONT][/COLOR][B]
5. Triple H, Shawn Michaels, and Chris Benoit (Wrestlemania 20)[/B][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#333333]
[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Now I already used this match in my triple threats list, but I definitely think it goes above and beyond that. This match, as we all know, was just balls to the wall from start to finish. It was one of the rare occasions in the post WWF era where we were actually emotionally involved in the outcome of this match. I remember how excited I was to finally see Chris Benoit get his moment of glory, not to mention being able to share it with his best friend Eddie Guerrero. Two guys who no one ever believed would be able to be world champions were celebrating together. Awesome.
[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#333333]

[/COLOR][/FONT][B]4. Stone Cold Steve Austin v. The Rock (Wrestlemania X-Seven)[/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]This match had it all. The lineup alone was enough to draw bigger than anything else the world of wrestling had to offer. If you don't believe it, just look at how these two guys have gone one on one at Wrestlemania on three separate occasions and never failed to deliver. This one was special in the sense that it was no holds barred, and these guys beat the ever living shit out of each other. My friends and I were there in attendance for this one, and we were all rooting for The Rock. We were a bunch of Rock marks in Stone Cold's backyard. But sure enough, Austin finally hit Rocky with enough chair shots to paralyze a blue whale and got the 3-count. But the kicker was the double-cross that we never thought we would see. When Stone Cold sold out to Mr. Mcmahon, it left all 70,000 of us with our jaws on the ground. That night, the attitude era went out with a bang. [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#333333]
[/COLOR][/FONT][B]
3. The Ultimate Warrior v. Macho King Randy Savage (Wrestlemania 7)
[/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]For those of you who don't already know, Randy Savage has been my favorite wrestler since day one. But, back then when I was a kid, the Ultimate Warrior was a close second. This match had them both. And this match showed the world what ring psychology and emotion was all about. If seeing Eddie and Chris celebrating gets me a little choked up, the end of this match makes me ball like a little bitch. We got to see an all out war between two of the most over guys in the history of wrestling, just to have it all capped off with the Macho Man and the 1st Lady of the WWF reunite after over two whole years of being apart. It was so over the top and so well executed by everyone involved, that to this day, it's still one of the most memorable moments in wrestling history.

[/FONT][/COLOR][B]2. Macho Man Randy Savage v. Ricky the Dragon Steamboat (Wrestlemania 3)[/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]This one is a no brainer. I don't care if you're a fan of either of these guys or not, this match is what wrestling is all about. These two mid card superstars took an event that was 100% built around the hype of Hogan v. Andre and stole the show. Hell, they didn't just steal the show. They stole it, melted it down, and put it on their mantle. These two guys owned that ring beginning to end. They gave new definition to putting on a clinic. It was just pure poetry in motion from the opening lock up all the way to the small package that ended it. Neither competitor missed a step, neither competitor lost pace, and neither competitor took his eye off the prize once. If you ever want to know why old school fans are always disappointed with today's matches, just watch this one and see what we compare things to.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[B]1. Bret the Hitman Hart v. Stone Cold Steve Austin (Wrestlemania 13)[/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]If you didn't see this one coming, then shame on you. My number 2 entry was a perfect example of what superior wrestling and ring psychology is all about. Well, this match is another example of the same, but times a million. The two greatest workers in the history of this business going one on one in an I Quit match. Now if these two guys would've just gone out there like any other night, I have no doubt it still would've been the match of the year. But, they took this to a whole different level. It's one thing to have someone do a character switch during or after a match (turning heel or face). These events are necessary to keep things fresh and entertaining. Not to mention, it's a really fun curve ball to play off of. But to be able to do a double switch simultaneously, and to have the entire crowd on their feet for it, is the work of true genius. Bret went into this match the face, and Austin went in as the heel. Once the match was said and done, we had the biggest heel in the WWF in Bret Hart, and beginning of the most memorable era ever in wrestling, THE AUSTIN ERA. The rest is history...
[/FONT][/COLOR][B]
Honorable Mention: Bret Hart v. Shawn Michaels (Iron Man Match, Wresltemania 12)[/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]I know what some of you are thinking. Renevious, how can this epic match not be on your top 5 list? I'm glad you asked that. Here's why. This match was no doubt one of the greatest exhibitions of pure in ring performance that we have ever witnessed, and it will never be duplicated or topped. It will forever be regarded as one of the greatest wrestling matches of all time. It was the best display of coordination, endurance, and conditioning since the days of Ricky Steamboat and Ric Flair. But there is one thing that all the matches in the top 5 had that this one didn't. And that is the uncertainty of the outcome. If you think back to every match I listed in my top 5, you know good and well that when these matches took place, you honestly wasn't sure who was going to win. They were all perfect examples of "this could go either way", and that was the beauty of them. We really just didn't know who was going to win until it happened. That is what excitement is all about. The Iron Man Match, however, didn't have that same spark. The hype leading up to this match was so lopsided that it was no surprise when it finally went down. Aside from it being an amazing match, deep down we all knew it was Shawn's time, and that he was leaving with the gold. For that reason and that reason alone, I can't include this match in my top 5. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed my list, and thanks in advance for your votes. Thanks for reading. God Bless.

[B]Bearkg88 List[/B]
[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Hey everyone. I guess it turns out I had a rematch for the WBC title since I was the champion, which I didn’t realize so to me that is cool. Since last week, I was thinking about why Renevious beat me. Then it dawned on me. When it has come to these challenges, whenever it has involved a match, I focused on what I had seen for myself, and nothing that occurred before I became a fan of wrestling, so when I was told about my rematch, I decided I wouldn’t make the same mistake again. I had a total of 8 matches I considered for the top 5 wrestlemania matches. This time, I sat down and rewatched each math, and for those I hadn’t seen the build up to, read on the build up to understand what was going on into the match. Now, something I want everyone to consider before the look at my list. I chose these matches for a few reasons.
[B]Should all Wrestlemania Matches have a great build up?[/B]The build up of the feud/match, the quality of the match, if there were any memorable or standout moments in the match, and the crowds reaction/interaction in the match.
[B]Now, my thoughts on Wrestlemania...[/B]it is simply amazing. It is the showcase of the Immortals, and it is the only PPV that since becoming a wrestling fan that I have never ever missed. It gives us those moments, those matches, that will forever stick in our mind. I believe if WM is consisted of 10 matches, 6 of those should have a great build up. I feel like that is why last years WM was kind of lackluster, as the build up was not really there in my opinion. Finally, before I get into my top 5.
[B]why I want to be WBC champion...[/B]is simply. I love blogging, I love having to pick my brain to make what I feel is the right choices(even if they aren’t popular), and lastly, this is fun to me. One last thing, these 5 I pick, could easily be rearranged by anyone based on their opinion, but to me, these 5, are truly the top 5 of all time. Now, without any further delay, lets get into my Top 5 Wrestlemania matches![/FONT][/COLOR]

[B]#5 Wrestlemania 22
Hardcore Match
Mick Foley vs Edge[/B]
[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Before this, you had Edge, the guy who had won MITB last year, cashed in at New Years Revolution to become the WWE champion, go on to have “live sex” on Raw with Lita, and became an insanely huge heel. You also had the likes of Mick Foley, the first ever WWF hardcore champion, the guy Taker threw off the top of a cell, the guy who a two years prior in his blowoff match with Orton, wowed us in another hardcore match. Foley returned to Raw when Cena challenged Edge for the WWE Champion as the guest referee, and after Cena won, Edge blamed Foley for his loss. I remember seeing the promos between these two as we went into WM, and I was so pumped for this! Now, this was no Steamboat vs Savage(we will get to that later), this helped further Edges career, and gave us many great memories, plus the crowd was popping insanely throughout the match. Of course the ending is what will always stick in my mind, when Edge speared Foley who was on the ring apron, through the ropes, down through a flaming table.

[/FONT][/COLOR][B]#4 Wrestlemania 12
WWF Iron Man Championship Match
Shawn Michaels vs Bret “The Hitman” Hart©
[/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]This was the first iron man match in the WWF, and it was between two of arguably the best ever in the business. Shawn Michaels had won the Royal Rumble in January of that year, guaranteeing him the main event title shot, and after having lost this title at last years WM, he was hungry to get it back. This match was another great match for the back and forth action, and another example of a great wrestling clinic. This was pure wrestling at its best. I don’t know what I can say about this match that hasn’t already been said. In my opinion, this was the best Iron Man match to date in the WWE.

[/FONT][/COLOR][B]# 3 Wrestlemania 3
Intercontinental Championship Match
Randy Savage© vs Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat.
[/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]This was another match I couldn’t find much build up for, so I am going to simply focus on the match. I’ve read others say ”Savage vs Steamboat best Mania match ever” and I kept saying to myself, what is so special about this match(keep in mind I have never really seen either wrestle), so when I sat down to watch this match, I was kind of skeptical. Well 14 minutes later, I realized what everyone was talking about. This was a great back and forth match between two amazing talents. Savage was on a roll as Intercontinental Champion, having gone almost 14 months as champion, and Steamboat was the perfect challenger. All of the near falls, of the big spots, all of the back and forth action, the crowd super red hot for this match, simply amazing. Of course we all know Steamboat walked away with the win from this one, but anyone who wants to see a true wrestling clinic, take the time to watch this match!

[/FONT][/COLOR][B]#2 Wrestlemania 17
Triple Threat TLC WWF Tag Team Championship Match
The Dudley Boyz© vs Edge and Christian vs The Hardy Boyz
[/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]So after last week when Renevious beat me, I thought it should be time I finally watch this match. Now I know why he picked it as his #1 in the last challenge. I didn’t find much in the build up to this, but here is what I figure. This was at a time when tag team wrestling was at a high. You had The Hardyz vs Edge and Christian at No Mercy in 1999 in a Ladder match, the three teams in a triple threat ladder match at WM 16, and TLC 1 at Summerslam 2000. The first moment that stuck out to me in this match, was when The Hardyz came off separate ladders to nail Christian in the middle of the ring, followed up by Bubba powerbombing Jeff onto Edge through a table. I could go on and on about moments in this match that had me on the edge of my seat, or rewinding to see that epic moment again, but I think it is better if you haven’t watched this match to go and watch it, and if you have, well, take 20 minutes out of your day and rewatch and you will be amazed again. To me, this crowd was pretty hot throughout the match, with moments of coolness while something epic was being set up. I’m going to end this review of this match, with my favorite moment from this match. It was when Jeff was trying to walk across the ladders to get to the tag titles, which while it didn’t work(I wish it had cause that would have been sweet), it led to Edge spearing Jeff down to the ring which was epic! And we have seen numerous times since it occurred. I can not do this match justice with words. You simply have to watch it.

[/FONT][/COLOR][B]#1 Wrestlemania 17
WWF Championship/No DQ Match
The Rock© vs Stone Cold Steve Austin
[/B][COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Well, I couldn’t find much in regards to the build up of this match, other than what was obvious. Austin had won the rumble that year, guaranteeing him a shot at WM, and The Rock had picked up the WWF Championship against Kurt Angle in February at No Way Out. While I may not have found much other than that about this build up, I can only assume it was epic. You had both Austin and The Rock in their primes, two great people on the mics, two people who have given us epic moments in the ring. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this match, and before this, was considering getting the dvds put out recently on The Rock and Stone Cold, and after seeing this match, I am most definitely going to. When The Rock had Stone Cold in a sharpshooter, and both men were covered in blood, I had flashes of images from when Bret Hart faced Stone Cold at Wrestlemania. I knew of course that Stone Cold won this, but I didn’t know how, so I refrained from fully reading results so I could enjoy this match, and I definitely did. I am sure the whole world was surprised by McMahon helping Austin in this match, I know I certainly was. My only complaint with this, was the finish. To me, it would have made more sense after Austin went wild with chair shots on The Rock, to lift him up, flip him the bird, hit a stunner, and get the pin. Other than that though, this was an epic match. I haven’t seen their WM 15 match, but I can say to me, this was better than their WM 19 match. So many different spots throughout the match for me to name individually, and the fact the crowd was red made it a great match. Oh, and one thing I also enjoyed, Jim Ross and Paul Frickin Heyman on commentary![/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Well guys and gals, my list is said and done. I hope you guys agree with me and vote for me, and if not,, well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Until next time everyon![/FONT]

[B][FONT=Verdana]These two have been going at it against each other since WBC#2. This could be the end of the chapter for their feud or that could be next week. It is basically all up to you with you're votes who gets the win. It is going to be the new! WBC Champion Renevious or barking mad bearkg88.[/FONT][/B]
[/COLOR]

Submit "WBC#4:Top 5 Wrestlemania Matches" to Digg Submit "WBC#4:Top 5 Wrestlemania Matches" to del.icio.us Submit "WBC#4:Top 5 Wrestlemania Matches" to StumbleUpon Submit "WBC#4:Top 5 Wrestlemania Matches" to Google

Updated 03-08-2012 at 01:54 PM by MR Boss

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I'm going with Renevious. Savage will always be the true show stopper.
    Renevious. More Macho Man is always better!
    I'm gonna go with Bearkg purely for TLC.
    I liked both of these lists a lot, but Beark kind of told on himself a bit when he said he had to go back and watch some of this stuff for the first time and also that he still hasn't seen Austin/Rock pt.1 from WM15. Now I'm not saying it's better than pt. 2, because it's not, but how can you pick a true top 5 list without seeing them all? For that I'm going to have to tip my hat to Renevious for this one.
    My Top 5 reasons why I'm voting for Renevious:
    1. He has Savage versus Warrior which was well-explained by him especially the ending. The conclusion of that match is a tear jerker with an added stipulation, it's a retirement match.
    2. He has Hart-Austin.
    3. He has Savage-Steamboat - the Wrestlemania standard for wrestling clinic.
    4. The Bear guy doesn't know the build up between Savage and Steamboat, there is a great story behind it, I'll give you another try/chance to google it over. But I'll give you a hindsight, Savage hits Steamboat with the bell on his throat prior.
    5. The Bear man is in love with hardcore wrestling.
    wow I read Renevious list and I thought I was reading my own, Then I seen No Bret and Owen... Both guys did a
    Good job, I was expecting the cliche Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker Mania matches as number 1 but im glad these guys went a different routh.

Renevious Gets my vote, Love his comments and he makes some great lists also.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    wow I read Renevious list and I thought I was reading my own, Then I seen No Bret and Owen... Both guys did a
    Good job, I was expecting the cliche Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker Mania matches as number 1 but im glad these guys went a different routh.

Renevious Gets my vote, Love his comments and he makes some great lists also.
    Thanks for that, Crippler. I totally had Bret and Owen in mind, but I didn't use it for one reason. I felt like their cage match at Summerslam was the ultimate match between them.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.