View RSS Feed

Glamour Girl

The biggest heel in WWE

Rate this Entry
Hey guys! I Haven't written any blogs in a while so hopefully I'm not too rusty. Today I wish to discuss a subject I've read alot about and felt like giving my 2 cents on and that subject is the biggest heel in WWE. In order to do this I think a brief history lesson is in order.

As many of us know the Attitude Era was considered a great era in wrestling history, one that is truly missed among many including myself, but many people believe the reason it's so missed is because of the violence, blood and sexual content and while some indeed miss it for those reasons I feel the reasons it's mostly missed is something else altogether. The Attitude Era was the last era with great gimmicks in WWE, great faces, great heels, great divas and great tag teams. Of course not everyone involved in that era contributed the same, but it was a hell of alot more entertaining. There were many big names known not only in the wrestling world itself, but in the whole world; names like: The Rock, Stone Cold, Triple H and The Undertaker became legendary and capable of playing both face and heel roles convincingly. The divas became famous in the form of Sable and the tag team division had exciting tag teams like the Dudley Boyz, The Hardy Boys, Edge and Christian and a few others. Even with a PG rating they had a formula for success back then, one that if implemented today would make the product much more interesting.

Fast forward a bit and what do we have? No tag team division (just a handful of teams), a horribly boring divas division (I don't think even Kharma can save it) and no heels that truly rival faces. In my opinion, the biggest heel in WWE right now is John Cena. Even if WWE refuses to turn him officially heel because they are too worried about their merchandise sales the fact remains nobody gets more heat than him. I'm not a Cena fan and as a fan of wrestling and not the backstage politics I don't care for Cena at all. Alot of people talk about his charity work and while that's all nice and great it doesn't weight in on how I as a fan view him or how his character is handled. He's not the best in ring worker, he's able to do good promos, but they come off so corny and stale that it doesn't do anything for me and his worst fault is that he burries his opponents. No heel will ever be able to be the top heel until he's made to look less invincible. I mean the only people who seem to get close to as much heat as Cena are sadly non wrestlers such as John Laurinitis and Vicki Guerrero. How sad is it that none of the heel wrestlers can manage to get half as much heat as Cena? It's gotten to a point where most heels who go against Cena will be liked more than Cena is.

The only 2 wrestlers I think could be able to take the top heel spot from Cena are Orton and CM Punk, but these 2 have been made faces and in my opinion WWE is afraid of making them heel because they know that these 2 are popular enough to be expected to rival Cena, but since Cena burries everyone in his path they'd be forced to either allow Cena to burry Orton and/or Punk, or allow them to beat him which would lead to a rematch in which they get burried or actually hurting Cena's super hero gimmick and they don't want to do either one which keeps these 2 guys faces and away from Cena's war path.

Of the actual heel wrestlers in WWE many have tried to be the top heel only to get burried and some near forgotten. Guys like Kane, ADR, The Miz, R-Truth, Seamus, etc have all tried and failed which leads me to believe there really is no hope for a heel wrestler to be seen as a big name or top guy like during the days of the Attitude Era.

So in conclusion I believe that as long as there is a Super Cena the fans will have to comform to the idea that he will be both the top face and the top heel in the modern WWE.

Submit "The biggest heel in WWE" to Digg Submit "The biggest heel in WWE" to del.icio.us Submit "The biggest heel in WWE" to StumbleUpon Submit "The biggest heel in WWE" to Google

Tags: john cena, wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good Read. I too miss the Attitude Era. I have always been a wrestling fan, but the Attitude Era was the roster that got me totally hooked and wish there could be signs of it returning. Seeing Kane come back with his mask showed hope for me, but now like everyone has been saying, the WWE is burying Kane yet AGAIN. Making John Cena officially a heel would bring some of the ratings back I think. The people want to see it. However, merchandising is a big piece of the pie for the WWE and if making John Cena a heel would hurt that, there is no way they will make him officially a heel. Good Blog. High Agreement!
    I will agree that the attitude era was great (mostly because of WCW imo), but the golden age era (1984-1992) was the cream of the crop! t had better storyline build up (3 months between PPVs), more charismatic wrestlers (not even the Rock can hold a candle to Jake "the Snake" Roberts promos), Better feuds (due to buildups), better Tagteams, better announcers (Bobby Heenan/Monsoon or Jesse Ventura/Vince were much better than Lawler/Ross imo).

The attitude era, although very entertaining, consisted of very little wrestling and catchphrases for cheap pops. I find it really ironic that people who complain that there is not enough wrestling in wrestling promotions today are the same people who claim the attitude era as the best era.

I grew up on the Golden era and attitude era and the one thing I have realized is that what ever era you grow up on is always the best era in your opinion. If you ask the 12-15 yr olds today what the best era in wrestling was in 10-15 yrs from now, they will most likely say it is the "PG" or "Cena" era and they will be bitching about the current era being not as good.
    IMO Miz can draw good heat
    So can Cody Rhodes.
    @Sony, your spot on mate, I remember watching Bret Hart v Curt Henning recently; it was a early match before Curt became Mr Perfect. It was only a random TV match and yet watching actually made me sad, because it has been so long since I enjoyed wrestling the way I did back then. Sometimes I think like you said; maybe it was just me remembering my childhood with rose tinted glasses. But I don't think thats the case; everything was so rushed during the attitude era, that you never really had time to build anticipation. The tension built up during the months before one of the big 4 supercards, is something that people who never lived through that era will ever understand. I for one; would take Randy Savage v Ricky Steamboat over any possible match nowadays. Now that I think of it; think Randy Savage, and then think of the superstars nowadays; they are mostly all cookie cutters; no out the world personalties anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sony
    I will agree that the attitude era was great (mostly because of WCW imo), but the golden age era (1984-1992) was the cream of the crop! t had better storyline build up (3 months between PPVs), more charismatic wrestlers (not even the Rock can hold a candle to Jake "the Snake" Roberts promos), Better feuds (due to buildups), better Tagteams, better announcers (Bobby Heenan/Monsoon or Jesse Ventura/Vince were much better than Lawler/Ross imo).

The attitude era, although very entertaining, consisted of very little wrestling and catchphrases for cheap pops. I find it really ironic that people who complain that there is not enough wrestling in wrestling promotions today are the same people who claim the attitude era as the best era.

I grew up on the Golden era and attitude era and the one thing I have realized is that what ever era you grow up on is always the best era in your opinion. If you ask the 12-15 yr olds today what the best era in wrestling was in 10-15 yrs from now, they will most likely say it is the "PG" or "Cena" era and they will be bitching about the current era being not as good.
    Good blog. Don't agree with you on the "Cena buries everyone in his path" part though. But good blog nonetheless.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.