View RSS Feed

Rated_R(ob)KO

STATE OF THE 'E: My Favorite WrestleMania Matches (Part. 01)

Rate this Entry
Welcome to yet ANOTHER edition of SOT'E in blog form! As per usual, its [B]OFTEN [/B]imitated and [B]NEVER[/B] duplicated! Always remember that! :cool: Now, today I'd like to discuss something very near and dear to my heart. With us only a few weeks away from WrestleMania I figured I'd give you guys a look into my private personal favorite WrestleMania matches of all time.

Yes, I understand a lot of matches are on a "measuring stick" as the greatest but, that doesn't necessarily mean I have to like them for them to be PERSONAL favorites. :) I'm going to put them in list order and also tell you what I was doing when I saw them.

Now keep in mind, I have had the chance to literally see every single WrestleMania live while it happened but, I obviously don't remember andything from the first couple events because I was only one and two lol. I can tell you that age three while watching Hulk Hogan slam Andre The Giant, I was in awe. That is my first wrestling memory that had impact. I'm pretty sure I told you guys that before but, it's been a while.

I love WrestleMania with as much love as one can give to wrestling. Yeah, there've been a few bad ones... I'm looking at you WrestleMania IX, XIII, XXVII specifically... granted, they had some great matches and moments but, the good was hindered by the bad. I'm sitting here gushing like an idiot over my memories already and I haven't even started yet so, let's get into it, shall we?

[B]10.) BROCK LESNAR vs GOLDBERG:
MARCH 14TH, 2004 -- WrestleMania XX

[/B]This match is on here because of the amazing tomfoolery that transpired during. Stone Cold was the special referee and we were supposed to be treated to something special but instead we got one of the worst matches in Mania history. So you're probably asking why it's on my Top 10. Simply because I have fond memories with that match.

I was with a bunch of friends and we were quite drunk haha. There were plenty of booze and snacks to go around. And when the match kicked off and nothing happened we all were livid. The NY crowd didn't disappoint either. They RIPPED into the guys telling them they sold out and a whole bunch of other crap. SCSA was living it up too, man. He was in his glory at how the fans booed damn near everything.

You can tell how furious the guys were and that's what truly made it special to me.

[B]09.) JOHN CENA vs BATISTA
MARCH 28TH, 2010 -- WrestleMania XXVI
(WWE CHAMPIONSHIP)

[/B]I'm including this one because truthfully, it was an honest to goodness surprise. No one and I mean, NO ONE really thought that these two were going to put on that entertaining of a match. They went outside of their typical moveset here and completely put on a well deserved match. I was sitting there with my son watching the show and the glimmer in his eyes were damn close to what I had when Hogan slammed Andre. You could tell that the match meaned a lot to him.

And maybe it was because of his youthfulness and his pureness with wrestling that I feel this way about the match but either way, it definitely has a spot here because these guys gave their all. Cena jumping into a Batista bomb is something that is solidified in my memory.

[B]08.) "MACHO MAN" RANDY SAVAGE vs RICKY "THE DRAGON" STEAMBOAT
MARCH 29TH, 1987 -- WrestleMania III
(WWF INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP)

[/B]This match was a clinic. The first real surprising thing in Mania history. Everyone knew going into it that it was going to be great but no one knew it was going to steal the show like it did. This match was the epitome of what a Mania match should be. I remember bits and pieces of watching it live. But, when I looked back on the show a couple years after watching it live, I understood what people were talking about.

I loved the Hogan slamming Andre part, everyone else loved that match. I remember sitting in a bar with my dad watching it. Yes, a bar. Closed circut TV is a mother****** to get where I'm from. And during that time it was only the local bars around here that had it.

[B]07.) SHAWN MICHAELS vs BRET "THE HITMAN" HART
MARCH 31ST, 1996 -- WRESTLEMANIA XII
(60 MINUTE IRON MAN MATCH/ WWF CHAMPIONSHIP)

[/B]Of course this match is on here. I was getting into my teenage years here and when these guys went at it I knew I was seeing something awesome. I'm not going to lie, I was SO into this match when it happened that I felt like I was the one getting hit and taking bumps. I was jumping around for Shawn Michaels when he won the match.

A few miles away one of my friends now was crying when he won. He of course has modeled his life after good ol' HBK and always remembers the famous words: "The Boyhood Dream Has Come Alive..." It was definitely one of those matches for a Michaels fan and for fans of wrestling from that era.

[B]06.) THE ROCK vs "STONE COLD" STEVE AUSTIN
MARCH 28TH, 1999 -- WRESTLEMANIA XV
(NO DQ/WWF CHAMPIONSHIP)

[/B]I was at this show. My first and only WrestleMania so far... obviously that will change when XXIX comes to my next of the woods. :) I remember being in awe of the spectacle I witnessed. This match however was one of the best moments of my young life.

When I saw this match I was floored. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing with The Corporation being banned, and everything happening during the match, Stone Cold getting his beating from the chair and Foley, just everything. The Rock took that famous first WrestleMania stunner and Stone Cold won in Philly. That roof blew off the stadium and we cheered for what felt like hours. It was amazing.

[B](TO BE CONTNUED -- NOW)[/B]

Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: My Favorite WrestleMania Matches (Part. 01)" to Digg Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: My Favorite WrestleMania Matches (Part. 01)" to del.icio.us Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: My Favorite WrestleMania Matches (Part. 01)" to StumbleUpon Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: My Favorite WrestleMania Matches (Part. 01)" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Good blog man... I know you didn't like Wrestlemania 17, but I like it for one reason, that was my first Wrestlemania. I've always wanted to go but financially it was difficult. This time was different, so I left to Houston to witness this event, and to see Motor Head play HHH's song live was pretty cool. The matches you listed were well explained. Good job man.
    There's still one more part to be posted but, I have no idea why it wasn't.
    And thanks man! I love WrestleMania haha.
    Good blog. Nice to see you went with your own personal choices like I did with my blog rather than with what everyone else wants. Mine was also split into two parts and the first part never got put up so you may want to email whoever is in charge of the blogs if it ain't coming up.

Also nice to see The Rock Vs Austin at WMXV get some love. Everyone seems to forget about this one but at the time is was the match everyone wanted to see and these two were off the scale. Brilliant match.
    Thanks man! Yeah, I was supposed to have control of my blogs but Frank never allowed me to for some reason. And yeah, SCSA vs Rock was amazing! And to witness it live was something I will always remember. One of the best memories I have from my youth... seeing that Stunner live was just fantastic!
    R(ob) this blog only makes me even more excited for Wrestlemania. Ever since I started watching around WMXX I have always felt feeling in the air something big is happening. I'm going to my first Mania next year. bank on it!

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.