View RSS Feed

Spextasy

Why WrestleMania Needs MitB

Rate this Entry
To provide a little backstory for my feelings on the subject, let me explain why the MitB match @ 'Mania, as opposed to having it's own PPV is so personal to me.

Let's travel back to a magical time... March 14th, 2004. Wrestlemania XX. What does Mania 20 have to do with MitB, you might ask? Stay with me! My boyfriend and I had just met about a month before, and found we had 1 big thing in common. We were both lifelong wrestling fans. And so we bonded, even after the Attitude Era. So of course, Wrestlemania was a big night for both of us, even though we found out we were usually on opposing sides when it came to matches. Growing up, I found out, he was a huge Hulkamaniac, while I've always been a Macho Madness girl. He had also been a WcW fanatic, while I rarely switched over from Raw during the Monday Night Wars, unless it was to see Macho or Sting, and later Goldberg. But we did have a few favorites in common, that we could agree on, such as Goldberg himself, DX (even though he was more of a HHH fan and I've always been a diehard HBK mark.) and of course, Taker and Stone Cold. So began our journey of rarely being behind the same competitor. Today, the only 1 wrestler, and no I do not mean sports entertainer, that we can actually both be on the same side of the room during their match, is Taker (excluding, of course, WM 25 and 6, when I was on the other side.)
So now, going forward to WM 21, We have 2 matches that are very important to my point. The Streak. And, of course, MitB.
1.) The Streak, of course, we still have, maybe only for another couple of years, but it's still something to look forward to each year. With this year, we both are just flabbergasted that Triple H gets another shot, and we both feel he'll lose again. So, what's the point? They've taken something we both usually look forward to, in the months leading up to Mania, and dulled it down. Trips has had 2 shots, it's someone else's turn. (So they've sort of robbed us of THAT particular moment of magic as well.)
2.) The MitB. And now we're there. This is my whole point. For years my bf's interest in wrestling, and more specifically the WWE has started to fade. (He has started to enjoy TNA with me, thanks mostly to Sting, EY / ODB, and Jeff Hardy.) But usually, during the MitB match, we almost ALWAYS cheered for the same person. Later, we jokingly started backing Shelton together, because he always put the most into the match, had the biggest moments, but NEVER won the damned thing! But ultimately, when they removed the MitB match from Mania, a couple years ago (and also after Eddie / Benoit died and Goldberg / SCSA were gone) he would only come in the room to watch Taker's matches. On top of that, I have some friends who, the last few years, have just not ordered WM on PPV because, in their words, MitB was the best part, and they'll just lather, rinse, repeat, the "rematch clauses" and "main event storyline continutations" at Backlash etc. anyway....

So now they've removed it from the WM card again. I'll still order and watch it because A.) I've not missed a Wrestlemnia since I was 6 years old and B.) yes, I'm a Cena fan, and C.) even though I feel someone younger and with something to prove deserves a shot at Taker, I still care about the streak. But at the end of the day, MitB is a highlight of WM that people look forward to. Mania isn't a PPV, it's an event that we build up to ALL YEAR. MitB began, and imo should STILL BE, a part of that EVENT. It's a nice change to the middle of the PPV where, in past years, there hasn't really been anything all that exciting. To me, Mania isn't just about the main events, it's about letting the mid-card and lesser knowns shine as well. Shelton Benjamin was never considered main event status by a lot of people, but his performances in the MitB matches in past years stand out to me, just as an example. I'm wondering what they plan to do with some of the people who aren't yet scheduled for matches this year, I think some of them could really turn it up in a MitB / ladder setting.

As it stands, I think this will be another year of watching most of Mania by myself, and fetching my bf from the other room when they start recapping for the Streak match. Which makes me sad, because with MitB somewhere in the middle of the card, he would usually sit and watch the whole thing. Although I do think he'll be a little invested in the Rock / Cena ME just to chant "boots to asses" to piss me off.

I know I digressed a little, but I tried to stay on topic and make my points as well as I could without getting carried away. What are your feelings on no MitB at Mania again? Do you think it deserves it's own PPV?
Thanks for reading.

#HBKFan4Life aka Spextasy

Submit "Why WrestleMania Needs MitB" to Digg Submit "Why WrestleMania Needs MitB" to del.icio.us Submit "Why WrestleMania Needs MitB" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why WrestleMania Needs MitB" to Google

Updated 03-05-2012 at 11:29 AM by Frank

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Im not sure if you read the reports on ewn or not, but there was an article stating mitb was originally slated to happen at wm with barrett pegged to win, but since he is injured they scrapped it. I am not going to bash you in this blog, as I can understand the want to have ur bf be as enthusiatic about the whole wm card as you are. To me though, I think on a bigger picture type deal having mitb scrapped and being its own ppv is an excellent idea. Ill explain later though in a blog im writing, so keep an eye out. Anyways, decent blog, and I definitely get your point.
    I think MITB as it's own PPV is a bad idea due to there being 2 MITB matches, it kinda takes away the important Wrestlemania feel of it. They should definitely make it a WM tradition. Although for this year's WM, I'm sure they held out because they already have three big main events with a very great build...save the MITB match for WM in NY/NJ next year The streak will be retired in a year or two so they'll have to bring it back.
    I agree with RockerDropper, MITB should only be at mania, its a shame that they have dropped it I'm dissapointed, it would have given some of the midcarders a chance to shine on the grandest stage, there are a lot of talent that don't have a match yet so I'll be interested to see what happens with them, i still can't wait for wrestlemania though! I enjoyed this blog well done!
    I seem to remember the days when the midcard titles actually meant something. Weren't just looking forward to the main event, but the whole ppv. You would want to hear what Hardyz, Dudleyz, Too Cool, Hardyz, APA, Outlaws, and so on had to say. You wanted to hear what guys like Jericho, Benoit, Christian, RVD, and so on had to say about the IC title. When you wanted to see divas like Molly Holly, Jazz, Victoria, Trish, Lita, Chyna, Ivory and so on battle for that prize. Where they actually talked about why the prize they were battling for was important. They not only showed in their promos, but in the ring as well with Ladder matches, steel cage matches, and so on.
    Good read, an from a girl too which is strange! But you seem to know your stuff and seem passionate about what your saying so well done, I think they should have it at Wrestlemania, as someone pointed out it was scheduled but due to Wade Barrett going down with an injury it was scrapped, I hate the whole two MITB winners concept,it was far better in the old days when it was 3 guys from Raw and 3 from Smackdown, it just feels like WWE are cashing in (no pun intended) on yet another gimmick concept and making it a PPV, it would not in the least surprise me if they decided to do a PPV called 'Steel Cage' FFS. I think a way too get round this would be to have maybe a six man ladder match for the IC or US belts, at least that way a lot of talent who arent getting a spot at WM would have a chance but it's highly unlikely that will happen, anyways good blog keep em coming!
    I want MitB at Mania but not this Mania. If they actually do this triple threat tag match and Long vs Lauranitis it would be good. But I'd like them to scrap the ppv MitB and act like its just not gonna happen again then we get it at next years Mania
    I feel like I'm gonna be on my own here, but as much as I enjoyed MitB at WrestleMania (loved Shelton's input - better Swanton than Jeff Hardy lol) I quite like the PPVs it's had already. It's a damn sight better than having a Hell in a Cell PPV (that is one match that is much better as a surprise, see: this year's WrestleMania), and it seems to have become one of those PPVs where you know a change is coming. I do fear that it'll become stale though.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.