View RSS Feed

Dubs

WWE: Failed Top 10 World Title retains

Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
What's up blog readers! Now before, I did a 'WWE: Failed Top 10 World Title wins' blog but now, I'm going to a 'WWE: Failed Top 10 World Title retains' blog. I'm going to count down the World Title retains that should have changed hands. Lets get to it!

#10: John Cena retains against Orton at Summerslam 2007
Now I'm a fan of John Cena and a defender of his but he shouldn't have been booked to retain against Randy Orton. It was Randy Orton's night to win, being the top heel in 2007. Randy Orton took everybody out except for Cena so a win at Summerslam 2007 would have been big for him. No point in having Cena retain here.

#9: Stone Cold retains against Kurt Angle at Summerslam 2001
Don't get me wrong, the match was phenomenal but I saw this as a perfect opportunity for Kurt Angle to win his second WWE Title here. Angle and Austin had a heated feud so having Kurt Angle come out the winner of this awesome match would have been great to see. Besides, Angle would win it at the next PPV Unforgiving so I don't get why they didn't put the belt on Angle at Summerslam.

#8: Sheamus retains against Randy Orton at Summerslam 2010
I like Sheamus but his second WWE Title reign was dull. Randy Orton winning here would have been great since he was becoming a top face along with John Cena. Orton would then win the WWE Title in a six-pack challenge at Night of Champions which doesn't make sense. Why make Randy Orton win at the next PPV when he could have won it at Summerslam?

#7: Randy Orton retains against John Cena and Triple H at Wrestlemania 24 2008
Honestly, I didn't get the point of Orton retaining here. I thought his 1st reign as WWE Champion was awesome but no way should he have retained the WWE Title at Wrestlemania 24. I would have went with Cena winning since he came back from an injury and won the 2008 Royal Rumble. A win here for Cena would have been great IMO. It would have made things more special since he came back from an injury that put him on the shelf for months.

#6: Diesel retains against Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania 11 1995
I hated this retain. Diesel's WWE Title reign was boring so having a new, breakout star in Shawn Michaels winning the WWE Title would have been great to see. It also would have helped the Wrestlemania 11 PPV because that PPV was one of the worst Wrestlemania PPVs ever.

#5: Triple H retains against Randy Orton at Wrestlemaina 25 2009
I thought Randy Orton should have won here. I get that faces usually retains and/or captures the WWE Title at Wrestlemaina but it was a perfect time to put the WWE Title on Randy Orton that night. Randy Orton was the top heel in 2009, taking out the Mcmahons, and even kissing Stephanie Mcmahon on the lips so Randy Orton beating Triple H would have made Randy Orton more of a hated heel. Triple H would lose the WWE Title in a six-man tag team match against Randy Orton at Backlash, making Triple H's WWE Title retain unnecessary.

#4 Hulk Hogan retains against Mr. Perfect at Wrestlefest 1990
This match could have been Mr. Perfect's moment. It could have been his first time becoming a WWE Champion but no, WWE had Hogan retain via DQ. That was a perfect time to give the belt to Mr. Perfect but WWE let it slip away. Mr. Perfect was on a role in the late 80's and early 90's and should have won the WWE Championship against Hogan.

#3: Triple H retains at Wrestlemania 16 2000
Triple H should not have retained here. His WWE Title reign was starting to get a little boring so having The Rock win the WWE Title at Wrestlemania 2000 would have been a good move. The Rock was insanely over in 2000, being the top man in the WWE since Stone Cold was injured so having him win here was necessary. It would have helped this PPV not be so boring.

#2: Triple H retains against Booker T at Wrestlemania 19 2003
Triple H got a lot of heat for holding on to the World Heavyweight Title for a long time in 2003 and with good reason. They even labeled his World Heavyweight Title reign as the reign of terror. Booker T would lose to Triple H at Wrestlemania 19, which gave Triple H even more heat. I can't blame them either. Booker T was finally getting a push and could have won the World Heavyweight Title at Wrestlemania 19 but got buried by Triple H. Hell, Triple H buried him on the mic before their Wrestlemania 19 match as well with him saying "People like Booker T aren't fit to be a World Champion". I'm a fan of Triple H but Booker T winning the World Heavyweight Title at Wrestlemania 19 would have been a great moment for him. Too bad it didn't happen.

#1 Yokozuna retains against Lex Luger at Summerslam 1993
To this day, I never understood why WWE had Yokozuna retain the WWE Title at Summerslam. That is one of the most head-scratching moments in wrestling. Lex Luger was being built like the future of the company since Hogan left. Although Bret Hart was carrying the company, Luger was going to be WWE's next Hogan but once Yokozuna retained at Summerslam via DQ, Luger's WWE career went downhill. He would then go to WCW and have a mediocre push. If anyone can tell me the reason why Luger didn't win the WWE Title at Summerslam, please do because I just don't understand. It boggles my mind sometimes.

Thanks for reading! As usual, give me your thoughts whether its negative or positive!

Submit "WWE: Failed Top 10 World Title retains" to Digg Submit "WWE: Failed Top 10 World Title retains" to del.icio.us Submit "WWE: Failed Top 10 World Title retains" to StumbleUpon Submit "WWE: Failed Top 10 World Title retains" to Google

Updated 03-04-2012 at 09:50 PM by Dubs

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Everyone seems to forget about Bob Backlund winning the title vs Bret Hart in a 40 minute submission match only to lose the title 2 days later in 90 seconds to diesel. That was the most pointless title reign ever, outside of the less than an hour title reigns that wwe has been doing ever since the money in the bank thing started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick BoA
    Everyone seems to forget about Bob Backlund winning the title vs Bret Hart in a 40 minute submission match only to lose the title 2 days later in 90 seconds to diesel. That was the most pointless title reign ever, outside of the less than an hour title reigns that wwe has been doing ever since the money in the bank thing started.
    That's a Title win though, not a Title retain.
    I have to disagree with the Michaels and Diesel one. Shawns moment when he first won the title was great and the fact that it was his first at that time made it special
    I don't understand why almost everybody here keeps saying Mr Perfect should have won the HW title! Yes, he was a great wrestler and a great character, but during his time, nobody was saying that "we want him as a HW champion" over wrestlers such as Hogan, Warrior, Macho Man, ect. If you you want to argue the fact that he should have been HW champion, than The million Dollar Man also should have been champion along with Jake "the snake" Roberts. Fact is, Perfect was no where as popular as Hogan, Warrior, or Macho. Not to mention Vince always had a man crush on wrestlers who looked like they could bench press a 1000 lbs. Also Vince would not make him champion due to merchandising reasons since the others pulled in more money obviously.

Also I realize you can make the argument that Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels were Given title runs, so why not perfect! The reason would be due to the steroid scandal of 1992. Vince had to distance himself from the bodybuilding type, so warrior and Bulldog were fired, while Hogan took a leave of absence. This gave Bret and Shawn the opportunity to shine in the main events. TBH, if it wasn't for the steroid scandal, guys like Bret and Shawn would probably never have gotten their shot at the main events and would have been relegated as either tag team competitors or wrestling for the I.C. at best. They were at the right place at the right time. This occurred when Hening's body was starting to fall apart due to injuries.

As far as your question as to why Luger never won the Championship against Yokozuna, well thats simple. Vince likes his babyface champions to be vulnerable. He likes them to take a beating and than comeback against all odds to win. He feels it connects with the audience better. This is why Goldberg was so miserable in the WWE. Goldberg felt that he should be used as a dominant competitor, like he was in WCW, but Vince didn't see it that way.

BTW, I don;t agree with your statement of Luger getting a mediocre push in WCW. The man was a multiple times HW champion there. Not to mention his US title runs and tag team championship runs. After Sting and the Horsemen, Luger was one of the main faces of WCW before the NWO angle, and during.
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestlingfan66513
    I have to disagree with the Michaels and Diesel one. Shawns moment when he first won the title was great and the fact that it was his first at that time made it special
    Honestly, his win over Bret Hart was too predictable but I understand your point. Though Shawn winning against Diesel wouldn't have been bad either since they were both top guys at the time.
    Great blog DUBS.

One I would have put on there is John Cena retaining against Bobby Lashley at the great american bash in 2007. I love Cena, but he already had the title for almost a year, and Lashley seemed like the perfect person to drop it to at that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sony
    I don't understand why almost everybody here keeps saying Mr Perfect should have won the HW title! Yes, he was a great wrestler and a great character, but during his time, nobody was saying that "we want him as a HW champion" over wrestlers such as Hogan, Warrior, Macho Man, ect. If you you want to argue the fact that he should have been HW champion, than The million Dollar Man also should have been champion along with Jake "the snake" Roberts. Fact is, Perfect was no where as popular as Hogan, Warrior, or Macho. Not to mention Vince always had a man crush on wrestlers who looked like they could bench press a 1000 lbs. Also Vince would not make him champion due to merchandising reasons since the others pulled in more money obviously.
    Well of course people aren't going to be vocal about him winning the WWE Title because their were no smarks back then and he was a heel. I seen that as a perfect time to put the belt on Mr. Perfect. He knew how to draw heel heat. I'm pretty sure WWE could have at least took a chance on him. He was the whole package. Plus, there weren't that many top heels in the start of the 1990's, hence why they booked Hogan (Face) vs Warrior (Face) at Wrestlemaina so IMO, pushing Perfect as their top heel would have been awesome.

Also I realize you can make the argument that Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels were Given title runs, so why not perfect! The reason would be due to the steroid scandal of 1992. Vince had to distance himself from the bodybuilding type, so warrior and Bulldog were fired, while Hogan took a leave of absence. This gave Bret and Shawn the opportunity to shine in the main events. TBH, if it wasn't for the steroid scandal, guys like Bret and Shawn would probably never have gotten their shot at the main events and would have been relegated as either tag team competitors or wrestling for the I.C. at best. They were at the right place at the right time. This occurred when Hening's body was starting to fall apart due to injuries.
    I'm pretty sure Hart and HBK would have captured the WWE Title at some point in their careers. The company would have shifted away to a new aspect of how Champions are suppose to look eventually.

As far as your question as to why Luger never won the Championship against Yokozuna, well thats simple. Vince likes his babyface champions to be vulnerable. He likes them to take a beating and than comeback against all odds to win. He feels it connects with the audience better. This is why Goldberg was so miserable in the WWE. Goldberg felt that he should be used as a dominant competitor, like he was in WCW, but Vince didn't see it that way.
    Which is still ridiculous since they had a chance to put the belt on him at Summerslam.

BTW, I don;t agree with your statement of Luger getting a mediocre push in WCW. The man was a multiple times HW champion there. Not to mention his US title runs and tag team championship runs. After Sting and the Horsemen, Luger was one of the main faces of WCW before the NWO angle, and during.
    Yes, he won a lot of titles in WCW but his run was still hit and miss for me. Name me any memorable feuds or moments Luger had in WCW and that's excluding his WCW Title win over Hogan. He was one of the main event faces but got out-shadowed by guys like Sting and Goldberg. Even JR said his run in WCW is unmemorable.
    Updated 03-05-2012 at 12:22 AM by Dubs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.