View RSS Feed

Callum

Fav 5: Gimmicks

Rate this Entry
5. Edge – Rated R Superstar/The Ultimate Opportunist

Edge a great cocky yet cowardly heel as well as a funny and charismatic face and he got loads of heat when he was a heel. Particularly in his feud with Matt Hardy (although at that point lots of people hated edge for what he did anyway).

What made Edge's gimmick great was Edge himself. The gimmick worked in my opinion because Edge was so good on the mic and In the ring and he's one of the greats.

4. Mick Foley – Dude Love/Cactus Jack/Mankind/Mick Foley

Cactus Jack - Cactus Jack is pretty much the gimmick that made Foley as popular as he was in wrestling. He also cut great promos as Cactus Jack

Mankind - Living in Boiler rooms, having rats for friends, enjoyed pain, schizophrenic, and wore a mask. As mankind he had a great feud with the Rock as well as teaming with him as the Rock n Sock connection . He also had memorable matches vs Undertaker and won his first world championship.

Dude love - In comparison Dude love wasn't that good but it was based on Home videos Foley had made.

My favourite would have to be mankind but I enjoyed all of them. I don't think many other people could play 4 characters and make them all work so well do you have to applaud Foley for that.

3. Kane - Big Red Monster

As I've mentioned before i'm a bit of a Kane mark but I honestly think that he has one of the greatest gimmicks of all time. I'm of course talking about the Masked Kane (before and now) and not the Kane who jobbed and had to team with Santino Marella at Wrestlemania (I like to pretend that neither happened). He was a dominant monster and was feared throughout wwe.

His gimmick was great because similarly to the Undertaker it's so unique and a doubt there'll ever be another gimmick like it. Glen Jacobs was perfect for the role of Kane: he was good on the ring desire being a big man, he could cut a great promo and if that wasn't enough he had a great evil laugh.

2. Shawn Michaels - The Heartbreak Kid

He was a cocky villain for the majority of his career but after he returned he was of a face more often (and a humorous one at that).
Shawn was perfect for his role: great on the mic great in the ring. He was someone who could get people to love him and then hate him the same night.

1. The Undertaker – Deadman

His gimmick commands respect and he’s probably the most iconic superstar ever. When you hear the iconic Dong before Undertaker starts his slow walk down to the ring. He’s mysterious and just as soon as appears he vanishes again.

I don’t think any gimmick will ever come as close to being as iconic as the deadman again. I’ve always been a fan of this gimmick along with Kane’s because they were so unique. The Undertaker’s gimmick was done so well and I don’t think it will ever be replicated.

* So I forgot to put Stone Cold Steve Austin in but he would probably be between 3 and 4 for me. He was an anti hero character (similarly to how punk was over the summer). He was great at it and had a brilliant feud with Vince McMahon. He was good on the mic and in the ring as well which helped to make the gimmick so good.

Honourable mentions
Cm Punk
Goldust

Thanks for reading!

Submit "Fav 5: Gimmicks" to Digg Submit "Fav 5: Gimmicks" to del.icio.us Submit "Fav 5: Gimmicks" to StumbleUpon Submit "Fav 5: Gimmicks" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. Razor Ramon
    2. DDP
    3. Goldberg
    4. NWO Hogan
    5. Brutus the Barber Beefcake
    Razor Ramon was a Scarface rip-off. I liked his gimmick, but I have to say the Mankind gimmick, the Jake the Snake Roberts gimmick, the Ric Flair spin off of the Nature Boy gimmick, Stone Cold's gimmick, and the Rowdy Roddy Piper gimmick have to be my favorites. They were what seemed the most natural to me. Honorable mentions go to the original DX gimmick (pre New Age Outlaws and X-Pac), Bret "the Hitman" Hart's gimmck, and Ted Diabiase's gimmick.
    [QUOTE=5 Finger Death Punch;bt56043]1. Razor Ramon
    2. DDP
    3. Goldberg
    4. NWO Hogan
    5. Brutus the Barber Beefcake[/QUOTE]

DDP wasn't really a gimmick was? I mean...he was just a wrestler who went by the name of DDP! I don't see the Gimmick aspect. Also I don't see the gimmick aspect of Goldberg. Just a wrestler who went undefeated for a long while...but not character wise!
    [QUOTE=Bane of Balin;bt56045]Razor Ramon was a Scarface rip-off. I liked his gimmick, but I have to say the Mankind gimmick, the Jake the Snake Roberts gimmick, the Ric Flair spin off of the Nature Boy gimmick, Stone Cold's gimmick, and the Rowdy Roddy Piper gimmick have to be my favorites. They were what seemed the most natural to me. Honorable mentions go to the original DX gimmick (pre New Age Outlaws and X-Pac), Bret "the Hitman" Hart's gimmck, and Ted Diabiase's gimmick.[/QUOTE]

I don`t see the gimmick aspect of many of the wrestlers you mentioned. I mean Rick Flair was the man he wrestled as...he lived the same lifestyle. Stone Cold also was just a refection of who is was/is since he is a redneck in real life. Piper, same thing, a man who in in touch with his Scottish heritage. Jake, umm, well he did bring a snake to the ring, but that was as far as his gimmick went, he was a face for the majority of his WWF career and their was nothing really slimy about the character...great promos thought! Bret Hart`s gimmick wasn`t really a gimmick either imo. He never really acted as a assassin character wise and he really believed he was the best there was, the best there is, and the best there ever will be in real life.

Not hating on your choices but I don't see them as gimmick wrestlers!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.