View RSS Feed

DK Wrestling Savior

Did You Know?: Are WWE's Claims Accurate?

Rate this Entry
Hey fans. This is an unusual third post for me this week. Again, it's something fresh. It's not one of 9 Rock vs Cena Promotions Comparisons. It's not one of 8 "Best Wrestlemania Matches". It's not one of 6 "Best of All Time" posts and then lists a Dolph Ziggler match. *Yes, I had to rip Ziggles, even in a post like this*.

Instead, I saw one of WWE's famous Did You Know? snippets where they gloat about having more Twitter followers than M&M's and Coca-Cola combined and more Facebook Followers than Pepsi and NHL. Everyone knows what I'm talking about.

But to stay on point, I was watching Raw two weeks ago and I saw one that said, "Last Week, Raw was watched by more people than both NCAA Basketball games on ESPN combined. So, if that was two weeks ago, then we go back three weeks and see the games that were broadcast that night. On February 13, 2012, the two games broadcast on ESPN were Louisville vs Syracuse at 7pm, and Kansas vs Kansas St at 9pm.

Now, if what they said is true, and 5 million people typically watch Raw each Monday, then let's seriously break this down. Syracuse vs Louisville went from 7-9, which doesn't compete directly in Raw's timeslot. At 8 O'clock, The Bachelor aired on ABC and The Voice aired on Fox. A good part of the Syracuse v Louisville viewers certainly moved over to those shows, probably at the requests of the viewers wives, and went back and forth between commercials until the end. At 9 O'clock came Kansas vs Kansas St, and while Kansas is a nationally recognized team in the NCAA Basketball World, this match up isn't what many would call, premier. In short, the only ones who cared about it were people from Kansas. So the WWE doesn't get kudos for staking claim to this. And notice they kept their mouths shut about The Voice, The Bachelor, and even Smash which aired after The Voice.

Another claim that WWE likes to throw out there is how they have more Facebook followers than the NFL, NHL, MLB, Coca-Cola, etc. I decided to do my research and what they say is true. The WWE has over 8 million "fans", and NFL is the only one that's close at nearly 5 million. However, when thinking about it, who are the primary viewers of NFL games? Men in a certain demographic that typically won't be spending a lot of time on Facebook. And if they do, they're probably fans of their team's pages, and not the NFL in particular. So, looking at it individually, the WWE has slightly more fans than the NFC East (Cowboys, Redskins, Eagles, and Giants) added together. There's 28 other teams. Not to mention, a lowly game between Cleveland Browns vs St Louis Rams would draw probably twice as many viewers as any weekly Raw broadcast. So, how much substance is really behind the WWE's claim on this one?

The WWE also likes to promote Smackdown as the most watched program on SyFy. Anyone who watches shows on SyFy knows that's not exactly saying much.

The WWE makes FB followers and FB activity their business. It's actually built into their business model these days. They strive to be the top Social Media active brand. But I'm going to point out a few more interesting tidbits. Here we go.

Did You Know?

The WWE does not have as many FB followers than The NBA, McDonalds, NCIS, or Disney.

John Cena and The Rock combined, don't have as many FB followers as Will Smith, Eminem, or Spongebob Squarepants.

John Cena does not have as many FB followers as Kobe Bryant

Last week, The NBA All Star Game, NBA All Star Saturday Night, The Walking Dead, Pawn Stars, Jersey Shore, and Knicks vs Heat were all higher rated Cable TV Shows than Monday Night Raw.

I know, I really went out of my way to bash the WWE on this one. But if our blog board is going to get filled with idiotic stuff like Opinions of Alberto Del Rio, Overrated WM matches listing two of HBK's greatest, and Dream Matches with Bobby Lashley and Batista listed on there, then this should be a breath of fresh air for the fans who want something interesting to read.

I'll be back Post-Raw and with another Abdominal Stretch next week. Be Safe Everyone.

Submit "Did You Know?: Are WWE's Claims Accurate?" to Digg Submit "Did You Know?: Are WWE's Claims Accurate?" to del.icio.us Submit "Did You Know?: Are WWE's Claims Accurate?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Did You Know?: Are WWE's Claims Accurate?" to Google

Updated 03-03-2012 at 04:59 PM by DK Wrestling Savior (Re-worked Title)

Categories
User News

Comments

WWE can't be taken seriously in terms of their so-called 'records'. They make up the numbers as they see fit. The most famous one is the attendance of WM3. They say 93,000 when others say it was closer to 75,000 making the Summerslam at Wembley the biggest attended WWE event.
    I always enjoy your blogs DK, and this one was an interesting read. It'll make me question stuff any time I see their Did You Know? Good blog broseph!
    I dont understand this blog, You are basicly saying that all the WWE "Did you know" Facts are true?. So whats the point? are you trying to say that WWE is not as popular as the NFL? Cause I think everyone knows that. Are you trying to Say WWE Raw is not the Number 1 TV show in Cable? Well we all already know that too... All their Statments are true so I dont see a problem in that.

I Think you wasted your time looking in to this. I thought this was gonna show how the WWE over estimates their did you know facts or blantly lies about them.
    Their statements are true, but with certain caveats. Durp! No kidding that they're going to skew figures to make their business look more prestigious. What kind of complete idiot (in terms of business) publicly announces who's kicking their asses?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_CRIPPLER
    I dont understand this blog, You are basicly saying that all the WWE "Did you know" Facts are true?. So whats the point? are you trying to say that WWE is not as popular as the NFL? Cause I think everyone knows that. Are you trying to Say WWE Raw is not the Number 1 TV show in Cable? Well we all already know that too... All their Statments are true so I dont see a problem in that.

I Think you wasted your time looking in to this. I thought this was gonna show how the WWE over estimates their did you know facts or blantly lies about them.
    I didn't waste my time because it was an interesting read, with interesting facts attached.

Thank you for reading.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.