View RSS Feed

Renevious

Underrated Wrestlemania Matches

Rate this Entry
Hey guys, Renevious here again. This blog is in response to the Crippler's very entertaining blog about the most overrated Wrestlemania matches. I figured it was only fair to write one about the opposite subject.

I want to start out by saying I really enjoyed the Crippler's blog, as I usually do, and this is in no way an argument against what he has written. This blog is entirely just about the other end of the spectrum. Crippler pointed out great matches that got more notoriety than they deserved, and now I'm going to talk about 3 matches that didn't get as much notoriety as they deserved.

BTW, these are in no particular order...

1. Bret Hart v. Roddy Piper (Wrestlemania 8)Now, I once wrote a blog about underrated Wrestlemanias in general, and one of the main points of that article was Wrestlemania 8. Anytime people talk about what the best Wrestlemanias are, they never take the time to mention this one. I personally feel like this was a solid 'Mania that happened during a very unstable and transitional time in the WWF. With that being said, one match really does stand head and shoulders above the rest. If you want to talk about emotion, psychology, and what the Intercontinental title used to mean, then look no further than this match. You had two guys who were both babyfaces, great workers, and had known each other for years. It started as a clean battle, and by the end of it, it turned into a war. Piper even had an entire moral epiphany in the middle of the ring when had to decide whether or not it was worth it to knock Hart out with the ring bell. And at the bloody end of it all, they embraced in an amazing showing of mutual respect.

2. Matt Hardy v. Jeff Hardy (Wrestlemania 25)
I think this match is a perfect counterpart to the Crippler's mention of Undertaker/HBK being overrated. The reason is every single time someone talks about Wrestlemania 25, all they ever say is how awesome the Undertaker/HBK match was. No one ever mentions the ridiculousness that was the Hardys going one on one against each other. Jeff was on his way out of the company, and Matt was the jealous heel brother. I was there for this. I saw this match live, and let me tell you, it brought the house down. Now I can't deny that the Undertaker/HBK match was definitely the one that the crowd was the most in to, but the Hardys definitely delivered on every single level that night. Not to mention, it was so great to see Matt Hardy actually win one flat out over his much more popular brother. This match is never ever talked about, and it definitely deserves its place in the history books.

3. Undertaker v. Diesel (Wrestlemania 12)
This choice is probably going to be the one that generates some negative feedback in the comments section. That's fine. It's an opinion. Now for those of you who didn't know, I'm a huge Undertaker mark. He's not my favorite of all time (that's Randy Savage), but he's up there. And this match was one that was actually really entertaining. If you think back to the feud that led up to this match, you'll remember a pretty intense rivalry. Diesel had transformed from the face of the WWF to a complete asshole, and the Undertaker was there to put him in his place. I distinctly remember Diesel being one of the Undertaker's first opponents who didn't seem to be scared of him at all. That was until he opened that coffin and saw a way too lifelike wax figure of himself lying there. That shit was badass and really creepy. Once the match took place, you got to see the first evidence of the end of the Diesel character and the beginning of the Kevin Nash character. He didn't act like Diesel in that match. He was himself, and he seemed more like the arrogant Kevin Nash we were soon going to see in WCW. It was the longest match on the card (with the obvious exception of the Iron Man match), and this was in a time before anyone acknowledged the streak. The Undertaker had only had 4 'Mania matches before this one, and (except for the Giant Gonzales nonsense) they were all pretty much squash matches. This was the first time that it seemed as though the Undertaker was going to simply be beaten by someone better than him. Then of course, we all know what happened in the end.

Anyway guys, thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed it. Please make sure and check out my entries in the WBC challenge, and vote for me if you like what you see. Until next time, God Bless....

Submit "Underrated Wrestlemania Matches" to Digg Submit "Underrated Wrestlemania Matches" to del.icio.us Submit "Underrated Wrestlemania Matches" to StumbleUpon Submit "Underrated Wrestlemania Matches" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I was just gonna write a underated wrestlemania match blog but you beat me too it.

I agree with the Piper vs Hart match 100 times over, Great match and it was a very close second to the Savage vs Flair WWF title match.... Easily Pipers best match.

I think The Hardys put a decent match on but I think people expected much more, it was a decent match but everyone had high expectations for this feud and their big wrestlemania match.

Taker and Diesel was another decent match. It was Undertakers first big WM test and these guys had a pretty good big man match that the crowd was in too.
    Sorry for taking your idea. You should still definitely write your version of this one, though. I really enjoyed your overrated matches blog, and I'd be interested to read your take on the underrated ones.
    Nice read. I agree taker vs Diesel was great. Just rewatched it on netflicks last wk. I had forgotten how good that match was.
    You posted Piper vs Hart on another blog and I gave you props for it. I'll do it again because I'm so glad there is some Old Schoolers out there like myself who remember some of these matches and give them the recognition they deserve.

Piper vs Hart is my #1 underrated WM match of all time. It was a clinic and Piper with his drama of fighting the urge to cheat.

I don't care what anyone says. Flair, Hogan, Sting, Savage, Austin, HBK, Taker...etc, but Piper gets left out a lot when these names come up and he should be up there with them.

Totally underrated superstar.

Just my opinion and great list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Playboy Stevie V
    You posted Piper vs Hart on another blog and I gave you props for it. I'll do it again because I'm so glad there is some Old Schoolers out there like myself who remember some of these matches and give them the recognition they deserve.

Piper vs Hart is my #1 underrated WM match of all time. It was a clinic and Piper with his drama of fighting the urge to cheat.

I don't care what anyone says. Flair, Hogan, Sting, Savage, Austin, HBK, Taker...etc, but Piper gets left out a lot when these names come up and he should be up there with them.

Totally underrated superstar.

Just my opinion and great list.
    Thanks man, I totally hear ya on Piper not getting the recognition he deserved. Hulk Hogan would not have been the fan favorite we all remember if it weren't for the extreme heel persona of Rowdy Roddy Piper. And yes, I've been a fan since about 1984-85, so that's why you see me bring up a lot of old references. Thanks for reading.
    I agree with Piper-Hart at WM8 also. I loved that match - Piper's best match and one of Bret's best. Very underrated Wrestlemania match...one of my all time Wrestlemania favorites!
    Shawn Michaels vs. Tatanka from Wrestlemania IX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.