View RSS Feed

wrestlingfan66513

Blog Wars 14: Top 5 Hardcore Matches

Rate this Entry
Welcome to the 14th episode of Blog Wars. This week our champion knox will be taking on RatedATB in another Featured Blogger battle. Let's take a look at this weeks list

Note: knox had 5 videos but I could only put one up on the blog. I will work to fix that in the future

Top 5 Hardcore Matches

Basically, any match with hardcore rules (name of match really doesn't matter). Any company counts and the criteria is match quality.

Ok, I know this might be a little too WWE heavy, and I’m sure I missed a few really brutal ones, but I didn’t really watch too much ECW, but I tried to make a good balance. I also wanted to put matches that had story to it and weren’t just a bunch of bloodbaths.

RatedATB
5. Backlash 2004 – Mick Foley vs. Randy Orton
This has to be by far one of the greatest hardcore matches WWE allowed to be viewed. It wasn’t TOO ridiculous but it had everything. Blood, barbed wire wrapped over a 2x4, and in my humble opinion the greatest thumbtack bump ever. The sheer look of pain upon Orton’s face after he landed was pure genius. This was the match in my opinion that elevated Orton to that next level and made it almost a lock that he would be a threat in the main event for years to come, and by god if that wasn’t the truth.

4. One Night Stand 2006 – Edge/Mick Foley/Lita vs. Terry Funk/Tommy Dreamer/Beulah McGuillicutty
A lot of people would say that Foley/Edge was one of the best matches in Wrestlemania history, and I’d agree, it’s probably in the top 15 or 20 no doubt. But when it comes to hardcore it couldn’t touch this match. You had 2 hardcore legends in Foley/Funk, the Innovator of Violence, a brand new main event main stay in Edge, and add the factor of Lita and Beulah and you have one intense match, and probably the last great hardcore match WWE has ever had. If Orton/Foley had everything then this one had everything and more. I’ll never forget seeing Foley and Funk take the fall into that piece of plywood wrapped in barbed wire, and watching them pry Foley and Funk out afterwards.

3. Royal Rumble 2000 – Triple H vs. Cactus Jack
I know this was technically a street fight, but this was the first real hardcore match that I ever watched so I had to put it on here. It’s arguably one of the greatest matches HHH ever participated in and it made Cactus Jack look like he belonged in the main event. The story to this match is what sold it, with HHH putting Jack over as a legit threat to his life. But the match is what solidified its legacy. The amount of blood both men shed was a graphic sight to see, considering I was only 7 years old at the time. I can remember Jack dragging the 2x4 wrapped in barbed wire across HHH’s face as he lay in the second rope and thinking that Cactus was a sick sadistic son of a bitch.

2. One Night Stand 2005 – Sandman/Tommy Dreamer vs. The Dudley Boyz
Everything about this match was epic. From the entrances, to the run-ins from ECW alumni, to the powerbomb through the flaming table, WWE’s first ever fire bump, and the aftermath with everyone kicking Bischoff’s ass, this match was the perfect end to the perfect ppv.

1. ECW Barely Legal 1997 – Terry Funk vs. Stevie Richards vs. The Sandman
I had to put an ECW match at the top of this list, it just feels right. This match was the culmination of one of the biggest rivalries in ECW. Each man had a reason to want to fight Raven for the belt and they put each other through hell to get there. Seeing Terry Funk get the victory, going on to get one more world title, and proving to himself and the world that he’s still the king of hardcore is a great story that many people can relate to and the whole story made for some great moments, and is one of the greatest moments in wrestling history in my opinion.

knox
5. Taz vs Sabu - Extreme Death Match - Living Dangerously 1999
The build up was pretty awesome. Two of the ECW greats unifying the titles. Was on the edge of my seat for this.

4. Randy Orton vs Mick Foley - Backlash 2004
Personally I think this might be Orton's best match. He paid his dues with the thumbtacks spot. Great match and Mick Foley really did the ultimate job in putting a rookie over.

3. Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka - November to Remember 1999
These two might have had one of the most underrated feud in wrestling history. The promos and shoots they cut where sick. They had plenty of great matches but this one was by far my favorite. They also battled at WWE's ECW One Night Stand in 2005.

2. Crash Holly's 24/7 Hardcore Title Defenses
I really didn't know how to rank these. This will probably lose alot of votes but I typically love the concept and had to put it somewhere on this list. This is when WWE's creative team was top notch. When Crash was attacked in his hotel, that was gold.

1. Edge vs Mick Foley - Wrestlemania 22
Arguably one of the most memorable spots in wrestling history. This might be on the level with the spot when Taker threw Foley off the cell. The way Edge speared Foley through the table set on fire was insane. Great match guys. This for me stole the show that night.

That's it for this week and let's give it up for both of the contestants because this is a very tough list. Until next, keep reading.

Submit "Blog Wars 14: Top 5 Hardcore Matches" to Digg Submit "Blog Wars 14: Top 5 Hardcore Matches" to del.icio.us Submit "Blog Wars 14: Top 5 Hardcore Matches" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blog Wars 14: Top 5 Hardcore Matches" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Oh man....good lists from both. Originally was going to straight vote for RatedATB after I saw his list..but then Knoxs caught my eye in that he has Edge vs Foley and ATB doesnt....both good lists...but...my vote is going to go to RatedATB on this one.
    These are blogs? These aren't blogs. These are favorite lists. That means its Knox's five favorite hardcore matches vs. Other Guy's five favorite hardcore matches. I want to judge some shit on quality of writing and strength of opinions, not two guys' favorite matches.
    Updated 03-01-2012 at 03:28 PM by RavenEffect
    Knox...close call but Knox just abt gets it
    i was expecting to see the presence of one Abdullah the Butcher, Dusty Rhodes versus Tully Blanchard inside the cage, one Bruise Brody match and the original the Sheik...
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenEffect
    These are blogs? These aren't blogs. These are favorite lists. That means its Knox's five favorite hardcore matches vs. Other Guy's five favorite hardcore matches. I want to judge some shit on quality of writing and strength of opinions, not two guys' favorite matches.
    There's always one!

Anyway, on topic I must have to come down in favour of Knox.
    Does Undertaker vs Mankind Hell in a Cell count as a Hardcore Match? If so that would be my #1 hands down. That was the most brutal thing I've ever seen.

Also, this is a little old school, but if you haven't seen it check out these two matches:

Pat Patterson vs Sgt Slaughter Boot camp match....Blood galore

Roddy Piper vs Greg Valentine Dog Collar Match...Yikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979
    There's always one!

Anyway, on topic I must have to come down in favour of Knox.
    Yeah. Let's just ignore him stupid thought lol

Anyway. I'm going to say Rated ATB. But both lists are good.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.