View RSS Feed

bearkg88

The Shadow Of the Heartbreak Kid

Rate this Entry
Hey everyone, bearkg back here again for another blog. I was thinking about blogs I've done in the past, and things I've said on the forums, and I realized something. I've done blogs focusing on Raw, on the WWE video game, the state of the WWE, and even John Cena's title wins. The one thing I haven't done though, is a blog on the Heartbreak Kid, Shawn Michaels. Now I will be the first to say I am a huge HBK mark. I originally became invested in wrestler, the night when DX was reuniting only for HHH to predigree HBK. The next week on Raw, HBK is attacked backstage. The following week, HHH vows to find who attacked HBK, only for it to be revealed HHH was the attacker. I was hooked for life at that point. Anyways, with wrestlemania season coming along, and a lot of top ten lists out and about, I wanted to put out my own list that has real meaning. So without further ado, let's get into Shawn Michaels top 10 Wrestlemania matches!

Wrestlemania 23
WWE Championship
John Cena vs Shawn Michaels

Now of course everyone says Cena can't wrestle, I have to disagree. I think when Cena wants to, he can put on a decent match. Then you have the likes Mr Wrestlemania, who can take any opponent and put on at minimum a 3 star match. To me, this match was atleast a 4 out of 5 star match. I enjoyed the build up to this. The tension between them was awesome! Each time they looked like they were going to try and attack the other with their respective finisher, it had me on the edge of my seat wondering if they were going to turn on one another before Mania. Then the final Raw before Mania when HBK superkicked Cena and gave Taker/Batista the win, I was literally cheering over this. While I believe HBK should have had one last run with the WWE title and this would have been perfect time for it, this match to me was good and and the highlight of WM 23.

Wrestlemania XIV
WWF Championship
Shawn Michaels vs Stone Cold Steve Austin

What can I say about this match that hasn't been said already. The build up, the tension, the match itself, all great. Sadly this would be the last match we would see HBK wrestle for a good number of years. While of course I wasn't a fan of wrestling when this occurred, I have watched the match as well as different things that lead up to the match. Another good match between two huge stars.

Wrestlemania X
Intercontinental Championship Ladder Match
Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels

An instant classic. Again, another match/feud i was not privy to until later in Shawns career, but I remember on one of the HBK dvds I had gotten, seeing the build up and then the match, and simply to say, I was amazed. It is sad where Scott Hall went from here with his life, but to me, nothing can take away from this classic these two had.

Wrestlemania XII
60 Minute Iron Man Match for the WWF Championship
Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart

I am going to go out on a limb right now, and say to me, this is the best iron man match in WWE/WWF history. Not just because of The Heartbreak Kid, but because of the chemistry between The Hitman and the Heartbeaker. I know I may catch some slack, and to those that want to give it...hey, this is just my opinion. Shawn Michaels had won the Royal Rumble the year before after entering first, and then for the second time in a row, won it the following year which would lead to this match. While the previous year HBK was unsuccessful in capturing the top prize in the business, this year was definitely different.

Wrestlemania 20
World Heavyweight Championship
Chris Benoit vs HHH vs Shawn Michaels

While HBK may not have walked away with the win from this match, I firmly believe he helped make this the crown jewel of Wrestlemania 20. The build up was amazing. The night of the contract signing when HBK superkicked Benoit and then signed the contract, I was so pumped for WM 20. Plus considering the history of HHH and HBK, and throwing in the Rumble winner of Benoit, everyone knew this was the formula for an epic match.

Wrestlemania XIX
Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels

While some may not agree with me on this, I feel like this match stole the show. While there were other matches on the card that had more drawing power(Vince vs Hogan, Rock vs Austin 3), to me this match had the best wrestling quality and thus stole the show. Think of this WM with Cena vs Rock being the top draw, but Jericho vs Punk will be the top wrestling match. The build up to this was something I also really enjoyed. I remember the promo work between the two, gave me goosebumps. Needless to say, great match.

Wrestlemania 21
Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels

What can I say except for awesome. You have two men who know how to get it done in the ring, finally facing one another. This match was amazing to me. This was one of those matches that made you truly understand why Shawn Michaels was Mr Wrestlemania. The build up, involving Marty Jannetty and Sensational Sherri to me helped grow the fire in this feud. While I was one of I am sure many people who were bummed that HBK didn't get the big win, this match gave us another classic wrestlemania match.

Wrestlemania 24
Ric Flair vs Shawn Michaels

Now some may be wondering why I put this match as #3. Simple. The emotion. This match to me was definitely a good wrestling match, but what put it over the top, was the emotion. Now I know Flair wrestled after this, but at this time, this match was something everyone was talking about. Heck, the storyline for Flair was something everyone was talking about. To me, the most memorable moment of the match was when Shawn mouthed "I'm sorry I love you". Needless to say, another classic wrestlemania moment.

Wrestlemania 25
The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels

What can I say about this match. It was an instant classic. It was the match that kept the wrestling world buzzing. There was no other match on the WM 25 card that could hold a candle to this. The build up to this was perfect. Watching HBK attacking Taker with Sweet Chin Music after their tag match, the promo work between the two, or the moment HBK emerged from the casket to take out Taker again, it had me believing that HBK might end the streak. While of course that didn't happen, we had another amazing wrestlemania match.

Wrestlemania 26
The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels

What else would be at #1? HBK vs Diesel from WM 11? Psh come on! Some of you may be wondering why I chose this over their match at Wm 25. Simple...emotion again. I knew as did everyone else that this would be HBKs last match, and he went out on top. Not of course by winning, but putting on one last classic. The build up was definitely interesting. I felt like watching Michaels as he tried to get this match, like he was a desperate man looking for one last shot at immortality. Just everything involving this was memorable.

Well everyone, there is my top 10 HBK Wrestlemania matches. I hope you guys agree, and if you do, comment! If you don't agree, well, tell me how you would have listed it. Everyone is entitle to their own opinion right? Well until next Monday for another edition of Uncooked, until then, have a great few days everyone.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images

Submit "The Shadow Of the Heartbreak Kid" to Digg Submit "The Shadow Of the Heartbreak Kid" to del.icio.us Submit "The Shadow Of the Heartbreak Kid" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Shadow Of the Heartbreak Kid" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bret vs HBK the iron man match is by far the best Iron Man match I ahd ever seen...n it deserves to be higher than it is..may be #2 in my opinion...I feel, out of the two UT Vs HBK matches, WM 25 was the Better....

but all in all A GR8 LIST!!!

n a GR8 BLOG!!!

Thank You HBK!!!
    Thank You HBK!!!
    Thank You HBK!!!
    Thank You HBK!!!
    Great list man, it's so hard to make a top 10 HBK list because you can put so much into it lol, he's the best there is to be honest, but you included many of his greatest matches. Definitely can't forget about him/Cena on that Raw in England, or his matches with HHH in 02/03/04, and Jericho in 08, and...I better stop before I fill the comments lol. Nice read!
    26 was better than 25? Do you watch wrestling?
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenEffect
    26 was better than 25? Do you watch wrestling?
    First off, Sahu and and RatedATB, thanks for the feedback...now RavenEffect..oh my..you know after your little comment on wrestlingfans Blog Wars, I almost said something...but didn't because hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you don't like the content in those blogs, I'd say either don't read it, or look at who they are picking(btw, RatedATBs picks did have content to them), but I figured I wouldn't say anything because it is your opinion that those are favorite lists(which i don't agree with, to me they are still blogs), but then you come to my blog and say "Do you watch wrestling"? Bro...look at my blog history. I make a blog for every Raw, reviewing what happened, and what I think can make it better. Lets see...could I do a blog like that without watching wrestling? Hmm..I don't think so. People like you and others who come on here and bash blogs or peoples choices really irk me. There are alot of times I disagree with someones choices of a top ten or top 5 list, or even disagree with their opinions on some matter, but I try to keep in constructive in how i respond to their blog. Instead you say something uncool like you did. If you clearly read the #1 pick, I thought WM 26 was better because of the emotion, because I am an HBK mark, because to me, that was the moment when I knew I had seen the last of HBK blowing up the ring with his awesomeness. And again...what I stated at the beginning was this was my opinion of HBKs top ten lists. you could have easily said "I disagree, I think WM 25 was better than Wm 26", but instead you have to be one of the many bashers.
    Great Blog, Agree with everything bar number 2 and number 1. The WM25 match is quite possibly the Greatest WM Match of all time. I watched it on sky sports live and i was really thinking my boy HBK is gonna end the streak. Back and forth all the way through. I get y u put WM26 1st, coz we all knew it was his last match and the emotions where off the chart, but i dont think the match was as good as WM25.
    Just my view, great blog tho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz8211
    Great Blog, Agree with everything bar number 2 and number 1. The WM25 match is quite possibly the Greatest WM Match of all time. I watched it on sky sports live and i was really thinking my boy HBK is gonna end the streak. Back and forth all the way through. I get y u put WM26 1st, coz we all knew it was his last match and the emotions where off the chart, but i dont think the match was as good as WM25.
    Just my view, great blog tho!
    I can totally see your view point. There is no denying HBK vs Taker at Wm 25 was an amazing match, it just felt like to me, their meeting at 26 had so much more depth to it because you knew this was the last time HBK would step in the ring. To me, it was such raw emotion that you don't see so much nowadays. Thanks though for the comment Baz!
    I would throw Shelton Benjamin vs HBK at a close 11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.