View RSS Feed

RatedATB

Top 10 Wrestlemania Matches

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
What's poppin folks, RatedATB back at it again! I haven't done too many blogs here recently, so I thought I'd start up a little mini series. Seeing as we're so close to Mania, why not do a themed Mania blog each week? This week I'll be discussing my top 10 favorite Wrestlemania matches. I figured I'd try my hand in the little top 5/10 blogs considering I enjoy so many of them on here (looking at you Mr. Knox and a few others) and what a great way to start off than with this. So, without further ado...

10. Wrestlemania XXVI - WHC - Edge vs. Chris Jericho
I know what some of you are thinking. But these are two of my all time favorite wrestlers and I was so jacked when I found out they would be facing off at Wrestlemania for the World Title. This was a really good match that I think will go on to be a forgotten classic. It had everything from near falls, to reverses, great in ring psychology, a storied rivalry and much more. People hate on it for the unexpected ending but it made sense considering with where they went concerning the World Title. Was it the right way to go? Maybe not but that's a whole other rant. The aftermath made for a nice Wrestlemania moment however, and I gotta show love for one of my favorite matches of all time. 4/5

9. Wrestlemania XIX - WWE Championship - Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar
This might go down as one of the best pure wrestling Wrestlemania matches ever. Knowing the story now of what went down behind the scenes it really puts into perspective of what these two men were going through. I think this was one of the last highly built Wrestlemania main events, and when I say that I mean one that was built months in advance. When you think about it this match was pretty much set when Heyman screwed Lesnar. I think the match itself was outstanding and had it not been for Lesnar's botch I would've given it a perfect 5/5. 4.25/5

8. Wrestlemania 12 - Ironman Match - Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels
What can you say about one of the greatest matches in wrestling history. This match literally saved one shit Wrestlemania and made it a memorable event for years to come. These two put on a wrestling clinic and popularized the Ironman match. This is the match that made me appreciate wrestling as an art and opened my eyes as a kid to the wonders that this business can provide. Even in the darkest of eras we can still find a near perfect wrestling match, from two amazing performers. 4.5/5

7. Wrestlemania X7 - WWF Championship - Stone Cold vs. The Rock
Wrestlemania 16 was the first Wrestlemania I ever got to see, but Wrestlemania 17 was the first one I saw as it happened and what a Wrestlemania to start on. This match defined what a great main event should be. Two guys who want to just be the absolute best and will do whatever it takes to get there. It had the perfect story and the match itself was explosive from start to finish. They put each other through hell and had my attention from bell to bell. Out of the 3 Rock/Austin matches this is by far the better one, and completely blew the first one out of the water. I'll never forget the shock finish and how it pretty much changed the WWF forever. This match will truly be remembered as one of the greatest main events Wrestlemania will ever see. 4.5/5

6. Wrestlemania 13 - I Quit/Submission Match - Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold
This match literally saved a SHITTY Wrestlemania. If this match hadn't taken place Wrestlemania 13 would have gone down as probably the worst Wrestlemania ever, bar none. However it happened and thank god HBK was a little girl at the time or WWE as we know it might be a little different. The image of Austin screaming in pain and reusing to quit is one of the most intense moments in all of WWE history and really is what made the final turn of Austin into a good guy. 4.5/5

5. Wrestlemania X7 - TLC - Edge and Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz
This match will go down as one of the greatest ladder matches of all time and in my opinion is well deserving of that honor. These men put each other through hell and back and we saw some of the most innovative spots ever at the time. My favorite moment may just be the big Spear on Jeff while he's hanging from the belts. Not much else you can say about this other than the fact that it was an exciting match to watch and still holds up to this day, and really raised the bar as far as ladder matches are concerned. 4.5/5

4. Wrestlemania X - IC Title Ladder Match - Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon
Before there was Edge and Christian or the Hardy Boyz, there was Shawn Michaels and Razor Ramon, and god damn it if these two didn't set the standard for ladder matches. In my opinion this is the perfect ladder match. There was drama, high impact action, and plenty of surprise moments. This match really was ahead of it's time and is by far one of my favorite matches of all time, without a doubt. As a kid watching this on tape I actually rooted for HBK and was a little upset when he lost, but how can you hate the Bad Guy? Beautiful match and if you haven't seen it then I don't think you can call yourself a WWE fan, much less a wrestling fan. 5/5

3. Wrestlemania 20 - Triple Threat WHC - Shawn Michaels vs. HHH vs. Chris Benoit
The culmination of 18 years of hard work. I know a lot of people might bitch about Benoit being in here, but this isn't top 10 humanitarians, it's top 10 matches and you can't have such a list without tossing at least 1 Benoit match in. Going into Wrestlemania as the first ever triple threat WM main event could be stressful, but they couldn't have picked 3 better wrestlers to pull it off. This had about 3 different feuds thrown into one match and just made the whole thing that much better. I remember marking the fuck out when Benoit won and I was super happy to see him and Eddie closing the show as WWE's world champions. It was definitely a surreal moment and a perfect finish to an amazing match. 4.75/5

2. Wrestlemania 21 - Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels
Take the greatest performer the WWE has ever seen. Throw in the best pure athlete the wrestling business has to offer. Put them in a ring and watch magic happen before your eyes. I can say without a doubt that this is my all time favorite wrestling match, and I can watch it over and over and never get tired. These two put on a wrestling clinic and wrestled in my eyes a perfect match. My two all time favorite wrestlers putting on my all time favorite wrestling match. You just can't go wrong. 5/5

1. Wrestlemania 25 - Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker
This list wouldn't be justified without including at least 1 Undertaker match on here. I don't think there was any doubt that this match would be number 1, it is for sure the greatest Wrestlemania match of all time. I remember hoping that this match would happen, and when it was announced I just couldn't wait, I knew it would steal the show. Little did I know that would be an understatement. This match had it all, near falls, drama, suspense, crowd reaction, psychology, you name it. I remember being shocked as ever when Shawn kicked out of the Tombstone, I thought for sure he'd end the streak. But of course, no one does and Undertaker prevailed yet again. I still get goosebumps watching this match, which is the true mark that this match is outstanding and should be studied by every aspiring/current pro wrestler. 5/5

So there you have it folks. Of course some matches could be higher/lower and are interchangeable, but that's what's so great about Wrestlemania. You're always guaranteed at least one great match that immortalizes superstars and gives them historic careers. Also keep in mind people these are my opinions and I know that some matches are rated a certain rating but aren't necessarily ranked according to their match rating. That's because it's a list of my favorite matches and favorite doesn't always mean best. Until next time folks, it's been real, it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun. Deuces!

Submit "Top 10 Wrestlemania Matches" to Digg Submit "Top 10 Wrestlemania Matches" to del.icio.us Submit "Top 10 Wrestlemania Matches" to StumbleUpon Submit "Top 10 Wrestlemania Matches" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RatedATB! Glad to see you back bud! Not a bad list, I especially agree with the top 3. But then again.. I am an HBK mark. Looking forward to the rest of your mini series
    Definitely agree with taker vs hbk at mania 25, one of, if not the, greatest match i have ever seen
    Very very accurate list. There's a reason they call Shawn Michaels "Mr. Wrestlemania". He has a horrible record at Mania but he's been involved in the greatest matches at Wrestlemania. I wouldn't change your list one bit.

P.S. Lookout for the bashers, they tend to really lurk on top 10 lists.
    Good list, but Macho Man vs Ricky Steamboat called and asked what was up.
    Bret Hart vs Owen Hart deserves number 1 spot or to be in the top 3... Kurt Angle vs HBK and Undertaker vs HBK is much to high on this list, thos matches shouldnt be higher ranked than Austin and Hart WM 13 and Austin and Rock WM17.
    HBK v Hart iron man match is just the de facto greatest match of all time...IMO, before I got in to wrestling I knew about the epicness of that match, and same a lot of the general public...but none the less good list (Y)
    Don't agree with no. 10. I remember watching it, and being pretty bored. I would've put Triple H vs. Undertaker, from last year, in the list instead.
    I'd put your no. 7 waaaayy higher, too.

Good list.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.