View RSS Feed

Dubs

Thoughts on Alberto Del Rio

Rate this Entry
Another day, another 8th blog! Hey blog-read readers. Today I want to talk a little bit about the Mexican Aristocratic, Alberto Del Rio! Since there are mixed-feelings about his character, I thought I'd put my two cents in.

Alberto Del Rio

Alberto Del Rio, hes the 3rd Hispanic wrestler to ever become a WWE Champion. He has been pushed to the moon, winning the 2011 Royal Rumble and faced off against Edge for the World Heavyweight Title at Wrestlemaina 27 last year. Although he didn't win that match, he soon won the Money in the Bank match and cashed in on CM Punk to become the WWE Champion at Summerslam 2011. Now, it looks like Alberto Del Rio will be at Wrestlemaina 28 as one of Ace's team members to face off against Teddy Long's team. WWE has been really trying there hardest to make him one of the top heels in the WWE but it seems as if he doesn't draw heat like the rest of the heels. Most people on the forums don't like his character at all. I'm pretty much in the minority when I say I do like Del Rio's character, though I pretty much can see why other people don't.

I like Alberto Del Rio's character. His character is charismatic and larger than life. Even though its similar to JBL's character, JBL wasn't the only one to do a rich heel gimmick. So I don't understand why people say Del Rio's gimmick is a copy of JBL's gimmick. Alberto Del Rio's character makes for a hated heel but the only problem is, his character is one-dimensional. Hes not very good on the mic which has a big effect on his character drawing heat. As a heel, its very important to have strong mic skills in order to get the fans to hate you but Del Rio just doesn't have that. He says the same thing in his promos which is "This is my destiny!" which becomes stale very fast. If Del Rio can just improve on his mic skills, then he would draw heel heat.

To be honest, its not all Del Rio's fault that he can't draw heel heat like the other heels on the roster. WWE simply pushed him way too much. Think about it. He debuted in 2010, became the 2011 Royal Rumble winner, faced Edge for the World Heavyweight Title at Wrestlemaina 27 which he lost, became the Money in the Bank winner, and cashed in on CM Punk to become the WWE Champion at Summerslam 2011. Someone else could have won the Money in the Bank match like Dolf Ziggler or Kofi Kingston but WWE decided to give it to Del Rio who was already becoming a main eventer at that point. WWE constantly shoved him down our throats and it backfired on them. I always thought Del Rio should have stayed an upper mid-carder for a few more years until he was really ready to become a main eventer. WWE loves pushing some wrestlers too fast which works out for some wrestlers but for others, it doesn't plan out the way they wanted to plan out.

Overall, I'm a fan of Alberto Del Rio. His wrestling ability is top-notch. I really love how he works the arm to set up for his armbar submission hold. He has great in-ring psychology than most of the guys in the back. He needs a lot of work on his mic skills. Other than that, hes a great heel who can be one of today's top heels if he improves on his weaknesses.

Thanks for reading guys! Hope you all have a good day!

Submit "Thoughts on Alberto Del Rio" to Digg Submit "Thoughts on Alberto Del Rio" to del.icio.us Submit "Thoughts on Alberto Del Rio" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thoughts on Alberto Del Rio" to Google

Updated 02-26-2012 at 03:16 PM by Dubs

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    One thing must be accepted abt this guy..his wrestling is top notch beyond any point!!

n u brought a very gud point..his work on the arm to set his submission is very gud n reminds me of OLD SCHOOL WRESTLING..

His failure is creative failure...I think, even his mic skills r also not so bad...jus that creative shud come out with a gud persona for him...
    He has great in-ring psychology? He works the arm to set up the arm-bar submission?

You do realize it's a choreographed show, correct?
    his mike skills are absolutley atrocious! I remember the tail end of last year when he was fueding with punk, he didn't even respond to punks critisizms, he just smirked and said he was champion therefore he was the man (which punk actualy squashed by pointng out that he only got the title via MITB). ADR made punks promos unwatchable... which says alot caus we all kno how gd he is on the mike
    yes he is v. talented in the ring... but i always wondered why WWE pushed ADR over someone like say, Ziggler, who IS the full package, and has been there longer, therefore more desered of a push
    Updated 02-27-2012 at 09:57 AM by Deadman_87
    I know del Rio has a lot of haters - but I love it. All the reason more to push him - because I think Alberto del Rio is a complete wrestling talent. When it comes to the business having lots of haters can be gold if pushed the right way (that's how Vince McMahon turned himself into the greatest heel in the history of the business).

The fact that nobody else likes him in the back makes what could be a legendary career all the better. It doesn't seem to bother Alberto, that's for sure.

Should he have a world title reign under his belt at this point? Probably not - but that's how WWE creative works these days - these people have no idea how to run a promotion and they think handing out title reigns is the only way to make a program with a wrestler work.

After CM Punk and Jericho, for me, del Rio is the top commodity the WWE has.
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    He has great in-ring psychology? He works the arm to set up the arm-bar submission?

You do realize it's a choreographed show, correct?
    I obviously know that its a choreographed show. In-ring psychology is used as a meaning of story-telling in a match. Its also used as a meaning of knowing how to work a crowd during a match. So when I said I like how he works the arm to set up for his submission, I meant I like how he tells a story in the ring, using his mential intelligence in a kayfabe way.
    Here is a thought let him steal vickie away from dolph via vickie turning on dolph which will gain him more heat and turn dolph face in the end. Thus, making dolph a main eventer and del rio gettin more boos than cena at one nite stand every given week. He will b a top heel for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J. The People's Champ
    Here is a thought let him steal vickie away from dolph via vickie turning on dolph which will gain him more heat and turn dolph face in the end. Thus, making dolph a main eventer and del rio gettin more boos than cena at one nite stand every given week. He will b a top heel for sure.
    That's a pretty good idea AJ! Del Rio and Vickie as a couple would do wonders for Del Rio's career.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.