View RSS Feed

Dubs

Re-booking history: Chris Benoit's World Heavyweight Title reign

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Hello blog readers. If you don't know or have been living under a rock (), I usually do blogs where I re-book past angles and feud. This time, I'm going to re-book Chris Benoit's World Heavyweight Title reign. I'm going to point out the problems with his reign and fix them with my own booking solutions based on my opinion. Lets get into things shall we!

Chris Benoit

After years of paying his dues and finally proving to the WWE that he can be a credible main eventer by putting on great matches, he finally became a World Heavyweight Champion by defeating Shawn Michaels and Triple H in an emotional moment. Him becoming world Heavyweight Champion was the biggest thing to happen to the company since The Rock, Brock Lesnar, and Goldberg all left. WWE was now trusting the vets in Benoit and in Eddie Guerrero. Benoit would then lose the World Heavyweight Title to Randy Orton at Summerslam 2004. Although Chris Benoit finally became a World Heavyweight Champion in the WWE, his World Heavyweight Title reign didn't live up to the hype. His reign can be easily forgotten if it weren't for his big Wrestlemaina win against Shawn Michaels and Triple H. There are many reasons why his reign didn't live up to the hype. Here are those reasons:

No memorable feuds under his reign:
Chris Benoit didn't have any memorable feuds or moments under his World Title reign. Although he did have good matches under his reign, he only defended his title against four different wrestlers with those wrestlers being Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Kane, and Randy Orton. I would have booked him into more feuds with guys like Chris Jericho, Christian, Shelton Benjamin, and Edge. He needed more memorable feuds and not just filler feuds that meant nothing.

Chris Benoit's reign gets upstaged by Triple H/Shawn Michaels:
Chris Benoit defended his World Heavyweight Title against Triple H and Shawn Michaels once more at Backlash. After successfully retaining his title, Chris Benoit would then feud with Kane for some odd reason. Right when Chris Benoit was starting a feud with Kane, Triple H and Shawn Michaels were continuing their feud. To make things worse for Chris Benoit's World Heavyweight Title reign, Shawn Michaels and Triple faces off in a Hell in a Cell match at Bad Blood 04. This upstaged Chris Benoit's feud with Kane on so many levels. I get that Shawn Michaels and Triple H were continuing a feud but come on, they were feuding all year long from 2003 all the way to 2004! After the Triple Threat match Shawn Michaels, Triple H, and Chris Benoit had at Backlash, I would have booked Triple H vs Chris Benoit for the World Heavyweight Title afterwords. It made no sense to continue the Shawn Michaels/Triple H feud since they already feuded enough til the point where it got boring. Imagine Chris Benoit vs Triple H inside a Hell in a Cell? That would have been AMAZING!

Benoit's reign ends too quickly
His reign lasted 4 months. Now I know people may say that the length of his reign was reasonable but when you think about it, in those 4 months, he only defended it against four different competitors. Like I said before, I would have booked him in programs with more wrestlers. I also would have had his reign last from April when he won the World Heavyweight Title to October where he could havr dropped the World Heavyweight Title to someone else. Having his reign last 2 months longer than his reign lasted is reasonable as it gives him more wrestlers to start a feud with.

Randy Orton ends Benoit's World Title reign:
I get that Randy Orton was a rising star and all but he shouldn't have been the one to end Chris Benoit's World Title reign. It just didn't make an inch of sense. Randy Orton wasn't ready enough to become a main eventer at that time and giving him the World Heavyweight Title backfired on WWE. Once WWE realized that Orton wasn't ready, they put the belt on Triple H. The person I would have booked to end Chris Benoit's reign was either Triple H or Edge. Triple H makes sense because he was the one that Benoit defeated to get the World Heavyweight Title so having him finally beat Benoit would have been logical. Edge also makes sense because Edge was a great heel on Raw at the time and could have been one wrestler that Benoit couldn't beat. Kinda like a Brock Lesnar/Rock type storyline with Chris Benoit not being able to beat Edge even though he beat the othergreat main eventers. Edge was finally getting his taste in the main event scene and having him defeat Chris Benoit for the World Heavyweight Title would have been great to see.

Thanks for reading my blog! Take care guys!

Submit "Re-booking history: Chris Benoit's World Heavyweight Title reign" to Digg Submit "Re-booking history: Chris Benoit's World Heavyweight Title reign" to del.icio.us Submit "Re-booking history: Chris Benoit's World Heavyweight Title reign" to StumbleUpon Submit "Re-booking history: Chris Benoit's World Heavyweight Title reign" to Google

Updated 02-25-2012 at 06:54 PM by Dubs

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Whenn at wrestlemania Benoit became the camp..the only thing came into my mind is Jericho n he are going to make WWE hot again!!

I mean their feud for IC championship was so memorable that made IC Belt looked more prestigious than even WWE Championship...

I still do not get why WWE has not cashed on it..Y2J n Benoit had gr8 in ring chemistry..

My fav match of his reign is that one hour iron man match with HHH...Benoit really played the underdog role pretty well!!!
    Good blog Dubs, and very valid points, especially that Orton shouldn't have ended Benoits reign
    The main reason why Orton ended the title run was so that he would be the youngest champion ever instead of Lesnar, who abruptly left the WWE.
    i agree with all your points

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.