View RSS Feed

Robstar

How The Ratings Are Ruining The Ratings In WWE

Rating: 3 votes, 2.67 average.
I've mentioned this in a couple of threads now, but think it warrants it's own thread.

I think that WWE's obsession with ratings breakdowns are seriously hurting the product and the wrestlers. Before the WWE had such and intense and detailed breakdown of what was rating when and where (with WWE deciding the WHY for themselves), guys had the time to get over. WWE were obviously judging things by a different yardstick then, I don't know whether they were physically canvassing the fans or basing it on crowd reactions or what.

The continual habit WWE has of feeding untried and untested or just a bit green guys to COLD CROWDS will only ever be met with an ambivalent reaction. Never mind getting the crowd worked up the right way. But that's just another issue, another problem.

Ratings are only indicative of people watching at home - WWE do you know who these people are? They are either - A)too apathetic to get out to see the product; B)very fickle, possibly part-time/sometime fans who compulsively channel surf anyway, people who have been lifelong attuned to only seeking out the highspots, the most interesting parts of any show, not just wrestling.

Then there's the people who stay watching, which is where the small rating reading comes from. Plus, I have a question - do they only read ratings of the reports from live ratings (or not live with SD) from strictly within the U.S.? If so, how is that demonstrative of the appeal of things as a whole?
WWE wants ratings NOW and they are not patient enough to let something cook properly - they throw it in the oven, either turn it all the way up and wonder why it comes out burnt or keep the temperature low and wonder why it's taking forever to cook. That's the most appropriate analogy I can think of.

*My first blog!!! Be kind*

Submit "How The Ratings Are Ruining The Ratings In WWE" to Digg Submit "How The Ratings Are Ruining The Ratings In WWE" to del.icio.us Submit "How The Ratings Are Ruining The Ratings In WWE" to StumbleUpon Submit "How The Ratings Are Ruining The Ratings In WWE" to Google

Comments

WWE wants ratings NOW and they are not patient enough to let something cook properly - they throw it in the oven, either turn it all the way up and wonder why it comes out burnt
    sounds a little what they did to cm punk isn't it?
    I'm to the point where i rather see a good promo than a great match. That's how i rate.
    An interesting blog. However there is one small problem it. The WWE has said time and again, that they are not overly concerned with the ratings. Their primary concern is keeping the sponsors happy...Which they do, with the exception of a select few. People continue to think that they are still in a huge rating war, they are not, they won that war well over a decade ago. There are plenty of other aspects of this industry to talk about other than wrestling.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.