View RSS Feed

RavenEffect

Did John Cena and CM Punk Switch Roles? Nope. Not Even Close.

Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
I was just watching the Punk-CNN spot (what can I say, I'm a sucker for human beings who think beating women is wrong) when I noticed the only comment below it urging me to read a blog that tells the not-so-accurate tale of Punk becoming the new Cena, how he's already watered down and stale, and how nothing is different about the WWE title. Having read this blog already, I remember finding it annoying because it just sounded like bitching for the sake of bitching. I can't speak for anyone else, but hey... wrestling is finally getting good again. We're wrestling fans though, so naturally we cannot acknowledge this fact and instead feel the need to bash everything that's wrong with the product and wax braggadocio on how we'd make much better bookers than the powers that be.

Anyway, here's the comment and a little retort from me. This is not meant as an attack on Knox or Hill or, aw what the hell if you want it to be an attack, eat your heart out girls.

In the comments section of the Punk-CNN video, Edward Hill writes:

"For you CM Punk fans please read Did John Cena & Cm Punk Switch Roles? by Knox. (He hits the nail in the coffin)."

Nope. He doesn't. He doesn't hit any nail on the head. Or coffin, or any other mix-and-match idioms you feel the need to come up with. The blog is pretty horrible actually because it's completely derived from lack of attention. Cena isn't funny. Cena isn't well-spoken. (Screaming really loudly and changing accents to adjust to crowds doesn't add points to one's speaking ability.) Cena is slightly witty, but in a very mechanical sort of way. Cena has set punch-lines and makes sure that everybody watching him knows they are indeed set punch-lines.

Punk is naturally funny (any commentary he's ever done, especially the NXT stuff). Punk is well-spoken, he doesn't need to scream or add a Bostonian twang to his rants, nor does he tack on a street thug accent as his intensity grows. He simply doesn't need to. Come to think of it, I don't believe anyone should. Except maybe New Jack, who will in fact, fucking cut you (you = general public). Punk is so naturally witty he'd give Johnny Carson a run for his money. Punk has set punch-lines, but instead of dropping a line and trying to look cool for doing it, he'll just slip it into a promo with the greatest of ease (see: "Mine went straight to DVD, just like yours.").

The blog says that nothing has changed in WWE since Punk took the belt and "took over", that Punk has become stale, just like when Cena carried the strap. Really? Because I've never seen Cena put on top quality TV wrestling matches with guys like Ziggler or Danielson or Mysterio or Kofi or Morrison. Don't get me wrong, Cena can deliver a HELL of a match. The guy just gets chemistry and story-telling and all those little things the WWE loves oh-so much. All those little things that ensured a guy like Rob Van Dam would never be top dog. These are the things that work as a great match's exoskeleton. RVD had that meat (the crazy spots, the flashy moves, the crazy moves, the SIMPLE moves) to fill the skeleton, but no "storytelling"; no exoskeleton.

Cena is the opposite. He's got all the things to provide a match with a skeleton, but I've never seen him provide any of the meat. And that's at BEST. That's on Pay Per View. I've never seen Cena deliver the stuff Punk is delivering week after week in his TV matches. I've never seen Cena throw in little interesting moments like incorporating the handshake of honor or tribute Savage elbow into a match. I've never seen Cena throw the WWE championship around or bang it against a cage like a rock star smashing his guitar. I've never seen Cena do anything interesting with that championship and wait, weren't Punk's exact words "I'm going to make this title interesting again"? Wasn't the whole point of this dude's blog to say that he hasn't made it interesting and things are the same? Well things aren't the same. The times, you see, are indeed a-changin'. Shit was unbearably boring and stale when it was Cena, Edge, and Orton every night. And yes, mostly due to booking. But none of those guys did anything to make shit interesting again. Punk is doing those things.

I've never seen Cena commentate and do a better job of it than most of the regular announcers. I've never seen Cena cut a promo (in the last 7 years anyway) where he didn't say something about how he's going to stay real and true to himself no matter what. (It's boring and we get it John, you have morals and shit.) Word Life. I've never seen Cena perform a single wrestling move that made me say "Man, that was awesome." Come to think of it, I've never seen Cena perform any more wrestling moves than I can count on my two hands... ever.

Submit "Did John Cena and CM Punk Switch Roles? Nope. Not Even Close." to Digg Submit "Did John Cena and CM Punk Switch Roles? Nope. Not Even Close." to del.icio.us Submit "Did John Cena and CM Punk Switch Roles? Nope. Not Even Close." to StumbleUpon Submit "Did John Cena and CM Punk Switch Roles? Nope. Not Even Close." to Google

Updated 02-24-2012 at 09:59 AM by RavenEffect

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Theicon
    All Knoxs blogs are absolute dribble & he knows it lol
    First off, I agree with DK. I don't see the point in comparing Punk and Cena. Cena is Cena, and Punk is Punk.

Secondly, above me the person I quoted. Icon, if you don't like Knoxs blogs, why comment on them. Sometimes I think Knox makes a valid point and agree with him, and other times I disagree with his views and explain why. I don't call his blogs dribble or call one of his blogs ass kissing. If you don't like Knoxs views(which it seems you don't), instead of slamming in, just ignore it.
    As much as this kinda turned into an anti-Cena rant, I agree that Punk has changed the WWE Title into something interesting again. I can't remember how many Cena title matches I've watched and thought to myself "Cena's gonna win this because the storyline wouldn't have any continuity otherwise" (I honestly think Cena has been carried by his more talented opponents for the past seven years in the main event). If you look at my blogs you'll see very little that I complain about (other than things I would have done slightly different), and it's because over the past year I've been happy with the product. They have talented superstars and they're getting the slow, meaningful pushes that they need, rather than the 'we hate Cena' pushes of the last several years (see R-Truth in 2011), and a Champion that more than 50% of the audience likes to see. And best of all, he's the total package - charisma, talent, and the ability to tell a story in his matches.
    I dont see Punk and Cena being alike but I don't think CM Punk changed wrestling and he is much more watered down then he was before the Shoot promo and superman push.

Punk made alot of promises and hasnt really delivered... Punks promos have been lack luster and his humor as been dry. I seen his promos against HHH and Cena after Money in the Bank and it was so awkward, Punk was trying to be funny and he tried really hard but he wasnt, Like when he coughed for 2 mins and said "See I was acting", it came off so bad I felt awkward for him.

Or when he went on a rant how people from space think Johnny ace is borring, Just plain Dumb and it did remind me of Cena a bit.

Match wise Punk had a really good match with Ziggler and a Good match with Bryan but other than that its been ok matches. and his PPV matches have been nothing to talk about.

To me Bryans Promos are the better promos in WWE at the moment and Bryan is the much better performer and wrestler than Punk. But Punk has more main stream appeal just like Cena has more mainstream appeal than Punk.
    Great blog and I agree with everything you wrote!

@Knox - Ignore these guys. Let the haters hate!
    I specifically registered to this site so I can say stuff like this.......

'You guys really need a better hobby'
    I'll be honest and say right now that im not a fan of john cena. He can't wrestle more then 5 moves a match (and even when he does it's rare) He can't truly wrestle as many of the greats and legends have over the years. He's ultimately stale and boring, I can't connect with his persona or how he's trying to sell himself as the man for the WWE and lastly not ONCE in his entire WWE career have I seen a 5 star match from him...EVER!

As for cm punk, im a slight fan of his. I'm not a cm punk mark by any stretch of the imagination BUT I do watch his promos and matchs on whatever show he's on and at ppv's because the guy can actually wrestle. Has he really brought everything to the table that he said he would? Honestly I don't think he has completely but he IS more entertaining then Cena will ever be.

The only difference in that is by the fact I will watch any match with cm punk in it because I watch it for wrestling end of. But when it comes to a promo or wrestling match by Cena I consider that a piss break or on the same lines as a divas match, a borefest.

If anything I'd ONLY watch a cena match as long as it was with another wrestler I liked. I.e I watched the ambulance match cuz I am a fan of kane and I really couldn't give a toss about stale ol cena, throw a midget in the ring to face kane or even michael cole. Couldnt give a damn about predictable ol' john boy.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.