View RSS Feed

The Next Big Thing

One simple solution to usher the WWE into modern life

Rate this Entry
I am not going to go on and on and on about what we already know, that despite all the good happening with Mania coming up and some of the good things we see, that WWE is clearly ailing. Not in the terms of what we see on TV, big screen sets, lots of pyro, all of that presentation. What is ailing though more than anything, is identity. It is the one thing that they have been trying to re-find since the attitude era ended to be honest. In the wake of the attitude era, WWE often would desperately try to get back that feeling of being "hip" that they had for a couple of years. Hell, they even brought back ECW. I can understand now why Vince put the kybosh on ECW, because it was in danger of becoming a real big thing, and he knew it (He wasn't just going to throw away his brand for ECW was he?). I am getting off point here, WWE spent a good 5 or 6 years trying to get back to the plateau they were on in the attitude era. That plateau was so good, that WWE were really all on their own, even when wCw was still in business. WWE were their own niche, not just a wrestling company. That is the feeling Vince was trying to get back after all those years. The Benoit thing put some priorities in place though. From that horrible moment on, it was about consolidating the future of the company, which I believe has been done in spades. But the one thing Vince and his company yearn for is to be accepted by popular culture. It happened twice, will it happen again?

I am going to write a few blogs with my various "collection of little" idea's for the WWE to consider altering to their presentation.

For my first blog, I say entrance music needs to be updated.
Now, of course, the established music for guy's like Kane, Show, Punk, Cena, Rock, Austin, HBK, HHH and Undertaker has no need to change at all. They are all established or retired to a point where if you got rid of their current entrance theme's, or a variation of them, that it would ruin part of the wrestler's recognizable factor. For example, We may be sick of Cena's music to death but unless a complete change of character is going to happen then it woud be completely dumb.

Dance music, whether you love it or hate it, has become very mainstream in the last few years. All the horrible (in my opinion) pop songs are now heavily influenced by the electro genre of dance, and from what you've seen of the WWE network promo, WWE are already up to speed on this dub-step fad (and it is a fad). This is the world now, the common music listener loves electronic dance even if they don't know it, and dance music (to some, not me :-)) is a big big fad. To WWE, that shouldn't be any different of a fact. They just need a guy like me who knows a shit load about dance music to point them in the right direction If somebody either debuted or he got a complete overhaul, the entrance music can often make or break him, hard to believe but it's true. If the music is good and fan's are excited to hear it, and the guy embraces it, woohoo that's good. Sometimes the music can be good but with a bad performer, who just doesn't come alive to his entrance music. That would be a waste, which we want to avoid.

Whether you like Dance music, love it, hate it, indifferent to it, leave a comment. I am going to add some songs I picked and make note of who i want this for and what i want it to achieve. And if you hate it, try and imagine this song being used and see how you'd feel about it then. I know I've hated the likes of Saliva over the years and all the other nu-metal bands they embraced for a while, but I could tolerate, even like it, on WWE. This would be the same, only different. Here we go.

THE PRESETS - MY PEOPLE

I'm not a big fan of the presets, i dont hate them, but theyre a bit too heavy for my taste(I'm into lots of dance, from trippy shit to simple yet in depth drum n'bass). Regardless though, this would be perfect for a man of the people kind of gimmick, not a suck up but someone who is clearly over with people and interesting. It is up tempo and would definitely garner a reaction, which would be perfect for Dean Ambrose from what I've seen of the guy.

JAPANESE POPSTARS - LET GO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ_LUoLTKLo&ob=av2e

Currently a huge song in the dance scene in Europe, the only reason Japanese Popstars are not completely main stream is because they don't seek it. I have seen them 15 times (they are from Northern Ireland), sometimes at various festivals alongside bigger and more famous names, and their tents are always bulging with people and an unrivalled atmosphere. A true phenomenom in dance music, Vince would be smart seeing the creativity of using this as the entrance for an exciting superstar. My tip, Justin Gabriel, if they ever want to make him seem cool.

JAPANESE POPSTARS - RISE OF ULYSSES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USjLH...eature=related

Maybe I'm cheating here, but bands like Saliva did more than one song for the E. This is another powerful song that they could use, perfectly fitting for letting you know that a monster is here to feast. Seeing as he's a terminator or something, give it to Skip Sheffield/Ryback.

INFECTED MUSHROOM - BECOMING INSANE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6hL6fkJ1_k

Keep in mind with this list that I'm doing. WWE has to be a nearly different place, at least in terms of attitude in the overall show. It would need to be at a pear again for music like this to fly properly. We can dream right. This song would be perfect for some guy who's lost the plot, like R Truth, but more vicious than funny but a once normal guy who completely cracked, like an Al Snow going mental one day kind of thing.. I see vicious potential in ... Drew McIntyre

even for the same gimmick, try this theme below from 2:55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQs_dv4o3Is

Next...

SKREAM - SUMMER DREAMS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soaAo8sx3Yc

This tune has some serious legs to it. You know what I was saying about dubstep being no more than a fad, thats true, but this kid here is Skream. Well after dubstep isn't cool anymore, he'll still be doing dub and doing it better than anyone else. He is basically the Liam Howlett of the dubstep industry. That means Skream is The Prodigy of dubstep (Prodigy is mainly about Liam Howlett, the rest of the band are sideshows really). This is an entrance song nobody would get sick of, even after they are sick of dubstep. Because simply, nobodu does dubstep as good as Skream. An unassuming superstar could use this, someone who doesn't have a gimmick but has a future, for fun let's say a tag team, whoever that might be.

SKREAM - COLOURFUL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_mtL...eature=related

If the tag team changes music, it would be best to give them a seamless transition then something completely different. Or, new music if one of them goes solo. I promise I'll stop pimping out Skream.

That is it, basically if you read it all and you even listened to it all my point is that this is one way WWE should be getting in touch with what is out there at the moment. They are not in touch with their fans anymore, we can see this as clear as day. I have put these songs in on the basis that WWE knows what they are really doing again. For the last 10 years WWE has been bumping from turnbuckle to turnbuckle hoping to find that one thing that makes them relevant again. It's no quick fix, it takes time, and more importantly, vision. Making your wrestlers seem "cool" is what wwe needs. They only need 1 guy to set everything off really. Part of what makes people notice a wrestler, is the entrance theme. If it is something people get into, it goes a long way to establishing that characters.

I will be doing a new one of these either every week or every few days, and I will try and keep them as un-obvious as possible. I enjoyed doing this one because I got to combine wrestling and some music I like together.

So if you want to add comments, please please please even if it's negative it's the only way I'll learn. If you have song choices, by all means, feel free to add.

P.S. I'm sorry there is only one video up, I never ntoiced this before but I can't add more than one. That's life anyway.

Submit "One simple solution to usher the WWE into modern life" to Digg Submit "One simple solution to usher the WWE into modern life" to del.icio.us Submit "One simple solution to usher the WWE into modern life" to StumbleUpon Submit "One simple solution to usher the WWE into modern life" to Google

Tags: music, wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Not to be negative or anything, and its just my opinion, but I'm not really seeing any of this working. I mean the only ones that i think would fit would be the choice for Ryback (and thats only if they went very gimmicky with him), and the one you selected for Drew McIntyre, although i see it working more for someone more spanish, such as Primo if he ever breaks out, or even Sin Cara if he goes heel, because of the rapid instrumentals. The rest of the choices fall kind of flat for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by butch magnus
    Not to be negative or anything, and its just my opinion, but I'm not really seeing any of this working. I mean the only ones that i think would fit would be the choice for Ryback (and thats only if they went very gimmicky with him), and the one you selected for Drew McIntyre, although i see it working more for someone more spanish, such as Primo if he ever breaks out, or even Sin Cara if he goes heel, because of the rapid instrumentals. The rest of the choices fall kind of flat for me.
    thanks for your comment.

to be honest, I just picked a few of these random tunes because they are energy personified imo, and I think wwe needs to instill as much energy as possible too.

with the theme for drew, maybe not for drew, but I wanted them for some psycho gimmick because of the song content "I'm Becoming Insane/I'm Deeply Disturbed" but I didn't really take too much note of the rapid instruments, so in that regard your right, it would be good for primo/epico/heel sin cara"

Not the applause I was looking for but thanks for giving me your opinion mate.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.