View RSS Feed

knox

What the hell happened to the U.S. & I.C. Championships?

Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Hey guys Knox here hoping all is well. As many of you know I try not to complain much about anything. I basically come here to blog and offer my constructive criticism but not this time. I'm having a huge gripe with the overall decline of the United States & Intercontinental Championships and something has to happen.

Let me tell you some of my worries and how to basically fix some of this crap that's going on. Simple and plain, the main reason for the decline of these respective titles are the lack of an effective creative team. I think both the WWE & TNA have one trick ponies running things as of now.

Why take away Jack Swagger's television time as soon as he wins the United States Title?

I think this is what bothers me the most. Before Swagger won the United States belt he was pretty much slated on Raw every week as backup for Dolph Ziggler. Hell it even started to look like the bookers were beginning to gain some faith back in Swagger as he was just recently wrestling top guys like Cena & Orton just a month ago on Raw.

My question is why suddenly write him off television the second he takes the United States belt from Ryder? How did this even go down with the creative team. I'm trying to figure who would give the "ok" to take the U.S. Champ off of television for three weeks and counting with no true reason. I mean the U.S. belt hasn't even been discussed. They could have atleast had King or Cole work us and mention Swagger's absence and give some sort of a reason. Which leads me into Rule #1.

Rule #1: Never leave any Champion of television from their respective brand (Raw or Smackdown)

I can't believe we as fans have to tell a juggernaut like the WWE how to book the simple. There is no reason why any champion should not be on television from their respective brand including the Tag Team & Divas Champs. Its absurd. No excuse for that.

When is the last time Cody Rhodes defended the Intercontinental Championship?

The last time he defended this title was January 12th against Booker T of all people. I love Booker T but can you believe a retired wrestler is the last real feud our Intercontinental Champion has been apart of. Its pure crap. Which leads me again to my last point.

Is the WWE purposely destroying the Intercontinental Championship?

Now hear me out guys as I explain this. Cody has been champ since August of 2011. Can you believe he hasn't even defended the title 10 times yet? Well believe it because it hasn't been 10 times yet. He defended it once against Ezekiel Jackson, Ted Dibiase Jr., John Morrison, Sheamus & a Battle Royal and I believe a couple times against Booker T. Please correct me if I'm wrong I'm going based off memory.

This is killing the credibility but guys please bare with me because that's not the only factor that killed the credibility of this title. Let's talk about how Cody Rhodes introduced the classic 80s style white Intercontinental Championship just to never defend it. Man the IWC were buzzing over that but ofcourse the WWE couldn't do the easy thing and have him defend the belt atleast twice a month. It really makes me question who's pulling the string.

Why Cody Rhodes didn't defend the belt against Randy Orton during their feud?

This is the straw that broke the camel's back. This is what in my opinion killed the Intercontinental Championship. Basically the WWE booking team felt that Randy Orton was too good to compete for the Intercontinental Championship so during that very exciting feud the title was never on the line which was very awkward.

These two did battle at the Vengeance PPV in a non-titled match in which Randy Orton won. The fact is they wanted to book Orton to win so putting the title on the line would've meant that Orton would have won the Intercontinental Title.

But my issue is for once why couldn't they actually put the belt on the line and have Cody Rhodes go over on Orton? Would that really kill Orton's credibility after all he's accomplished? Hell no.

The WWE in result killed the credibility of the Intercontinental Championship just to make Randy Orton look good. Ironically the same title that took Randy Orton's career to big heights back in 2003 and 2004. I can't make this crap up.

Intercontinental & United States Champions & feuds of the past:

• The Rock vs Triple H for the I.C. Championship back in 99 and 00. Back in those times the I.C. Belt meant just as much as the WWF Championship.
  • Shelton Benjamin & Carlito's feud for the I.C. Belt. Man it wasn't a high profile feud but it sure was a feud that brought some of the greatest matches I've ever seen. Even in those days the title meant something.
  • MVP & Matt Hardy's feud for the U.S. Title. Definitely high profiled as they were maineventing Smackdown for a while with that belt. Their feud was absolutely sweet.
  • John Cena & Booker T's U.S. Title Feud. I will never forget their best of 5 series, that was awesome.
  • Mr. Perfect & Bret Hart's I.C. title feud. Dude one of the greatest feuds of all time. Enough said, this came in an early time in their careers and it really set the bar for the greatness they achieved.
So yea that was just to name a few above. I know its guys like the Honky Tonk Man & the great Pat Patterson whom I forgot to mention but you all get my point. Those were times when the title actually meant something.

Conclusion:

Thank you all for checking out this blog. Please leave feedback and let me know what you all think. Basically it becomes a problem when you have to really dig deep to remember who the current Intercontinental & United States Champions are. I literally forgot Cody was even the champ. Something has to change. Sometimes I feel like the WWE are purposely trying to kill the credibility of every title.

Thanks again guys and PLEASE check out my new song below. Unil then.

CHECK IT OUT CHECK IT OUT. NEW TRACK NEW TRACK NEW TRACK.

Submit "What the hell happened to the U.S. & I.C. Championships?" to Digg Submit "What the hell happened to the U.S. & I.C. Championships?" to del.icio.us Submit "What the hell happened to the U.S. & I.C. Championships?" to StumbleUpon Submit "What the hell happened to the U.S. & I.C. Championships?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Knox I guess like WWE u too left Benoit..

Benoit's feuds for those titles with various feuds added so much credibility to them..

the credibility of IC title which was lost after Bret leaving WWE..was gained only with Benoit n esp his feud with Y2J....

When, US Title was re-introduced...Cena carried it better...n Benoit too did his work for the title...Benoit carried US title with pride..n JBL at commentary made him more credible..I still remember one day..Cole said "here comes benoit perhaps teh best US champion of all time"...JBL replied"perhaps one of the best champions for any title of all time"

That was Benoit...again..with this example..I wanted to mention one more point u have discussed in the blog.. commentary!!

When JBL called Benoit the then US Champ as the best champ of all time for any title...it is not just making Benoit a credible champ..but also giving US title the credibility n made ppl believe the best in the world will go after it..
    trust me bro, I respect your opinions. You always show the utmost respect when you comment my blogs and everyone else's blogs so your always going to be a friend of mine....but I will never mention Benoit's name if it means giving him props. What he did outside the ring pretty much erased everything great that he did inside the ring. I can see if he raped someone, i could accept if he committed armed robbery....but the dude took the life of his precious creation which is his son.

People forget the father's are supposed to be heroes. Daniel Benoit looked up to his dad, that was his hero. He took the life of his poor innocent son. Alot of guys give me heat for how I often criticize Benoit but that's because its easy for them to forgive Benoit because Benoit isn't in their family. How do you think Benoit's other kids feel knowing that their mother and little brother is gone due to the actions of their dad.

But yea Sahu, your my bro man, so i respect your opinion but I refuse to show Benoit any respect. Everything he did in the ring means nothing to me any longer. He's a disgrace to Canadians like Bret Hart, Chris Jericho, Edge, Lance Storm and Christian. Its no place in history for a man who kills his son.
    Quote Originally Posted by knox
    trust me bro, I respect your opinions. You always show the utmost respect when you comment my blogs and everyone else's blogs so your always going to be a friend of mine....but I will never mention Benoit's name if it means giving him props. What he did outside the ring pretty much erased everything great that he did inside the ring. I can see if he raped someone, i could accept if he committed armed robbery....but the dude took the life of his precious creation which is his son.

People forget the father's are supposed to be heroes. Daniel Benoit looked up to his dad, that was his hero. He took the life of his poor innocent son. Alot of guys give me heat for how I often criticize Benoit but that's because its easy for them to forgive Benoit because Benoit isn't in their family. How do you think Benoit's other kids feel knowing that their mother and little brother is gone due to the actions of their dad.

But yea Sahu, your my bro man, so i respect your opinion but I refuse to show Benoit any respect. Everything he did in the ring means nothing to me any longer. He's a disgrace to Canadians like Bret Hart, Chris Jericho, Edge, Lance Storm and Christian. Its no place in history for a man who kills his son.

This is the best reply to the why Not Benoit? discussions. I see that you are a man of principles and one who thinks not only from the brain but from the heart. Benoit's actions outside the ring speak louder than inside.

On topic you had an excellent blog. There have been many great feuds for those titles and now it is apparent that they are worth as much as some titles that don't exist anymore. Just as a look to the past
    Thanks alot Kaiser, I do feel like there are alot of great feuds that I missed out on but yea I just feel like the WWE has to capitalize on these opportunities to bring credibility back in these titles. I really think an established guy like Orton wearing the I.C. title would really do something big for that belt hands down.

But none the less, atleast have the belt defended. The WWE has a stacked midcard of guys like Ted Dibiase, Alex Riley, Tyson Kid and Trent Baretta just to name a few who would love to wear those belts.
    i agree with your blog in most respects, but i'm going to have to correct you on cody. he has defended his title numerous times, a lot more than your stated ten, at house shows. just because it isnt televised doesnt mean it didnt happen. you might remember that people said the same when miz was us champ, yet he constantly defended his title on the road, it just wasnt always televised
    A very interesting blog as always, there is really no excuse for these titles to not be featured in a more productive way that allows them to re-build their prestige, especially when you consider how much TV WWE produces every month.

The key, and I believe this of all titles, is to make it something wrestlers aim for. They should be goals and described as such by everyone in the promotion. The best days of both belts seem along time ago to me and you pick out some great moments.

Titles should have an air of exclusivity, so many wrestlers have a run with a title that it becomes meaningless to have them.
    Some great fueds were mentioned but I just wanted to add some more wrestlers who brought prestige to these titles...
    Rick Rude with the IC title and his fued with the Ultimate Warrior was awesome...
    Honky Tonk Man...no matter whether you liked him or not he was the longest reigning champion and to I enjoyed his matches with Randy Savage (SNME) as well as others...
    Magnum TA was a great US Champion as well.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.