View RSS Feed

Final_Silence

The last two of an ERA?

Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Hey everybody, this is my first blog and I'd like to really just jump into it.

Let me first start off by saying this is about the so called "End of the Attitude ERA". And the ERA is defined roughly from 1996ish to 2001ish.

See all the talk of Undertaker and HHH being the last of their kind got me thinking. How are they defining "their kind", because the last time I checked, there were still others from that period. Not many but still some. The next names are in no particular order.

1. Mark Henry. (Debut March 11, 1996). And to say he wasn't a top name in WWE is accurate but he was known. Being part of the Nation with names like The Rock, Farooq, and D'Lo Brown. He has been a workhorse for all that time and even held the European Title. And after all this time had a great push and won the World Heavyweight Title. So was he not part of the ERA?

2. Kane. (Debut October 5, 1997). Now here's a man who was among the names you usually associate with the AA. Over his career he's held many titles. He had many memorable feuds in the ERA, such as Undertaker and Austin. But also had some memorable Tag Teams as the Brothers of Destruction and his run with X-Pac. He was involved in many main event story lines, and just always held his own.

3. Christian. (Debut September 27, 1998). Okay so he came a little later in the ERA, but none the less was part of it. Helping define it in the famous TLC matches. Now this again was the later part of the ERA but was still technically the ERA. Edge and Christian, the Brood, facing the Hardyz, it was great. He was never really a headliner in the period but should definitely not be over shadowed.

4. The Rock. (Debut November, 1996). I know what you're thinking, he's been gone 8 years. Okay yes he has, but he has wrestled in matches since then. And considering The Undertaker is only wrestling one match a year, can you really disregard The Rock? He faced Legacy with Foley, wrestled this SS, and now this WM and possibly a bit further. I know it's not totally comparable but wouldn't he have to stop wrestling totally? I know this one is a stretch but arguable.

My biggest complaint is Kane, because he was there from basically the beginning of the ERA and is getting pushed to the side like he wasn't. Some honorable mentions are Big Show and Chris Jericho, who arrived later in it but still contributed. It just doesn't make sense that they keep proclaiming they're the last two and will end the ERA. To me, the end of the ERA will be when the stars from it are no longer wrestling, no return matches, no week to week story lines, and just nothing left to remember it by.

Submit "The last two of an ERA?" to Digg Submit "The last two of an ERA?" to del.icio.us Submit "The last two of an ERA?" to StumbleUpon Submit "The last two of an ERA?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    You do realize that they have been wrestling since way before the attitude era right? That's not what they were talking about at all. They were talking about the old days like when Vince was a commentator. the late 80's to early 90's for those not in the know.
    I think they're building it as being the last great rivalry of that time. Think about it, all the other great feuds are dead and buried (get it ) Austin vs Rocky, Taker vs Kane, Foley vs Taker, Michael vs Austin, Hardys vs E&C vs The Dudleys to name a few, there are no other feuds that really will be resurrected from that era so I think it is the death with the last two greats of all time sqauring off to send of arguably the greatest reign of all time... The Undertaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpercio450
    You do realize that they have been wrestling since way before the attitude era right? That's not what they were talking about at all. They were talking about the old days like when Vince was a commentator. the late 80's to early 90's for those not in the know.
    HHH didn't debut in the WWE until 95'... So a year before Henry and two before Kane makes that much of a difference? He was in WCW before that. Plus Kane debuted in 95' as well just as Dr. Isaac Yankem.
    Updated 02-21-2012 at 04:24 PM by Final_Silence
    'The end of an era' label being put onto this feud is to signify the two biggest success stories left from the Attitude Era. I pointed this out in my latest blog but of the 24 HIAC matches that have happened those two have been in a combined 18 of them. That's one hell of a contribution to the industry (let alone the AA). My advice, don't over-analyse this. Just let it build up as a great match. This could be the very last match for both of them so why not just enjoy it?

Also, HELL IN A CELL! Frick yeah!
    During the attitude Era, Christian and Mark Henry were not main event wrestlers and Kane was a pre main event wrestler, therefore they don't belong in the same group as HHH and The Undertaker. You could even mention Jericho and Big Show in that sentence as well. The Rock isn't a wrestler anymore he's an actor
    me and a friend of mine were having this discussion and we also thought it was weird considering the people listed are still around. I mean when kane debuted it was a pretty big deal and it seems like they just kind of shitted on him saying hhh and taker are THE last 2 left. But with all that end of an era talk it does make me wonder after the match where do they go from here. What will define the new era or what does wwe want to define the new era ?
    I agree with the guy on not over analzying it. Just enjoy one helluva 6 weeks - especially this HHH and Taker feud. Cause it really may be the last of its kind. The true end to the best era in the history of wrestling. I fully expect this Hell in a Cell match to be an old school HIAC...not this new crap...Heck in a Cell if you will. I cant wait for this match...but once its over...I will say a wrestling piece of me will be in mourning.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.