View RSS Feed

LincolnHawk

Why The Rock doesn't deserve to be at WrestleMania.

Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Surely the idea of announcing a match a year in advance would be to give it the biggest build in the history of the WWE. The prospect of a year long feud is an exciting, yet brave one. Keeping the audience’s interest in a feud for twelve months is a difficult task and from April 4 2011, I knew that WWE would struggle with this task.

Up until about a week ago, I’d pretty much forgot about the whole feud if I’m honest. The fact that we’ve seen pretty much neither sight nor sound from The Rock killed this feud off completely. The idea of it really got boring for me and even now with the hype and extravaganza, I’m not excited about it one bit. I honestly couldn’t care less. The fact that the guy is getting more publicity for the event that both the WWE and World Champion is a little bit irritating when they’ve worked all year to headline that event.

The problem with the feud is simple; Dwayne Johnson. On the back of John Cena’s promo last night on Raw, I have to agree with what he had to say, whether it was in character or not. Twelve months ago, The Rock announced that he had returned to WWE. Had that not been a bare faced lie, the feud could have had a chance of solid build. Of course, The Rock left once more, popping up a couple of times throughout the year and mainly by satellite video. I don’t by any means dislike The Rock. I started watching WWE in 1997 and observed his rise to the main event and then beyond. The Rock paid his dues long ago. I’d go so far as to call myself a Rock fan during this period. The Rock was a great talent and was for a time the face of WWE. I mean to take nothing away from what he has given to the business and I certainly wasn’t bitter when he decided to leave it. I – like any other wrestling fan – was proud of The Rock for making it in Hollywood, just as I was proud of Brock Lesnar when he made it in the UFC.

My issue with The Rock does not go back as far as when he left WWE and I’m not so dramatic as others who would say that he ‘turned his back’ on the company. When he returned prior to WrestleMania last year, I was excited just like everybody else. My issue has grown over the past twelve months and it’s quite simple. The fact is that The Rock has turned up on WWE television only a handful of times and it’s for that reason that I don’t agree with him headlining the biggest event of the year. I respect what The Rock gave to the wrestling business but the fact of the matter is that he doesn’t deserve that spot at Mania. There are over fifty people on the WWE Roster who travel the world all year round, working their arses off for that organisation. I assume some work harder than others but every single one of them is on the road, dedicating their lives to what they do. Each one of them would argue that they deserve that spot more than The Rock.

Today, an anonymous WWE Superstar has claimed that The Rock is in this for himself, that he alienates himself from the full-time roster and he’s only bettering his own wallet. As outsiders we can only take this anonymous Superstars words for face value but even if they happen to be inaccurate, I could understand the sentiment in the frustration of some guys on the roster. Some would argue that if we are to use my theory, Triple H and The Undertaker don’t deserve to be on the WrestleMania card either. That’s bullshit. Whether you like him or you don’t like him, the WWE is Triple H’s life. He’s on the road as much as any wrestler on that roster and he’s never refused to put over a guy. Triple H is all about promoting the next generation. Just look at Sheamus for evidence. Randy Orton, Batista, John Cena. The respect that The Undertaker has speaks for itself. He’s still considered a leader of that locker room and as this anonymous Superstar said, he’d be working his arse off if he was on the road with WWE. It certainly looks like The Rock doesn’t receive the same respect that The Undertaker has and there has to be a reason for that.

Reading this, you’ll probably think it’s all about The Rock. It isn’t. It’s about the people on that roster that work 365 days a year. They shouldn’t be missing out on the biggest stage of them all because The Rock fancies popping in, or because WWE decides to put Snooki on the card. They shouldn’t be missing out because precious time on the card is spent whilst Vince McMahon is having is head shaved by Donald Trump. WrestleMania is meant to be a showcase of WWE’s talent. WWE’s talent should be rewarded with the work that they put in by receiving a spot on the card, not missing out due to a one-off appearance by The Rock who wants a big pay-cheque. It’s for that reason that I’ll be really quite annoyed if The Rock wins in Miami. If he’s retired and this is his final match, he – as the past – should be putting over the present in John Cena. I’ve never been a big John Cena fan. To be quite honest, I’ve never been a fan at all. But his love for WWE cannot be questioned and neither can the work that he puts in. John Cena deserves that match. The Rock doesn’t deserve to be in it, let alone winning it.

Submit "Why The Rock doesn't deserve to be at WrestleMania." to Digg Submit "Why The Rock doesn't deserve to be at WrestleMania." to del.icio.us Submit "Why The Rock doesn't deserve to be at WrestleMania." to StumbleUpon Submit "Why The Rock doesn't deserve to be at WrestleMania." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Why is The Rock less deserving of a match at Wrestlemania, but The Undertaker isnt? The Rock has been on WWE TV and PPVs this year(WM to WM) than Undertaker. If you don't think Rocky should be there you surely must think Undertaker shouldnt too.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.