View RSS Feed

azure

WWE: The End of an Era

Rating: 3 votes, 4.00 average.
Hi all I had these thoughts on my mind all day since I re-watched this morning and I've been thinking about Triple H said to Shawn Michael on raw, which of course was some pretty powerful stuff, scripted or not it hit home for me and I thought I'd share what I've been mooching over in my head.

Triple H mentioned about it being an end of an era, with himself, Shawn and the undertaker being all that's left of a generation ago and deep down I believe he's right. Wrestling as a whole, the product of the WWE is still watchable but it hasn't grabbed my interest in the past because of my favorite wrestlers passing away, i.e Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit. You see I grew up on WWE way back in the 1980's all the way to today and from then to say 2007 I've still loved it. I did however stop watching quite a bit when Eddie died as his death really did home for me. It didn't make me hate the product at all, it just made me miss what it was without him there, but I do keep tabs on the product possibly out of fear as who's next to pass away, which in all honesty no one wants.

But let's look at what Triple H said, you could say it all ends when the streak ends. If the undertaker does lose that would be it for him in the wrestling business as a whole, as it's been said that as long as the streak survives so will the undertaker. But let's be realistic about this: the undertaker isn't getting any younger he's hitting his 40-50s and not one wrestler is obligated to continue to wrestle just because we want them to for our entertainment.

You've got to take into account his health issues and injuries that he may or may not have and regardless if that paycheck is big or not, whether he's doing it for the fans or not, but at the end of the day he still has to think about himself and what risks he's willing to take for our entertainment.

I want you to seriously think and consider this: What does happen IF the undertaker loses at Wrestle-mania.

You could say a loss is a loss, or someone finally beat the streak or the streak should end so he can continue to wrestle for our enjoyment. But what happens to the WWE as a whole? The undertaker, Shawn and Triple H really are all that's left of an era we grew up on. All 3 of them are veterans in this business and when they go what are we truly left with?

Granted we still have Kane and Big show that are left of that era but both are also in their 40's and upwards also and Kane himself says he's still gonna be around for quite sometime, as for the big show who can say?

And what about wrestle-mania itself? The showcase of the immortals. Many could say or debate that they watched WM in the past for the entire show, the main event of just to see undertaker defend his streak. But no matter how you cut it, if there's no more streak and no more undertaker at wrestle-mania then what's it going to be like in the future or the WWE for that matter?

Shawn's retired, Triple H is taking care of the business for when it becomes his company and every now and then wrestles at a ppv for when the business needs a boost in ratings and as for the undertaker, he's done so much for business as a whole that doesn't need to do anything else, he's absolutely done it all. All that's left is for him is to compete at WM to keep the streak alive.

As for whats left of the WWE are a new breed of fresh faces for us to watch like Sheamus, Kofi kingston, CM Punk and Dolph Ziggler to name a few. With only a handful of veterans left and a lot of fresh new talent I would say that, THAT is a fucking lot of responsibility to continue a brand of what people like Taker/HHH and shawn have done for all of them. It's a huge legacy of expectations that's going to be passed to all of them to bear, for them to take the ball and run with it and try and keep the WWE universe as the juggernaut it is and that to me worries me.

Look at the past crop of WWE wrestlers that we all know and loved: Taker, the rock, stone cold, mick foley, HHH, HBK, Kane, Big show, the Hardys, the dudleys, Kurt Angle, Benoit, Eddie, Edge, Christian, and Rey Mysterio.

Look at that line up of wrestlers, every single one of them have hit major PPV's and given us quality matches. Each and every wrestler with a personality and a character we grew up with loving and/or hating. Some have passed away, some have retired, others have gone to different wrestling promotions and a few to movies.

Compare all them to what wrestle-mania and wrestling meant and means as a product for us all. Everyone of them made wrestling fun and great to watch every single time it was on the tv and then compare all them to the current roster we have now.

The are some fresh wrestlers that I don't mind but only a very small handful of them really screams 'watch me, I can entertain you' or 'this is what wrestling should be'

The WWE is a product that is becoming an end of an era. It's not giving us what we grew up and what were used to with the roster of years gone by, ala attitude era. The ball WILL fall on their shoulders, with a legacy and a brand that they have to continue in a billion dollar business that may no longer be successful without the veterans in the game anymore. And if the ball continues to stay squarely on the shoulders of someone like john cena then we as wrestling fans who wanted to watch this product for real wrestling then I can say we are well and truly fucked. Because their won't be anymore gongs and the arena going dark, with a roar of the crowd that sends a chill your spine every time you hear it.

No were gonna be stuck with a fruity pebbles corporate poster boy bitch who can't wrestle worth a lick to a handful of those wrestlers I've mentioned above and wrestling itself for us all maybe become sad and stale indeed.

And as for wrestle-mania, when it comes to being the big one where we get to see those 'dream matches' that makes us part with our hard earned cash to watch a spectacle that gives us the absolute best wrestling matches that will continue to stand the test of time and for years to come? To me it won't be the same without the undertaker there or any other veterans, the product will be different, just not the same as we know it.

But in the end, everything eventually and does have to end. No one lives forever, people can't wrestle forever in the business no matter how much we want them to. Everything ends and nothing lasts forever, not even wrestle-mania. BUT it has been said in the past: wrestle-mania is where it all ends and begins again....so we'll see..

A few final thoughts:
*Perhaps what Jericho was saying about it being in 2012 it would be the end of a era, perhaps that was a nod in the Takers direction as if to say this what we really should expect with the takers possible defeat at wrestle mania.

*I honestly think hardcore holly should have been WWE/WHC in his time with the WWE. The man has a smash mouth style, a brutal finisher and if he kicks as much ass as Benoit did in the past, I could have honestly seen him being a brutal and cool champion simply for the fact he can wrestle. Vince really dropped the ball on him I think and was a missed opportunity that could have been good for business if Holly was promoted right.

Until next time, sorry that I was long but I had a lot to think about and say. I hope you enjoyed this blog as I put a lot of consideration into it.

Azure

Submit "WWE: The End of an Era" to Digg Submit "WWE: The End of an Era" to del.icio.us Submit "WWE: The End of an Era" to StumbleUpon Submit "WWE: The End of an Era" to Google

Updated 02-15-2012 at 07:48 PM by Frank

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Gud Blog!! Whether Taker wins or loses....we will not see him again on TV...HBK/SCSA/Bret/Foley/Edge and many more r retired....Kurt left WWE along with few more...what we have now in the roster are Y2J, Rey, Xtian, Show and Kane ( I mt have missed few) from the yester year era....n again..Rey / Xtian are having injuries every now n then...Y2J is not in that past touch...Probably Kane is the only Vet who can still compete week in week out with almost same audacity.. SO it is the end of an era...

What is worrying more is...In the current gen...ppl got bored of Cena..RKO is getting hurt every day....so who has to take it forward?? Punk/DB/ZIggler/Sheamus/Rhodes...n except for Punk...no one has proven big time in WWE yet!!!

So, a lot of responsibility is on WWE (probably HHH).....Tough Times for WWE...
    People had the same concerns about wrestling before the attitude era my friend. Wrestling has always had up & down periods. Althoigh you raise a valid point about Cena, Punk & the current crop of young talent being forced down our throats every week. People are sick of Cena(& its not his fault), Punk may be WWE Champion but he isnt big enough to carry Wrestlemania by himself. But then again no one ever has, if the card was put together the right way the whole show would flow to the climax. The ball was dropped on far to many wrestlers to even begin to list. I miss Eddie & Chris too Bro!
    agree with most of this, except for holly. bob holly? wwe or wh champ? are you serious bro!?! in all honesty, i think holly was fortunate enough to have been employed by the wwe for as long as he was. for me, personally, he became irrelevant as soon as the attitude era ended and lets be honest, he wasnt that relevant before hand. his time as spark plug bob holly was the peak of his career.
    While what you said is pretty obvious, it all comes down to a concern of: can the WWE recover?

From their current actions, my answer is no, mainly because of their cookie-cutter talent promotion. The WWE now isn't much into bringing in wrestling's best, they want to home-grow their own "best". Daniel Bryan and CM Punk are exceptions to the rule, but get used to seeing guys who you've never seen outside of a WWE ring, and therefore, guys who you question whether or not they truly deserve to be there at all.

There is no WCW anymore, a brand that CANNOT be ignored. TNA? That CAN be ignored, and will be. The WWE is the fascist state of wrestling, the ultimate authoritarian. They think they know what's best for the entire wresting world. The problem with a market monopoly is that the product ALWAYS recedes, and that's what you're seeing. There is no "Oh Crap, WCW put up X so we have to top it"... Instead, it's "We will do X, and the people WILL like it". And many people do "like" it, but it's not MUST-SEE like it used to be.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.