View RSS Feed

steviej893

Greatest Announcers/commentators

Rate this Entry
I was reading some of the previous blogs about top and least favorite wrestlers and thought I'd try to spark so convo on top commentators. The art of commentating and telling a story to go along with a great wrestling match seems to be forgotten to an extent so I figured I'd take a trip back and remember some of the greats who helped make some of the greatest matches ever better. Off the top, four commentatoing teams stood out:

Jim Ross and Bob Caudle-Back in the mid to late 80's during the UWF's run, these two called the action. I think they were great because there was such a vast knowledge of wrestling between the two of them. There was no heel announcer so the usual back and forth between the "face" announcer and the "heel" announcer was lacking but they were still a great team.

Jim Ross and Jerry Lawler-They were great together and played off of each other perfectly. They were a more current version of...

Gorillia Monsoon and Bobby Heenan-To me they were the greatest commentating team in wrestling. The back and forth between these two never faded, but despite all of their verbal jabs at each other over their favorite wrestlers, you sensed that there was a tremendous amount of respect and friendship between them. When I was younger, WWF Wrestling Challenge used to come on every Saturday night and I looked forward to the commentating just as much as I did the matches.

Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura-They would be right at the top along with the previous team for all of the same reasons. Just an awesome duo.

Dishonorable mentions: Mike Tenay, and Don West, and Tony Schiavone (the absolute worst man ever to be behind the mic).

Submit "Greatest Announcers/commentators" to Digg Submit "Greatest Announcers/commentators" to del.icio.us Submit "Greatest Announcers/commentators" to StumbleUpon Submit "Greatest Announcers/commentators" to Google

Updated 02-13-2012 at 12:55 PM by steviej893

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Nice blog I agree with everything you said esp Gorilla and Heenan but your missing Matt Striker off your list of the worst announcers ever
    Quote Originally Posted by inyourhouse
    Nice blog I agree with everything you said esp Gorilla and Heenan but your missing Matt Striker off your list of the worst announcers ever
    thank god u brought it up. I hate striker. He is awful. Idk why people like him at all!!!
    Ross: Virgil is unconscious. Bobby: When Virgil's unconscious he's usually on his feet talking to you.
    Gorilla: You're supposed to be a broadcast journalist — be objective here. Bobby: I told you to shut up!
    Bobby
    : How long's he been in there now? Monsoon: 46 minutes and counting! Bobby: HOW COME YOU KNOW THIS STUFF AND NOT ME?
    Shivoane stunk? What are you nuts?! Striker is 10 times worse than Shivoane is and ever was!
    The Top 5 Best Announcers In Wrestling History (In No Particular Order)
    01: Jim Ross
    02: Joey Styles
    03: Gorilla Monsoon
    04: Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
    05: Jesse Ventura
    Honorable Mention: Paul Heyman
    To be perfectly honest, I liked Joey Styles and Tazz, they worked well together. Also, How could you miss William Regal? If you'd seen some of the newest episodes of NXT you'd know how hilarious and good he is.
    How did mike Adele not make the list of worst announcers? I don't think we'll ever forget the Jeff "Harvey" incident.
    Quote Originally Posted by blink
    How did mike Adele not make the list of worst announcers? I don't think we'll ever forget the Jeff "Harvey" incident.
    Correction, ademle. God damn pop music is gonna ruin my iPhone spell checker!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.