View RSS Feed

matt1tude

Unpredictability - The Lost Art Form

Rate this Entry
Hello all, first time blogging so hopefully it's not too bad of a read. I'll try and have my grammar up to scratch. (don't want the grammar police knocking on my door)

This is something I randomly thought about on my walk home earlier today and thought I'd share with you fine people.

Ok, so unpredictability in wrestling theses day's are as rare as finding a £20 note down the back of the sofa. The question is what are the reason's behind the lack of surprising, shocking moments that make your jaw drop. I'm going list some of those things that I think contribute to this problem. If anyone wants to add some other reasons It'd be very much welcome.

I'm not however going to list anything to do with bad booking or the writers being lazy etc...

1st - The Internet:

This is the big reason why there is no unpredictability in wrestling nowadays. With news websites like this one reporting spoilers for taped shows or insiders giving away details of planned story-lines or breaking news of who's signed with who takes away the surprise factor of when those things are shown on TV. This is one of the problems that won't change period, the internet is here to stay until the world ends this December. (lol)

2nd - Taped Shows:

Now this in conjunction with the Internet is a problem. especially TNA who tape 2 shows in 1 day, and sometimes even a whole months worth of shows in 2 straight days. I know TNA want to keep their company easy-going and desirable for the easy schedule but it is also hurting them. They do need to go live to get anywhere above the average rating they consistently get. And go on the road and scrap the impact zone permanently. WWE isn't perfect either, with SmackDown being taped days before being shown is one of the reasons they don't have the Raw like ratings. Now I'm not saying all shows need to go live week after week but if they did the ratings would significantly improve. Because after all if you don't know what's going to happen then anything can happen, and in a world where anything can happen it makes the show something worth watching. Which is one of the reasons why Raw consistently gets the highest rating out of all Televised wrestling shows, because it is live.

3rd - 90 Day, No Compete Clause:

Now this is something I'll probably get negativity for, but hear me out. Back in the day of the 1990's, wrestlers would join and leave a company almost freely when their contract was up. Now I know I'm singling out WWE here but as far as I'm aware no other wrestling company restricts a released wrestler from joining another promotion. To me it makes no sense what-so-ever, I mean they've pretty much fired someone for whatever reason meaning they are no longer useful to them. So why stop a wrestler from moving on with their career to a promotion that will make use of them. It'll save WWE money from paying people for 90 days who are no longer contributing to the company, why waste money? I know you may be thinking I've deviated from the point of the blog, so let me return to my point. Now if you look at the reason why WCW became so popular during the Monday Night Wars was the unpredictability and one of those unpredictabilities was wrestlers appearing on Nitro within hours, days or weeks of leaving WWF. For example: Lex Luger wrestled for WWF on a Sunday night when his contract was up but then appeared on Nitro the next night, or Hall and Nash who joined WCW weeks (unsure of the dates) after leaving WWF. Hell Rick Rude appeared on Raw and Nitro on the same night, now that's some crazy shit. I know because of things like that is the reason Vince put the 90 day clause in place. Meaning Vince does consider TNA competition otherwise that clause wouldn't exist. If I Remember correctly the clause will only allow a wrestler to appear for a promotion without Television syndication.

In closing, what do you guys think? what other reasons are there why unpredictability is a lost art form in wrestling today?

Thank you for taking the time to read through my first ever blog. Unfortunately I can't pay back the time you've lost.

Peace.

Submit "Unpredictability - The Lost Art Form" to Digg Submit "Unpredictability - The Lost Art Form" to del.icio.us Submit "Unpredictability - The Lost Art Form" to StumbleUpon Submit "Unpredictability - The Lost Art Form" to Google

Updated 02-10-2012 at 08:42 PM by matt1tude

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Couldnt have said it better myself bud. Great read
    Technically I don't think Rick Rude was on both shows on the same night. RAW back then was taped and that RAW episode may not have been taped on Monday. NITRO was live and yes he appeared there, but I don't think he made his appearance on RAW, then, right after, immediately left the arena for the NITRO arena and showed up there.
    Good blog but I'd suggest spacing it out with paragraphs to make it clearer.
    I'm really sorry. I really wanted to read it. Soud like a great topic, but its killing my eyes. You really need to xspace it out.
    damn it. i did have it spaced out and in paragraphs etc.., something must have gone wrong when i edited it. ill sort it out.
    Updated 02-10-2012 at 08:47 PM by matt1tude
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWonder
    Technically I don't think Rick Rude was on both shows on the same night. RAW back then was taped and that RAW episode may not have been taped on Monday. NITRO was live and yes he appeared there, but I don't think he made his appearance on RAW, then, right after, immediately left the arena for the NITRO arena and showed up there.
    Oh yeah i know Raw was taped back then. what i meant was to the audience at home watching it appeared as though he was on both shows within X number of minutes/hours.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.