View RSS Feed

wrestlingfan66513

Blog Wars 11: Top 5 Big Men in Wrestling

Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Welcome to another episode of Blog Wars. Last week, deadly56 was able to end Dr. Death's reign by just a few votes in very close match. This week Wade Barrett 1979 looks to end his reign and become the Blog Wars Champion. Without further ado here is the list.
Top 5 Big Men
This week I asked the competitors to name some the best big men wrestlers in history. Criteria: Must be above 300 lbs. Other things to consider; ring work, mic skills, and history making moments in that order.

deadly56

Whats up guys your new BlogWars Champion is here.Today we are talking about the Top 5 Big Men. The people I have chosen maybe massive, but I also chose them because they made a massive impact to the WWE/WWF.

Earthquake

A successful sumo wrestler in Japan before making the move to sports-entertainment, the massive Earthquake first built his reputation as a destructive force in the Land of the Rising Sun before making his way to WWE. Weighing almost 500 pounds, Earthquake would literally shake the ring when he stomped on the mat. His Earthquake Splash was even more destructive, squashing everything from Hulk Hogan's ribcage to Jake Roberts' python, Damien. Quake's size doubled in the '90s when he formed The Natural Disasters with Typhoon, capturing the World Tag Team Championships and flattening countless competitors.

King Kong Bundy

King Kong Bundy liked making statements. That's why the 445-pound mountain of a man would demand that the official count to five after Bundy had flattened an opponent with his devastating Avalanche splash. Often referred to as a "walking condominium" by Gorilla Monsoon, the Atlantic City-native made history when he pinned S.D. Jones at the inaugural WrestleMania in nine seconds. The following year, Bundy would experience yet another milestone in his career when he battled WWE Champion Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania 2 in a Steel Cage Match. Bundy never captured the title, but his size and aggression made him a serious danger in the ring.

Big Show

Let's get one thing clear about Big Show - The World's Largest Athlete isn't just a clever nickname, it's a fact. Standing at a towering 7-foot tall and weighing more than 400 pounds, the titan is one of the most imposing men to ever enter a wrestling ring and perhaps most athletically gifted Superstar to ever be called a giant. Dominating from the very beginning, Show won the WCW Championship in his very first match in 1995. He would continue to collect gold, becoming the only man to win the ECW, WWE and WCW Championships. I hope sooner or later Big Show will capture back the World Heavy Weight Championship, and have a decent reign.

Yokozuna
yoko_7.jpg

He has a masssive weight of 589 pounds, Yokozuna weighed literally twice as much as the massive Batista. This earthshaking mass served the dominant sumo wrestler very well during his time with WWE as the giant stomped his way past Hall of Famers like Bret "Hit Man" Hart and Hulk Hogan on his way to two WWE Championships. Managed by Mr. Fuji for the majority of his career, Yokozuna was deceptively agile for a man of his size. And his Banzai Splash, in which he plunged from the second rope onto the chest of his prone opponent, always guaranteed victory.

Andre The Giant

Who else did you think would be number than Andre the Giant. He was A key figure in the storied history of sports-entertainment, Andre the Giant rose from humble beginnings in Grenoble, France, to become one of the most recognizable men in the world. His stats are gospel amongst longtime wrestling fans - 7-foot-4, 520 pounds. His unquenchable thirst has become the stuff of Internet legend - cases and cases of red wine, 120 beers in one sitting. Rumors aside, what remains true is that Andre is a legitimate folk hero and a WWE Hall of Famer thanks to his major matches with Hulk Hogan, Big John Studd and many other Superstars.

Wade Barrett 1979

Hello everyone. Firstly a big thanks to Wrestlingfan66513, for allowing me to express my jabberings in his blog!
So on to this episode's topic: Top 5 Best Big Men
CRITERIA: 300lbs upwards

No5: Bam Bam Bigelow
From his beginnings in Memphis territory wrestling, Bigelow would progress through WCCW, where he picked up TV Title gold and on to WWF.
He had an up and down career with WWF, with an injury seeing his release from the company. He went to Japan in the interim, where he formed a team with Vader winning IWPG tag team titles.
He re signed with WWF and here he had one of his most well known matches; a match against NFL HOFer Lawrence Taylor, at Wrestlemania XI. He carried Taylor to a shockingly watchable match.
His departure from WWF, would see him move to ECW where he garnered success by becoming both TV and World Champion.
His time here would pave his way to a return to the big time, when he signed with WCW. He would claim the Hardcore and the Tag Team titles. He would remain with WCW, until it's demise in 2001.

No4: Giant Haystacks
Perhaps one of the largest men to ever step into the 'squared-circle' of professional wrestling, Giant Haystacks stood 6' 11" tall and at his heaviest tipped the scales at just over 49 stones (around 686lbs). In the confines of the ring, Haystacks was a consummate villain who berated both the fans and the babyface wrestlers while using his overwhelming bulk to flatten the opposition.
In the course of his career, Giant Haystacks performed the world over. He was applauded in India, made an honorary citizen of Zimbabwe and claimed that he counted Frank Sinatra as a devoted fan. Giant Haystacks also attracted a healthy amount of curiosity and urban legend generated by his huge size; it was rumoured at one time that he ate a breakfast of three pounds of bacon and a dozen eggs to maintain his weight and build.
He continued to perform into the early '90s and was approached by WCW to wrestle Hulk Hogan under the moniker of the 'Loch Ness Monster'.

No3: Big Van Vader
Vader cut his teeth in the AWA. In 1987 Vader went to Japan to compete in NJPW. Here he was given the name Big Van Vader.
In a match with Antonio Inoki, he almost caused a riot when he defeated an already battered Inoki.
He became the first man to hold the CWA and NJPW Titles at the same time, as well as the being the first person to ever hold two World Titles from two seperate companies.
He also added the UWA World title, which he held for about a year.
He was brought in to WCW, while still holding the IWGP World title.
In 1990, he regained the CWA and IWGP Titles.
He won WCW World gold for the first time, from Sting.
Vader would go on to hold the title on two further occassions.

No2: The Undertaker
Mark Calaway began his career In 1984 with WCCW. While he also had stints in CWA, WCW and even NJPW before his star was formed in WWF, when he appeared as the Undertaker, at Survivor Series.
He would spend his first year battling against some of the biggest names; Randy Savage, Sid Justice, Sgt. Slaughter and Hulk Hogan.
During his long career with WWF/E, Undertaker has won many titles including 7 World Titles, 7 Tag Team Titles, a Hardcore Title and the Royal Rumble.
There is, however, one thing that Undertaker is now synonymous with and that's perhaps his greatest legacy of all; the undefeated streak at Wrestlemania.
On the grandest stage of them all, for the WWE and all WWE fans the fact he has graced Wrestlemania on 19 ocassions, is a massive achievement in itself. The fact that each one of those appearances, has always ended in victory for the Deadman, is nothing short of greatness. It's a record I believe will never be equalled!

No1: Andre The Giant
So finally we've arrived at my number 1 choice! Andre The Giant. The man called, 'The Eighth Wonder of the World.'
In 1972, Vince McMahon signed Andre to wrestle for the WWF and changed his name to capitalize on his enormity. "Andre the Giant" became one of the most recognizable names in wrestling. Before long, Andre's venues were sold out and wrestlers lined up to perform in his shadow.In 1987, Andre drew the biggest crowd in WWF history. A record ninety thousand fans packed the Pontiac Silver Dome in Detroit, Michigan to watch Andre wrestle fellow legend Hulk Hogan in the main event of Wrestle Mania III.
After being the biggest babyface in the industry in the 70's and early 80's he effectively 'passed the torch' to Hogan during this feud and was integral in Wrestling coming to the mainstream.
In all, Andre participated at six WrestleManias and faced some of the toughest opponents in the business. For many years he was known as the 'Uncrowned Champion', until he found his place in infamy and held the WWF title for the shortest reign in history. He also won titles in the (NWA), (IWA) and the WWF Tag Team Titles

That's it for another edition of Blog Wars. Feel free to vote at the bottom and voice your opinion. Enjoy the blog guys.

Submit "Blog Wars 11: Top 5 Big Men in Wrestling" to Digg Submit "Blog Wars 11: Top 5 Big Men in Wrestling" to del.icio.us Submit "Blog Wars 11: Top 5 Big Men in Wrestling" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blog Wars 11: Top 5 Big Men in Wrestling" to Google

Updated 02-04-2012 at 09:27 PM by wrestlingfan66513

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Wade Barrett 1979 (not 76 lol) has this episode.

Great selection by him!
    the fact that i didn't see Kane on anyone's list has my eyes bleeding lol but I'm going with the original Nexus Leader
    Wade Barrett 1979, even though no KANE!!! anywhere.
    wade barret gets my vote because he included bambam, taker, and vader, who all have/had the ability to move fast, with a big body, i would have included umaga too, and off course andre 1st place for history reasons
    WB'79. If only for the inclusion of Giant Haystacks!!
    I prefer wade barrett 1979's list.
    Wade Barrett 4 including The Undertaker and Vader.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.