View RSS Feed

Mikkaelson

Mikey's Mat Musings 3 - The Royal Rumble

Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average.
The Road Dog, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, The Great Khali, Ricardo Rodreguez (In those ghastly tighty whities), Mick Foley, Primo, Epico, Jimmy and Jay Uso, Santino Marella, Booker T, Michael Cole, Jerry Lawler, Karma - and I could go on but I guess I can let Justin Gabriel slide - just about.

On first viewing of the Royal Rumble I was a little deflated. Where were the real superstars? You know, the people that could obtain more than a cheap pop and actually have a chance at winning the thing. The creative department really made us wait for the only realistic contenders - Sheamus, Wade Barrett, Randy Orton and Chris Jericho came in the high number brackets of 22, 25, 28 and 29 respectively. Sheamus won but as a two time WWE champion already, did he actually achieve anything in doing so? A feud with Daniel Bryan a side, a Sheamus victory left me doing nothing more than shrugging my shoulders - "meh". Unfortunately, I don't hold any weighty expectations that Vince McMahon will entrust his highest projected bye rate on the Shoulders of Daniel Bryan Vs Sheamus in the main event of Wrestlemania.

The Rumble created no new story lines, no new feuds, no career advancements and no high spots for any mid card talent. These are the things I expect to come from a "B rate Pay Per View" like Armageddon or No Mercy but not from one of the "Big Four". The closest thing to a memorable Rumble performance was that of Cody Rhodes who lasted 40 minutes and eliminated 5 other wrestlers - but ask your self this. Did anyone notice?

The Barrett barrage looks set to stall in the fued with Randy Orton for a few more months as does Kane Vs John Cena. So in the scheme of things, the Rumble seemed to just provide a mere speed bump on the road to wrestlemania rather than an explosion of new and exciting angles. The following Raw saw Triple H and the Undertaker return - but so far, in what is supposed to be the most exciting time for wrestling fans, I am feeling uninspired.

A sad moment indeed when your favourite Rumble moment is the 'Shake Rattle and Knee Drop' :S

Submit "Mikey's Mat Musings 3 - The Royal Rumble" to Digg Submit "Mikey's Mat Musings 3 - The Royal Rumble" to del.icio.us Submit "Mikey's Mat Musings 3 - The Royal Rumble" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mikey's Mat Musings 3 - The Royal Rumble" to Google

Updated 02-01-2012 at 03:14 PM by Mikkaelson

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great blog the rumble was a let down for sure
    You hit the nail on the head. The Royal Rumble is usually one of my favourite events of the year. This year's was a disappointment to say the least.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.