View RSS Feed

Iscariot

RR2012 Participants: The Roles and the Verdict

Rate this Entry
I've read several pundits, like Matt Seagull over at TheJohnReport, who claim the entrants in the 2012 Royal Rumble was sub-par and a testament to how poor the current WWE roster is. I could not disagree more.

All in all I though this years Rumble was a step up from last year, and probably among the top 10 Rumble matches. Not top 3, but a solid showing, somewhat marred by the descision to use 90 second intervals rather than the classic 2 minutes between each new entry.

Now I won't go into detail about the whole show, or even the bookings during the RRmatch itself, just look at whether the claim that there was obvious a lack of talent among the 30 participants ring true.

The Roles
First of, let me explain what kind of participants I expect to see in a 30 man RR.

Gimmick/Storyline guys
Some participants who probably would not have been in the match unless there was a gimmick or story they tied into. Last year it was New Nexus v. The Corre.

Legends
I use the term loosely. What I mean are familiar faces who's retired or at least works mostly backstage or in other capacities than as full time wrestlers and are in the match for a nostalgia pop

The Returning
One or possibly two surprise entants, wrestlers who have been sidelined by injures for a longer period or maybe have been away with other pursuits, and are returning as full time wrestlers.

Comedy crew
Some wrestlers who are there for a gag, or to play to the crow, usually in the first half of the match

The Diva
I always enjoy seeing one of the Divas mixing it up, as long as she is portraied as the most dominant diva in the WWE. Chyna and Beth Phoenix were both surprises and did a good running in the matches they partook in.

Main Event Material
Any wrestler who plausibly could win the whole ting. Could be established main eventers, wrestlers who are in the main title picture all ready, or just a talented mid carder who might be on the rise in the company.

The Fill
Jobbers to the stars, mid-carders or the occasional tag-team, they might get a good showing, but there is no chance in hell they will win.

So lets look at this years entrants:

Gimmick guys: 3 (or 0 if we count them in other categories as well)
This year alle three guys at the announcer table got involved, and I though it was a fun little one-off. Cole doubles as a Comedy act (YMMV), Lawler can be considered a Legend, and if Booker T isn't then he falls in the Filler category now. WWE fullfilled their wish for the mini-story of one-upmanship from the commentators without shoehorning in too many useless participants.

Legends: 4 (5,5 if we add Lawler and Booker T)
Hacksaw Jim Duggan, The Great Khali, Road Dogg Jesse James, Mick Foley. Foley is somewhat of a comedy-gag as well, but I'll count him in this category. Hacksaw was a given entry of the venerable type at the 25th Royal Rumble, as the winner of the first. Khali worked as the big «threath to win» while Road Dogg showed he still know his way around the ropes.

The Returning/The Diva: 1
Kharma was fresh out of the hospital after giving birth (on new years eve) and probably needs and wants a bit more time before returning full time, but it was a pleasant surprise!

Comedy Crew: 2 (3 including Cole)
Santino Marella was there for the gags with Mick Foley, as well as being a part of the build up, as the penultimate man last year. Ricardo Rodrigues was just hillarious, with his banged up car (notice the license plates) and all the mannerisms and penache of his injured employer.

Main Event Material: 9
Sheamus naturally. Chris Jericho being who he is. Big Show and Dolph Ziggler, even though both fel short in championship matches earlier in the night. Wade Barrett, coming in on a winning streak, and having put Randy Orton «out of action», as well as winning the Survivor Series. Randy Orton as the hometown hero returned from injuries. The Miz, just because it could be the kind of fluke win WWE likes, he's bankable in the media, and he did end up as this years ironman lasting over 45 minutes. Cody Rhodes, as a strong Int'Con. Champion, and with a plan to be a double champion. And possibly Jack Swagger, as a fresh US Champion, former WHC-belt holder and probably on the way up in the ranks again.

Fillers: 11 (11,5 includng Booker T)
Primo&Epico, Jey Uso, David Otunga, Kofi Kingston, Alex Riley, Ezekiel Jackson, Justin Gabriel, Hunico, Jinder Mahal, R-Truth. Of these Kingston and Truth are going into the Elimination Chamber WWE-championship match, Primo&Epico are reigning Tag Team champions and Justin Gabriel might be up for a shot at the intercontinental title soon. So not just pushovers either.

The Verdict
I don't think I've been to kind, when I say that having 9 participants who possibly could have been booked as winners, and about 11,5 participants who's just there from the depth of the roster, isn't to bad, and a far cry from a lot of the Royal Rumbles in the late 90's and early 00's.

As always I hope you'll add your thoughts in the comments. And no grammar-police I hope, English is my second language.

Submit "RR2012 Participants: The Roles and the Verdict" to Digg Submit "RR2012 Participants: The Roles and the Verdict" to del.icio.us Submit "RR2012 Participants: The Roles and the Verdict" to StumbleUpon Submit "RR2012 Participants: The Roles and the Verdict" to Google

Updated 02-01-2012 at 05:50 PM by Iscariot

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wait... you called Khali a legend??
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead200
    My thoughts exactly.

In what world is Khali a legend?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkinhead200
    Quote Originally Posted by No_1eddiefan
    My thoughts exactly.

In what world is Khali a legend?!
    If you'd actually read the description: "Legend: I use the term loosely. What I mean are familiar faces who's retired or at least works mostly backstage or in other capacities than as full time wrestlers and are in the match for a nostalgia pop"
    Good blog,tough i dont really undersand why Swager is in main event category and R-Truth is in filler one..
    Good Blog. Whoever reported that the Royal Rumble showed a weak WWE roster, is not in touch with what's actually entertainment. I'm sure 97% of people watching RR appreciate the 3 announcers, Road Dogg, Foley, etc...I mean, think about it. We could have been subjected to Tyler Reks, Trent Beretta, Curtis Hawkins, etc...instead.
    Swagger is main event because he's been world heavy weight champion. Though R-Truth could be argued into this category too since he did headline Capital Punishment and is on a decent push. He should have at least been thrown into the storyline category with what's going on with the Miz.
    Tbh, Swagger is the weakest in his category, R-Truth the strongest in his. The way I ranked them was due to Swagger having the US Championship now, while R-Truth is not likely to hold a belt anytime soon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.