View RSS Feed

DK Wrestling Savior

TNA from Wembly Arena: What we saw last night...

Rate this Entry
Hey wrestling faithful. DK Wrestling Savior here with, finally, a report on TNA that is worth writing.

I haven't written anything about TNA recently because, well, it has just sucked. The bleeping out of the "A" word, the holding back and incredibly fake looking chair and chain shots by Bubba Ray Dudley, *yes, I said it*, too much Eric Young and ODB screen time. And everything else just seems to go without direction.

That has all changed last night. What I saw last night was a legitimate wrestling organization put on a professional looking show, in front a huge crowd in England, complete with pops, boos, and chants. Pretty much every match was a good match and the show ran smoothly and showed signs of being big time. It was great to see.

I'm not going to break down everything, just touch on things that were good, and the very few things that were not-so-good.

First, I'll talk briefly about the good. Bubba Ray and Bobby Roode drew awesome heat in the opening segment. Sting also got a major pop. And if you notice, the talking in this segment was smooth and it sounded scripted and not awkward. Things are much more enjoyable when it sounds good. *Michael Cole should take a hint, though he has improved in recent weeks, somewhat*

Loved the pops for the hometown Magnus. It was good to see their clean win over the tag champs, even though there was a ridiculous stipulation. it was still a good match.

I'm a huge fan of the X-Division and Knockouts Division. Both matches were great. Austin Aries is bad ass and it was good to see Tara get the win over Gail Kim. Should make for an interesting title match at Against All Odds. I smell a new Knockouts Champion.

Of course, the Bobby Roode vs Cowboy James Storm was a phenomenal match, only to get ruined at the end. In my opinion, I think this match was better than CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan...*though not by much*.

And of course, Hogan draws the biggest pop of the night. As usual, even at the ripe age of 150, he's still the main man everyone wants to see. Even moreso than Sting, I hate to say it, but it's true. Now I'm sure everyone knew 4 weeks ago when Garret first said he had a trainer, that it was Hulk Hogan, but it was still good to see him back in a special role. Hopefully, they don't overkill it with him.

Okay, even as good a show as it was, there was some bad as well.

First, I'm glad Hogan is still popular but, can they please change that low-budget sounding remix of the NWO music please? It absolutely, positively, no doubt about it, 100% completely SUCKS.

Also, this is a big time show, in front of a legit crowd, an amped up crowd that was rockin, and you didn't have one of your top faces in Jeff Hardy or one of your top heels in Kurt Angle there? You didn't showcase one of you major up and coming stars Gunner in a match, just a segment where Hogan buried him? You didn't have one of your cornerstones in AJ Styles on the show? These are legit pieces to the TNA infrastructure. These are major players in your organization right now and you had an extra segment with Eric and Garret? and a second match with Cowboy James Storm?

These are areas that need to be fixed, not just for a big show in England, but in their weekly format. These are the times where TNA just shows too much residue of trying to be the old WCW. And lots of people like to complain that The Attitude Era is over and never coming back. Well, TNA needs to understand that WCW is gone and never coming back. Impact is not Nitro. In the end, Nitro failed. So why would TNA try to become that?

Overall, TNA is a good company. Or at least, it has the potential to be. They got some big time recognizable names and some awesome young talent surrounding them. The proof is in the seeing. Wembly arena was packed last night and I didn't see one pro-WWE sign or hear one reference to anything that happens in WWE, *for example, no one yelled "What"*. These were TNA fans. And management would realize that there are TNA fans all over the country, if they would just get themselves out of the Impactzone.

I said it before. TNA is a company who's fate is in its own hands. The wrestling world is literally starving for competition. Real competition. Not the second rate minor league stuff we settle for. TNA has to stop following suit with the WWE. Stop worrying about what they're doing, and start setting their own precedent. You can only catch up to your competition if you do something that sets you apart from them. TNA lacks that. They could, they really could, be a legit player in the wrestling business. I saw signs of it yesterday with my own eyes. A big crowd, a big venue, high production value, and a well-formatted show. A big THUMBS UP to TNA.

Thanks for reading. I hope everyone is enjoying their week. So far, it's been a really good wrestling week. Let's hope Smackdown keeps the ball rolling.

Submit "TNA from Wembly Arena: What we saw last night..." to Digg Submit "TNA from Wembly Arena: What we saw last night..." to del.icio.us Submit "TNA from Wembly Arena: What we saw last night..." to StumbleUpon Submit "TNA from Wembly Arena: What we saw last night..." to Google

Tags: tna
Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I thought that last night was mediocre at best, but mostly just because I am a huge AJ mark, and the Hulk Hogan-Garrett Bichoff thing was obvious at the beginning. But either way, nice to see a TNA blog as a change of pace around here, maybe I'll launch one some day (we can dream).
    Hardy wasnt there because of his legal issues?
    I am a fan of the WCW like format! WWE is to predictable, too cartoon and scripted. I hate when Cole, King and Book "guess" what will be next before the break! They are selling what is going to happen...makes it less believable! Call what you see! TNA is beginning a Horseman like stable with Roode as champ, Bully Ray as the enforcer who saves the day. They need to add 2 guys that can fight for tag titles and X-Division titles and continue to save Roode. Roode just needs to go back to the robes like he once did, like Flair. Have Flair lead the new regime...forget about Bitch-off!
    It was my first TNA Impact show last night, and it was decent. I think I would have enjoyed more if I saw Jeff, Styles and Angle though. Ray and Storm are alright, but they're not huge.
    Isn't Hardy a convicted felon? Traveling to certain countries is hard to do, when you are a felon.
    Storm is a top face and Roode is your top heel at the moment, so I didn't feel short changed because Hardy wasn't there.
    Also they did have more than one taping in the UK, so next weeks Impact, should have a few other stars than you saw this week.
    As for Hogan and Sting , I think they both got pretty god pops, since this possible is their last time in the UK, it is for Sting.
    Yeah, I do think it was because of Legal issues that Hardy wasn't there. One of the big complaints I have about this show was the fact that Tenay would not shut up about Hogan returning, and when he finally does show up, Tenay just goes like: Oh yeah, Hogan just walked out. Like it was no big deal. The only difference between him and Taz and the WWE commentators, is that they actually call the matches. Angle should have been there in some capacity, and while I think AJ should have been there as well, I'm glad he wasn't because of this stupid Daniels storyline. One of the Top 2 worst storylines in wrestling right now. Good show though, and I do believe that Hogan probably would've received a much bigger pop if American Made started playing. Can we say BFG London in the future?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.