View RSS Feed

Krag

#RR12 Missed Opportunities

Rate this Entry
I felt the Royal Rumble was a show of missed opportunities. The matches were good, and some aspects were entertaining, but I found something missing. Perhaps, the best way to describe the issue is that the matches at the RR don't seem to have a huge impact (if any at all) on the over-arching backdrop of the WWE Universe. It did not prove momentous, epic, historic, which I believe should be the goal of the PPVs.

Daniel Bryan over Mark Henry and Big Show
  • Was it even meant to end like that? Almost looked like Daniel Bryan simply slipped while Big Show was meant to pull him back with one hand... and they seemed to spend a lot of time showing Bryan and Big Show after the end of the match (as if they needed to fill time).
  • Where was Mark Henry in the final bouts of the match, anyway?
  • Big Show may not need a title around his waist, but he needs strong storylines. As long as they don't make him accidentally run into women for the next 2 months.. and then cry.. and eventually embrace hate and Kane... (ok, the last bit might be a nice line to follow)
Beth Phoenix et al. vs Kelly Kelly et al.
  • Sorry, the Bellas need something more to be interesting
  • Beth needs a few violent bouts next (as violent as her finisher was/looked like last night), and then (I hope) to be a heel vs Kharma
Cena vs Kane
  • I was not happy with this one. The double count-out doesn't bring closure, while Cena should be starting the road to his match vs The Rock any day now.
  • Of course, they could keep the feud with Kane alive all the way to WM, but I don't think they need to pollute the Cena-Rock match with Kane. If they felt the need to do that, it would imply that Cena-Rock is not as big a match by itself as they need it to. So they will probably keep this feud going a short while longer and then drop it in the same bin as the Anonymous Raw GM (they have the Undertaker card to play anytime they want to distract Kane), making it worthless for us to follow this storyline and become engaged
  • Zack Ryder is now immobilized on a wheelchair: who did this guy p*ss off?
Brodus Clay
  • All right: enough squashes, or you'll ruin it. Also "What the funk" is not the best name you could come up with for his finisher.
CM Punk vs Ziggler
  • Good job by Ziggler last night (both here and in the RR)
  • Good job by CM Punk as well.. especially in carrying the portion of the match where Ziggler had to play dead weight, because playing against Johnny Laryngitis is like Will Smith's "I Am Legend", where he plays 90% of the movie with only a dog as supporting character.
  • Where to now for CM Punk? Johhny Laryngitis should become someone else's problem (hint: starts with "Triple" and ends in "H") - we might still get a direct match between Punk and Johnny, but I hope that would be the end of the line. Perhaps Punk will be able to run a program with Ziggler (rather than throwing Ziggler in as a distraction between CM Punk and Laryngitis): the kid has been working hard lately and I think he could be impressive (but you need to take Vickie out of his corner to let him shine)
Royal Rumble Match
  • Kudos to The Miz for a valiant effort, and for not playing the whole "I got in as #1 - I quickly disappear and rest till the final four" routine. I've said it before: The Miz did not impress since the split from R-Truth, but last night's effort in the rumble could be a turning point (at least for the in-ring side of things)
  • R-Truth also did a solid job. I think he could have deserved a win of the Rumble, but it may be too soon after his suspension. However, let's get him involved with more people than The Miz now, ok?
  • Cody Rhodes: impressive work, might be worth following in a solid storyline. Also, I think the reason why the confrontation with Goldust has not happened yet is because out of the ring Goldie might just be on a much higher level, and stump Rhodes' development
  • Foley: thank you Mick, for you keep on giving. Thank you for not requiring a win to come back, and for working with younger stars with all of your talent. How come Foley doesn't have his own development school anyway?
  • Ricardo Rodriguez: did a wonderful job in my opinion. Surprisingly good, really. Something worth teaching to Cole.
  • Santino Marella: still entertaining, and I still feel he must have p*ssed someone off badly because he deserves an opportunity: when he gets given 5 minutes, he makes the best of it... let's give them a bit more and have him develop that character into something new!
  • Jerry 'The King' Lawler: did great - should have lasted longer!
  • Booker T: solid job! There was some rust in his last few appearances in ring, but last night he seemed much more at ease - probably because he did not have to carry a whole match. Hopefully he can train and get the cardio back to where he needs it, or find ways to be in the ring for shorter runs. Gives a better show than others on the roster, so why not use him more often?
  • Michael Cole: unwatchable. Compare with Roberto Rodriguez to see all the things Cole simply cannot do. They start with "Getting the public engaged" and end with "doing anything worth watching"
  • Ezekiel Jackson: impressive, another talent that could be used better
  • Jinder Mahal: boring - becomes interesting only when the next participant gets in the ring
  • Great Khali: great work in the ring - want to see more of him, but use with care.
  • Jim Duggan: I got to wonder if the younger audience even knows Jim at this point.. I hope they do, and know his history. It was nice to see him in the ring, and that he didn't spend 40 minutes in it (I wish he could, but I suspect he could not keep the rhythm up for an extended period of time)
  • Kharma: yes - very much a plus, and a needed element for the divas universe. Just don't try and make her a stereotypical heel!
  • Road Dogg: Yes, another great plus! Why isn't Billy Gunn also working with him?
  • Jack Swagger: solid, solid work - needs to be praised for his work although I don't find him appealing at all. Needs creative help to be involved in something that matters, with a chance to break opponents
  • Otunga: gentlemen.. why are you paying for him to be on the roster? You are simply not doing anything with his time.. really, he went back to the court in his offtime, that must say something!
  • Barrett: No, I don't like him, but he's another talent that is being used in a very inefficient manner, in my opinion. You want to present him as a devastating force? Take your chance, put him in the ring among the first 5, and make him last till the last 4. Otherwise, make him a face, with a William Reagal in his corner, and give him a chance to some gold!
  • Jericho: wasted time. The end fo the world as we know it? Who was the girl in the videos? Chris has a lot of talent, but misdirected at this point: the wave from his return is quickly running out, and the rumor is he's going to a main event match at WM? Really? Why? How? Just because we like to hear him whine? No wait, he ahrdly speaks anymore so even that is out of the picture...
  • Sheamus: His win did surprise me. He's been working hard and deserves a push, but I don't see how it fits in the bigger picture of the Road to Wrestlemania. Also, who is Sheamus counterpoint? Need to find one quickly to keep us watching!

Submit "#RR12 Missed Opportunities" to Digg Submit "#RR12 Missed Opportunities" to del.icio.us Submit "#RR12 Missed Opportunities" to StumbleUpon Submit "#RR12 Missed Opportunities" to Google

Comments

I ALSO THOUGHT DB SLIPPED FROM THE GIANTS HANDS, CAUSE IT LOOKED LIKE THEY WERE DOING A SPOT TO SHOW THE GIANTS STRENGTH, AND THE FALL JUST SEEMED BAD TIMING AND AWKWARD BY THE LOOKS ON THERE FACES
    Very good and unique recap. I liked your assessment of each participant but I gotta say something about Jericho. Don't be too quick to judge his loss. We weren't going to find out the whole storyline in one night, even if he won. There's still two whole months for them to reveal what they're doing and build to Mania. Let them do it, it's not like Wrestlemania is tomorrow. I'm glad Sheamus won, he's been groomed for it ever since his face turn and he deserves it to be honest.
    I agree that Daniel Bryan's fall was a botch. Good break down. i don't agree with everyone you said, but good job.
    Good write up , if i can say a couple of things,
    Billy Gunn: burned serious bridges the "E" before he left so thats why he's not there.
    Big Zeke and Jinder Mahal: good potential but we all know WWE has nothing to do with them being un-pushed they just have no natural charisma.
    Cole and King: God bless the king, but he needs to stay out of big matches like this, and cole just needs to stay out!
    Kharma: awesome to have her back and she is so dominant now she and beth can get to feuding , as long as trish doesnt get involved.
    All in all the rumble was good but the think it was filler to set up the start of bigger things that we will see tonight. watch for stephanie , undertaker and a few others to come back now .
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    I agree that Daniel Bryan's fall was a botch. Good break down. i don't agree with everyone you said, but good job.
    Thank you! And, yes, of course: lots of personal opinions mixed in this post - I'd be surprised if we all agreed on everything eheh.
    Quote Originally Posted by magnussuperman
    Good write up , if i can say a couple of things,
    Billy Gunn: burned serious bridges the "E" before he left so thats why he's not there.
    Big Zeke and Jinder Mahal: good potential but we all know WWE has nothing to do with them being un-pushed they just have no natural charisma.
    Cole and King: God bless the king, but he needs to stay out of big matches like this, and cole just needs to stay out!
    Kharma: awesome to have her back and she is so dominant now she and beth can get to feuding , as long as trish doesnt get involved.
    All in all the rumble was good but the think it was filler to set up the start of bigger things that we will see tonight. watch for stephanie , undertaker and a few others to come back now .
    Yap: thanks for your comment and thoughts. Definitely RR is positioned as a book-end to the Road to WM, so I didn't expect it to be the culmination of much... Maybe a few stories could have been tied up better, to clean up the slate. They definitely did that with CMPunk and Johnny Ace, but for instance Kane and Cena are still engaged in their feud...
    Well, I think Last night's Raw helped out in turning the page and opening the Road to WM maybe more than the RR.. perhaps the two events were necessary together to do so.
    Thanks again for posting

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.