View RSS Feed

DK Wrestling Savior

The Bleak Future of the WWE

Rate this Entry
Hey Everyone. Busy week, plus not too much to write about. I logged on Tues morning and saw 17,000 blogs about a Monday Night Raw recap. So, despite the Cena poorly executed angry face into the camera which confirms his Royal Rumble victory over Kane w/ elements of Luke turning to the Darkside, it wasn't much of a build up to the Royal Rumble. I'm more looking forward to HHH's job eval on Johnny Ace.

With that said, I want to talk about the bleak future of the WWE. I gave this a lot of thought, and if you've read past blogs of mine, you know that I fully define the WWE based on the Big Seven. They are Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold, The Rock, The Undertaker, HHH, and John Cena. I never include Hulk Hogan in this because I feel Hulk Hogan transcends these Seven, into his own realm, never to be joined by another, EVER, as top Superstar. You also know that this is WWF/WWE based, so I don't include Sting and Ric Flair because their legacies are with NWA/WCW.

But what about after John Cena? I thought about this a lot and I've carefully tracked the direction that wrestling has gone. Not many people realize this but Bret Hart was only WWF World Champion 5 times, and Shawn Michaels was only WWF World Champion 4 times. The shame of it is, at this rate, Alberto Del Rio will probably surpass the combined total for them by the end of 2012.

But not to get off track, think about the Big Seven, well, my Big Seven. *I'm sure some idiot is going to try and make claims about Brock Lesnar or Randy Orton or Chris Jericho* What these Seven have done, was at one time or another, took the company on their back, either alone or collectively. Some may argue that The Rock, HHH and Undertaker never really did that on their own and if you feel that way, you're right. But there's no debating Bret Hart, HBK, Stone Cold, or Cena. And that's what lacks in today's wrestling. Who's the next one to hoist the WWE on their shoulders? So here are our choices.

Dolph Ziggler, Wade Barrett, The Miz, Cody Rhodes, Ted Dibiase, Sheamus, Zach Ryder, Alberto Del Rio.

Gee. I can't wait until the time comes when Wrestlemania features these guys in the main event. *understand the sarcasm*

Before all you Ziggler blowers get on my case about this, I want to say that this has nothing to do with athleticism or skill. The above mentioned guys are all good and have talent. But seriously, think to yourself. Are you, in any way, excited at all about the future of the WWE?

When you look at the new list, do you truly see a Bret Hart in there? How about a Shawn Michaels? Or a Stone Cold? Or John Cena?

Who's the next true STAR? The one who takes the company on his shoulders and soars?

I've always put the stars in tiers. Hogan, obviously, the top of the top. Next is the Big Seven. After that, you have your Eddie Guerreros, Chris Benoits, Chris Jerichos, Randy Ortons, Edge, Batista, Brock Lesnar...so on. And CM Punk will most likely reach this level. I don't think he will surpass it and reach the next. As for the present Eight? Please...don't make me laugh.

So, as for the future of the WWE, definitely bleak. Very, VERY Bleak. As always, I welcome your comments. If you disagree, great, let me hear it. But don't be an idiot and tell me that you see Dolph Ziggler becoming the next Hogan or anything like that. Please.

Submit "The Bleak Future of the WWE" to Digg Submit "The Bleak Future of the WWE" to del.icio.us Submit "The Bleak Future of the WWE" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Bleak Future of the WWE" to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    You know, when i first read the blog I was tempted to reply stating, "you're foolish, Ziggler, Barret, Miz, or Rhodes could be that guy" but the reality is, you have a point. When i think about who the next big thing, no pun intended, is going to be, who is going to pick up the business and run with it, nothing comes to mind. Think about this though. When John Cena debuted, did anyone see or expect him to become what he has? Not at all. It took time and development. To me, the point you make is true, but that is the thing, uncertainty is the WWE. Do we know who is headlining Summerslam? Do we know who will be the WWE and World champions going into Survivor Series? No. Just like the next big thing, there is that uncertainty. It comes down to waiting and watching, to see who rises above the others, and not just for a short period, but for the longevity, who shines. Good blog bro. Always enjoy reading your stuff
    Unfortunately i agree there is no-one to fill the shoes of any of those guys
    I see the point your making but I agree with Bearkg, I never look at someone like Steve Austin with his balding blonde hair being managed by Dibiase and thought, that guys gonna get pops as big as Hogan, nor did I think the same when whizz kid Cena almost beat Angle or Hunter Hurst Helmsley came wallowing down in his robes. I certainly didn't think ol blue trunks curly haired Rocky Maivia would amount to anything. All it will take is a good character actor and wrestler like punk or miz to be given the correct story and character and they will blow up in our faces big time.
    Nice blog! Very interesting points you have stated. Like you, I find it tough to see anybody being the next torch holder at the moment. But I do also agree with bearkg88. Sometimes it's the least expected person. Time will tell.
    Is too early to say any of these guys will never fit their shoes, there will be another Austin, Hit Man, HBK ??, of course not but one of them can become the future posterboy of the company, it even can be someone other than them!!
    I think the WWE suffers from "political correctness" . Why is Sheamus doing an anti-bully campaign? Wrestlers cant do the beer chugging aka Stone Cold. They cant bully anyone like a true heel. They cant even use the weapons that wrestling became so noted for in many great matches.We may never see another R rated superstar do the things Edge did on TV. We will never see another Aydrian Adonis type wrestler. Even Mick Foley has become politically correct. How can a wrestler achieve superstardom if their character has to always worry about offending someone. The recent Kane storyline draws people back to wrestling because he is a truely evil character and seeing John Cena get angry is a good move by the WWE, but the rest are PC but with great potential
    you should be in the business to bring something new to the table not replicate a former legend's career you have a point but I am very excited to see what everybody in your new list except alberto del rio has to show to us. especially cody rhodes, dolph ziggler & wade barrett
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.