View RSS Feed

RatedATB

Raw Reaction - 1/23/12

Rate this Entry
What's poppin folks, RatedATB back at it! Another week has passed and another Raw is upon us. Last week’s show was pretty enjoyable, but will this week hold up? I won’t waste any more time, so without further ado...

Opening Segment -
Pretty good promo work from all involved. I’m definitely getting along with Cena’s serious character and I think it adds a good element to the show. Punk/Laurinaitis gets better each and every week and I like the turn Laurinaitis’s character has taken. Before he was acting like a tweener but now he’s just a blatant heel and aside from his crappy promo skills he does well at it. I like the evil boss character but I’m definitely glad it’s not Vince again and Johnny Ace does well with it.

Match #1 – Cena/Punk vs. ZigSwag
Weird match to start the show off with but it was a really good match; not surprised considering the talent in the ring. Ziggler’s looking like a million bucks each and every week, and he’s GOING to be champion this year. Mark my words. I actually really liked the ending, it grows the animosity between Punk/Laurinaitis and I’m actually finding myself wanting to see Punk beat the tar out of Johnny Ace. Another note I’d like to add is how I think Swagger is being overlooked. He does fantastic almost every week; I’ve seen him put on great matches with Cena, Sheamus, Punk, etc. and I really think he doesn’t get the credit he deserves. I definitely think he needs a character change, and maybe even new ring attire, but I can’t wait for him to actually be something in this company, and the U.S. championship is a great start to rebuilding his character. 3/5 for the match, it was definitely not a bad way to start the show.

Highlight Reel –
He speaks! At first I was VERY anti-this storyline, but each week it grabbed and grabbed my interest and now I can honestly say I’m enjoying every bit of it. This week we finally saw a hint of heel in Y2J and it’s pretty plain to see who’s winning the Rumble; which I’m fine with don’t get me wrong, he definitely deserves a Rumble win in his career. I just hope we get a few more answers this Sunday such as who “she,” is if anyone, and what EXACTLY Jericho is doing, although I think we all can assume it’s to beat Punk at WM28. I guess we’ll have to wait and see until this Sunday and **shameless plug time** find out in my Royal Rumble Review! (don’t hate )

Match #2 – Falls Count Anywhere: Kane vs. Zack Ryder
This went on far too long and the aftermath took even longer. It developed the story and wasn’t bad to watch, but the match itself could’ve ended 5 minutes earlier than it did and I would’ve liked if the aftermath had ended a few minutes earlier than it did. The spot was cool to watch but the match was barely a 2/5, only getting the two for the end and story development which IS going nicely.

Match #3 – Sheamus vs. Jinder Mahal
Not much can be said about this honestly. Another dominating win for Sheamus and one has to wonder where he goes from here. It’s plain that my assumptions were false and he won’t be winning the Rumble, so where does a guy like Sheamus fit in for Mania? 1/5 for the match, it was also good to hear Barrett speak, even if for only a few minutes.

Match #4 – Brodus Clay vs. Heath Slater
Regal on the announce team is something I can get along with every week. Again, nothing to really speak about, typical squash match, and I’m curious to see where Clay ends up himself after the Rumble. I’m really hoping Clay can be the next Umaga. If anyone remembers Umaga had some really good matches for his size and I always looked forward to an Umaga match. I for one am hoping that’s what Clay ends up doing but that’s up to him and WWE. Dud rating, release Slater already.

Match #5 – Miz vs. R-Truth
I’m really surprised that these two are fighting now and they’re giving this away on free tv. I think if they build the two up over the next few months that they can have a good, well-built match at Wrestlemania which I honestly believe could be really good. I was kind of right too, this was good but it was hurt by things it wouldn’t be on a ppv, most notably Wrestlemania. There was a lot of back and forth action, good counters, some near falls, and it was a pretty good match. 3/5, I had no complaints other than it being short and used too soon and on TV.

Match #6 – CM Punk vs. John Laurinaitis
We all knew the match wouldn’t happen, and what actually happened was a lot better than what we would have gotten. Two weeks in a row we get some great stuff between Punk/Laurinaitis and it keeps on getting better and better. The crowd was sooooo behind Punk and produced a huge pop when he did the GTS. It wasn’t Austin/McMahon but it was without a doubt very entertaining to watch. I almost hope they don’t get rid of the Laurinaitis character next week because he’s finally producing some exciting moments each and every week, but we’ll just have to wait and see wont we?

Show Highs-
Opening Segment/Match
Kane choke slamming Ryder
Miz/Truth
Closing Segment

Show Lows-
Jobber matches
Taking too much time with Ryder/Kane
Lack of matches featuring the likes of Kofi, Tag Champs, Rhodes, etc.

Final Thoughts -
So there it is, another week of Raw and it was actually really good. You may have noticed that there were more highs than lows this week and that’s a great sign. The closing segment was a great way to lead us into the Rumble and Ziggler coming out and attacking Punk was a good way to edge him back into this feud. As for the rest of the show, again I thoroughly enjoyed it and while there were some faults, it was still an entertaining show and now I’m excited for the Rumble, which I will be ordering. 7/10 for the show, can’t go wrong with strong segments, good wrestling, and a few other good moments thrown in. I’ll see you this weekend with my Rumble Review (another one! Who am I Foley?), so until then it’s been real, it’s been fun, but it hasn’t been real fun. Deuces!

Submit "Raw Reaction - 1/23/12" to Digg Submit "Raw Reaction - 1/23/12" to del.icio.us Submit "Raw Reaction - 1/23/12" to StumbleUpon Submit "Raw Reaction - 1/23/12" to Google

Comments

Good blog Bro. I agree with a lot of your points.
    good review. in ireland raw starts here at 2am, so staying up til 4 would have been a toght task, and after being bored mercilessly by the kane-ryder segment I completely ko'd when i saw jinder mahal in the ring. ill catch up with the rest now, good to hear some of it was good. loved the jericho stuff btw
    Like the blog, but last weeks RAW kicked this ones ass out of the ball park.
    Good show but they left out some information that are Royal Rumble facts but I know they have their reasons. WWE mentioned that only 1 superstar has been the #1 entry and won it, Shawn Michaels, but Chris Benoit did it in 2007 I believe. I don't agree with what Benoit did to himself and especially to his wife and child, but they should acknowledge to some degree his wrestling skills, because I know one thing, Benoit was the best in the business. I know i'm gonna get some heat on this, but this is just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbenavides777
    Good show but they left out some information that are Royal Rumble facts but I know they have their reasons. WWE mentioned that only 1 superstar has been the #1 entry and won it, Shawn Michaels, but Chris Benoit did it in 2007 I believe. I don't agree with what Benoit did to himself and especially to his wife and child, but they should acknowledge to some degree his wrestling skills, because I know one thing, Benoit was the best in the business. I know i'm gonna get some heat on this, but this is just my opinion.
    Not to be the guy that has to correct everyone but they said "the same number of people have won it at number 1 that have won it at number 30" Cena and Taker being number 30, HBK and Benoit being number 1. So technically they did acknowledge it, they just didn't come out and say Benoit....also it was 04 but that's beside the point lol
    Cena was bland while CM Punk was not in the opening segment; however the impromptu tag match was nice and it was a perfect sensible matchup with Punk and Cena having separate issues with each opponent. At least Jericho spoke this time, but other than winning the Royal Rumble match, he really has nothing left to accomplish. Kane vs. Zack Ryder was a good idea to get Cena angry. I'm confused about Sheamus' direction because his feuds go back and forth between Wade and Jinder. Sheamus & Wade should not have had a single match vs. each other until they can start an uninterrrupted feud. Sheamus and Wade already had a tables match; they can't go much further unless they have a cage match and end the feud. Why go backwards to status quo matches now? I still enjoy Brodus. He wore a different color costume this time. He's gotta be careful though not to dance the same in the ring each time. Also, soon they will run out of fresh opponents for him soon. I was hoping Miz vs. R-Truth could have waited til wrestlemania but fans probably woulda gotten impatient. Employee vs. Boss can be repeated as much as possible.....it will never equal Austin vs. McMahon. HHH vs. McMahon was not as big a hit, neither was HBK vs. McMahon.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.