View RSS Feed

Rick Starr

The Splash: Top 5 Winners for The Royal Rumble

Rate this Entry

What’s Up Splashers? The Rumble is less than 24 hours away and I had to pop in from my hiatus and give you my thoughts. I just want to let you all know right off the rip this is NOT a prediction Top 5. These are the Top 5 wrestlers who I think SHOULD win the Royal Rumble tomorrow night. With that in mind let’s get on with the Top 5!
Top 5 Rumble winners

5. Chris Jericho
Ok for shits and giggles I will consider Jericho could win the Rumble. But despite everything he has done in his wrestling career, I don’t want him to come right back, only to win one of the biggest PPV’s. Other people disagree with me, and that’s just fine. However too many other wrestlers have busted their ass all year long, while the “Best in the World” was away singing and dancing.

Yes I know the biggest rumor is that he is going to win the Rumble and go face Punk at WrestleMania. However, I just don’t see that happening. The WWE knows this is the biggest rumor, so I am just waiting for the big swerve to happen. I’ll talk more about Jericho later in the Splash.

4. Sheamus
This former two time champion definitely has what it takes to win the Rumble, and go onto headline WrestleMania. But do I think he’s ready to do it this year? That one I’m not 100% sure on. He has gotten an incredible push these past few months, and has clearly gotten over with the fans as a heel. Now that he has gotten over as both a heel and a face, I would like to see him keep his current character for at least another 6-9 months, and see if he can get over as a heel again.

Don’t get me wrong I think Sheamus, has the “It Factor” to go far in the industry. And if Sheamus won the rumble I wouldn’t be disappointed.

3. Wade Barrett

Whether you like him or hate him, Wade Barrett has done quite a bit in a rather small time. He started by winning NXT, then he led Nexus. Many agree that in the beginning, The Nexus storylines was some of the best RAW TV during that time. But the taste quickly got sour in many people’s mouth.

He then went on to lead the Corre, until he finally decided to go solo, and create “The Barrett Barrage” campaign. Since he has started this campaign Barrett has been seemingly unstoppable. Barrett has been in a huge war with “The Viper” Randy Orton, and for the most part has come out on top. Barrett has also recently defeated Sheamus.

Again Barrett could easily win this Rumble, but for me, I would still like to see him win the title another way…Perhaps at Elimination Chamber, or Money in the Bank at WrestleMania 28? I have no doubt he has Championship blood in him. I just don’t think the Rumble has his number this year.

2. Dolph Ziggler
Let me say right off the bat, there has not been a harder worker this past year than Dolph Ziggler. He’s been at live events, RAW, SmackDown, and worked double shift at several PPV’s. If I he was not involved in the main event match at the Royal Rumble for the WWE Title against C.M. Punk, he would be my #1 choice to win the Rumble. A lot of people assume the WWE is going to keep the title around Punk’s waist so he can feud with Jericho. I for one just don’t want to see that happen. I would prefer Ziggler take the title from Punk, and have Jericho move in another direction.

1. Cody Rhodes
Here’s another work horse that has been on a major winning streak as of late. Rhodes as proclaimed that he will win the Rumble and go on to headline, and win WrestleMania. He claims that he will be the second person to ever hold the I.C. Title and the World Title at the same time. The Ultimate Warrior did it when he defeated Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania 6, however The Warrior did not win the Rumble back in 1990.

There is no question that Cody is ready for the title, let alone to headline WrestleMania. However there is one thing that continues to nab at me: Should he go in as a heel or a face? A lot of blogs and forums have been talking about this very subject, and it’s not something that should be easily passed over. I think Rhodes has been doing great as a heel, but hasn’t got that backing that Randy Orton did when he did his last heel run. So I don’t think Rhodes is ready to make the switch just yet. Making a switch, when the fans are not backing you %110, can be a crucial mistake at this point of his career.

Final thoughts:
With the exception of Jericho, I would not be disappointed if any of these guys won the Royal Rumble. They have all worked hard and been proving to us and themselves that they are ready to move on to the next stage of their careers. I know I’ve done a lot of marking out on this Splash, but let’s face it, The Road to WrestleMania is quickly coming, and that’s when we all start to mark out a bit I think. We all want our favorite to win the Rumble, and headline WrestleMania. Truth is, we all can’t have our way. Until next time Splashers….See you when I see you!
-Rick Starr @RickStarr

Submit "The Splash: Top 5 Winners for The Royal Rumble" to Digg Submit "The Splash: Top 5 Winners for The Royal Rumble" to del.icio.us Submit "The Splash: Top 5 Winners for The Royal Rumble" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Splash: Top 5 Winners for The Royal Rumble" to Google

Updated 01-29-2012 at 04:04 PM by Rick Starr

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I count only 4 superstars :s
    Joonny, there is 5, #3 is Barrett, Rick Starr just didn't make him bold. Anyways, good blog bro. I can see your point about Jericho. I am one of those ones who would like to see him win it, but I get your point. The other 4 stars you named have been there all year round putting on stellar matches for us, so why does someone who was gone for the last year deserve it. I think they can still have Punk v Jericho without Jericho winning the Rumble, so I too will be looking for some big swerve tonight. As to your comment about Rhodes, I agree and think that he is ready, but in my opinion, he should, whenever he does get his first title reign, do it as a heel. Good blog bro as always
    Mark my words Drew McIntyre Will win the Royal Rumble tonight.
    did triple H not hold the I.C and world title at the same time.
    Meh.... Ziggler or Barrett would be great, preferrably Ziggler winning the WWE title then RR

But Sheamus is the other one who deserves a crack again.
    Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie17
    did triple H not hold the I.C and world title at the same time.
    Yes he did. I myself did not remember that, good call. I forgot about Kane vs Triple H at No Mercy 2002. Regardless That is the angle WWE is heading for with Rhodes. How he get's there, has remained to be seen.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.