View RSS Feed

JSullivan

WWE - Strength in Numbers.

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Hello all, This is my first blog on the website.

For a little bit of Background info on myself, I used to run a Wrestling news website when I was 11 years old, a guy called Peter Staniforth used to submit his interviews to me to host in an effort to promote himself and my website too. A result of this was me getting into contact with Shark Boy, Doug Williams and many more...The beginning of a short journey, which came due to my inability to access the internet for a couple of years.

Fast foward 10 Years, and Here I am, starting a new adventure: Blogging.
I currently write books, well, I attempt to, so in my times where I cannot bring myself to type anymore, I'll fight fire with fire, and write my frustrations out to all of you guys (and girls).

Anyway, let's get started, shall we?

One of my biggest issues with the WWE as of current is the lack of power in stables and Tag-Teams. I am well aware that the WWE is attempting to push the Tag division, but let's just analyse some of the recent Tag team and Stable history, and see what comes up!

1. Tag teams have no structure and Lack credibility.

Now, it goes without saying that without making new Tag teams, they can't gain experience, and this would at first glance, seem like a vicious cycle. You would however be wrong to say that the product they are putting together at this time is the correct way to do so.

Let's use Air-Boom as an example, one of the biggest Tag partnerships in the WWE today...So far, their competition is slim pickings, there aren't many serious tag teams in there, which is again, creating a vicious cycle; Simply pairing two baby-faces won't solve this either.

To combat this, they need to work on building the foundations for it, and Nexus almost did just that: But to no suprise, because like most things WWE does well, it washes it away by making against the odds heroics prevail over common sense...Using your star athlete and making him be bound like a spitfire by the words "Always outnumbered, never outgunned" is a sure fire way to ruin something that is working well.

One more fundamental flaw with Tag teams/Stables is their lack of credibility. Remember the Road Warriors? Two Powerhouses, who had combinations to die for. Remember nWo and DX? Both caused pure havoc in their own rights. Remember the Minsitry/Corporation/Corporate minsitry? They all used their overwhelming numbers and influence through their main stars to dominate and intimidate all who opposed them.

Even shortlived partnerships such as The Rock and Sock connection had more credibility, because both members had such respect from the fans.

I'm trying to avoid going off on a tangent here, but I think you see the point i'm making.

Tag teams need to be forged through a good storyline, not simply pencilled in one day and hope that they do well, they need a good background, a good structure and a reason for being partners, which brings me onto my next point...

2. There aren't any gimmicks!!!

Some of the greatest Tag-Teams and Stables of recent years have all had gimmicks! Edge and Christian, The Hardy Boyz, The Dudleys, The Road Warriors, Haas and Benjamin (That's right, I said it), Undertaker and Kane, The Hart Foundation, DX, nWo, Ministry, Corporation, Too Much/Too cool, Kaientai, The Headbangers, The Guerreros...The list goes on.

I feel that having these gimmicks makes it easier to write engaging storlyines and definitely builds on the credibility of partnerships, not to mention it makes them much more fun to watch!

3. The Brand divide.

Everyone who knows anything about the WWE in recent years understands the reason for the Brand extensions, however, It seems to have done more harm than good, and this isn't just applicable to Tag Teams and Stables, this applies to so much more: Divas, Singles comeptitors. The reality is, by stopping superstars engaging eachother because they are on seperate brands, they limited their chances to pushing storylines. By having single brand PPV's, they limited who you could watch on any given night. By seperating the brands, they diluted the value of the Championships and furthermore, flushed potential Feuds down the toilet.

Having two sets of Tag Titles defeats the point in having tag titles - How can you be the joint best tag team in the WWE? Nonsense.

Whislt they have now unified the titles, and it is a step forward, they've left no power in the Tag division to contest those titles, and so the prestige of them has been nullified.

4. The Solution.

It's no Secret that the WWE needs an overhaul in the creative department, we've been seeing piss-poor storylines for far too long, so the first step would be to make some heads roll.

Another step would be to poach some Tag-Teams from other promotions, I realise they have been spending a lot of time looking at Mexican Promotions, however they should be looking at Japan/Britain, and start working on picking off some talent from more local promotions such as ROH and TNA - Beer money should've been obvious, the Young Bucks was a shame and the list goes on.

Then we have some more grass-roots work, Developmental needs more Tag-Teams coming in from the start, and we need to see more developmental wrestlers beating big-guns - rather than simply being fodder to try and propell the bigger stars even further.
Remember Brock lesnar's breaking onto the scene? Sure, he was a HUGE guy, which gave him intimidation from the start, but do you remember him tearing the ring apart? I do. You know why lesnar was such a success with the crowd (Apart from his size)? Because bigger stars were jobbing to him (albeit one or two who wouldn't, and certainly weren't quiet about it either), and this made him credible, this made him intimidating, and this made him a sure fire way to sell merch and to create a foundation to becoming a superstar who's image is burnt into our eyes, because I don't know a single person who doesn't get excited at the thought of his return.

The End.

I'll leave my blog at that, I know you guys will have something to say, so go ahead and say it, i'm all for constructive criticism, and all for a debate.

I'll happily hold my hands up and say I'm not always right, I'm not always happy to be corrected, but I'll know when I'm wrong deep down.

These opinions are just my own, just my tread of thought, and could quite possibly be flawed and/or biased in many ways, but I can only put onto this page what I have seen in my experience as a wrestling fan for 18 years, and a devout one for 10.

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed it, and I look forward to venting to you guys again in future

-Peace-

Submit "WWE - Strength in Numbers." to Digg Submit "WWE - Strength in Numbers." to del.icio.us Submit "WWE - Strength in Numbers." to StumbleUpon Submit "WWE - Strength in Numbers." to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good first blog chief! Nicely structured and easy to follow.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the 'Creative' front, however, we will never have much joy on that front for the foreseeable, simply because one head (the top head) won't roll; one Stephanie McMahon Levesque!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979
    Good first blog chief! Nicely structured and easy to follow.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the 'Creative' front, however, we will never have much joy on that front for the foreseeable, simply because one head (the top head) won't roll; one Stephanie McMahon Levesque!
    Thanks, I'll try and keep it up!

And yeah, you would think the daughter of a McMahon would have the McMahon attitude with a 'bitchy' streak in her!

It's a shame Shane never took the Reigns
    Quote Originally Posted by JSullivan
    Thanks, I'll try and keep it up!

And yeah, you would think the daughter of a McMahon would have the McMahon attitude with a 'bitchy' streak in her!

It's a shame Shane never took the Reigns
    Absolutely, I could imagine Shane O'Mac could have been great! Don't blame him for striking out on his own though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Barrett 1979
    Absolutely, I could imagine Shane O'Mac could have been great! Don't blame him for striking out on his own though!

Absolutely.

That said, given the drivel we are served most weeks, I don't think he could've made much of the current product, and irrespective of whenever McMahon steps down (Legit), he'll still oversee things until the day he dies (Legit).
    I agree that WWE needs to be more creative as a whole but I don't always blame the writers as I once read an interview where he said "I know people think that we have loads of writers that spoil the storylines but that's not true, at the end of the day we have one writer and thats Vince McMahon, every story we write goes through him and it eventually gets a Mcmahon re-write on the night of Raw"

I think Vince needs to finally admit that his ideas are old fashioned and un-passionate. They need to stop hiring soap writers and start hiring fans who care about the product.

I also feel the WWE as a company isn't overly bothered about their core product anymore. Last Year I watched a video on WWE Corporate website where they talked about their plans as a company over the next year...they barely mentioned their core product, they seem to want to move away from their core product and become a global company in every other marked outside of wrestling.

It's a shame really but until they start loving the product they are delivering I fear WWE will not be making any great leaps forward.
    Nice blog, I enjoyed it very much.
    I really think people on here over estimate how much of what is on TV is the work of creative. You also said that heads should roll but there's a constant change in writers all the time. If you really want to understand how wrestling behind the scenes works rather than just reading websites like this for knowledge you should listen to the IWantWrestling podcast done by Dave Lagana, current TNA writer, who worked as the head writer for Smackdown for 5 years.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.