View RSS Feed

Rick Starr

The Top 5 Names Who Should Be in the WWE Hall of Fame

Rate this Entry

Hey Splashers, I hope you’re in for a long one! I was supposed to be entered into WrestlingFan’s infamous Blog Wars. However due to a last minute arrangements, I could not make it into this edition. I did like the Top 5 that the Blog Wars was covering, which is the Hall of Fame Entrees. I also just talked about the controversy about the Horsemen, and their entry into the WWE Hall of Fame. So a Top 5 of who I would like to see into the Hall of Fame would seem appropriate. Well enough small talk, let’s get splashin’!

The Top 5 Names Who Should Be in the WWE Hall of Fame

To start things off, let me say that I would not go after people like Triple H, or Undertaker. Why? Because they are still are on the active roster. Don’t get me wrong, they most certainly deserve to be inducted one day, but not as long as they are on an active roster somewhere. Edge and the Horsemen are already inducted, so they are already disqualified from this list. So who would I put on that list? I would induct people who are either no longer with us, or are no longer in the immediate wrestling picture.

5. P.S. Michael Hayes
There was some debate that Hayes was in the Four Horsemen, for a very small time. Nonetheless, he did not get recognized for being in the group. Hayes was more famous for leading the group, the Fabulous Freebirds. Hayes created the famous group back in 1977. Throughout the years, Hayes and his stable were known for being both a rock band gimmick, as they would strut to the ring. They even created their own music video “Bad Street”. Hayes had won several titles, including the NWA World title, which was a big deal in its time. Hayes and the Freebirds also feuded with the VonErich’s who were big in the late 70’s to mid 80’s.

Then in 1995 Hayes retired early due to a back injury, while he was in WCW. He eventually signed with the WWF, under the name “Dok Hendrix”. It was then where he was the back stage interviewer, and would eventually do some color commentary. Over the next few years Hayes would be in some angles in the WWF/WWE, but would eventually head to the back to become one of the main Storywriters for SmackDown, but again has moved down in rank for some reason. Hayes was at the ceremonies two years ago, but he himself, was not inducted. I think it’s time that he is.

4. “Ravishing” Rick Rude
Ravishing Rick Rude was one of the more infamous Intercontinental Champions of his time. Almost every night, Rude would prance to the ring, and tell everyone to “shut-up” so he could show off his body. After defeating his opponent, he would pick a woman out of the crowd and give her a good night kiss. Obviously, she was planted, but it was still entertaining TV...for awhile. In 1987 he defeated the Ultimate Warrior, (With some help if Bobby Heenan.) at the Royal Rumble back in 1989. However despite not winning the WWF Title while he was with the company, his glory for the gold was achieved elsewhere.

He made his first arrival in WCW around 1991. After two years of proving himself, Rude defeated Ric Flair for the NWA World Title in 1993. While Rude was still champion, the WCW lost the rights to the NWA Championship Title, so the company renamed the Title: WCW International World Heavyweight Championship in 1994. Rude dropped the title, in an over-seas match against Hiroshi Hase, but quickly regained it one week later. Only to bounce the title off of Sting for a month’s time, to become a three time World Champion.

Rude is also not a man without controversy. Back in 1997 He was on both WWF Raw and WCW Nitro on the same night, when the companies were bitter rivals. To no one’s surprise he was also a part two of the biggest factions: DX, for the WWE, and The NWO for WCW. His second run in the WCW was not as great as his first. In 1999 he was getting ready for a title run, when he suddenly passed away due to heart failure, at the age of 40. There were reports that Rude had overdosed in several painkillers.

In short, I think Rick Rude was a great entertainer in his time. While he may not have outshined most of his peers, Rick Rude was most certainly a spectacle in his own right. It was sad to see him go so early. Not only was Rude a legend, he should be a Hall of Famer.

3. Paul Heyman
Paul Heyman is better known for starting the legendary wrestling company Extreme Championship Wrestling. A wrestling organization that defined what hardcore wrestling really was. ECW was the company that made it out of the high school gyms, but sadly just didn’t make it. After finally getting on television with TNN for some time, it looked as if Heyman had finally made it. However TNN had no plans on giving Heyman another contract, because they had made a deal with the WWE, and in 2001 ECW sold to the WWE. It was also the same year that WCW sold out to the WWE. The WWE had finally won the Monday Night Wars.

But Heyman’s career was not done just yet. Before the WWE re-created ECW as a brand under its banner, Heyman created an ECW Stable as an “Invasion” angle during the WWE/WCW merger. It was great time in wrestling

Heyman continued on by managing former World Champion, Brock Lesnar, and had a short run as the General Manager of SmackDown in 2003. However his heart was always with ECW as he went back to manage some of the ECW Originals, like the Dudley Boys. In 2005, ECW came alive once again, with the PPV: “One Night Stand”, where it sparked WWE to create a version of its own brand, on Tuesday nights. Yet the water-down version of the show, just never made it with the hard core fans.

Heyman left in 2006, after having several disagreements with Vince McMahon about how ECW was managed. Despite all of his frustrations or bitterness he may have with the company, I still think that Paul Heyman definitely should be entered in the WWE Hall of Fame. If you ask me, I would like to see an ECW themed Hall of Fame induction on year. Because of this long blog, I wrote just the names below of who I think that ECW HoF Theme I would like to see. (Heyman included obviously.)

2. “Macho Man” Randy Savage: A Special Tribute to “The Madness”

Macho Man wall-paper01
Macho Man wallpaper02
Looking back into the 80’s some of the most inspirational wrestlers came out of that era. One of those wrestlers was “The Macho Man” Randy Savage. Savage was a “complete package” wrestler. He was great on the mic, he was excellent in the ring, and that flying elbow, was devastating!

Although Savage was wrestling throughout the early 70’s, he did not debut in the WWE until 1985. That’s when his career really started to shine. He had won several titles, and had some legendary feuds with some of the biggest names in wrestling, such as Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, and Ricky Steamboat. It was at WrestleMania 3, where many people agree that Savage and Steamboat stole the show, and had one of the best matches on the card that night.

Over the years in the WWF, Savage had played many roles. He was Hogan’s Partner as the infamous “Mega-Powers”, until several months later Savage became jealous and turned on Hogan. At the time Savage was the Current WWF Champion, and he went on to face Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania V. Savage lost the title after holding the title just shy over a year.

Despite the big loss, Savage picked himself up, and moved forward. He then conquered the King of the Ring, where he became “The Macho King”. I thought this was one of the most ruthless times I would ever see him in his career, as he attacked several of his opponents with his glass scepter. However after several years of commentating for the WWE and WCW, Savage took his Ruthlessness to new heights as he joined the New World Order back in 1997.

After making a quick pit stop in TNA, Savage retired due to health reasons in early 1995. However Savage’s talents were not just as a wrestler. Savage played “Bonesaw McGraw” in the hit movie: Spiderman. Surprisingly enough, The Macho Man was even a rapper! I personally don’t think it was his highest point in his career, but he did it. But his most famous moments outside his wrestling career has to be as the spokes person for Slim Jim.

Macho Man Randy Savage was truly a character both in and out of the ring. Sadly he was taken from us last year, when he suffered a major heart attack, while he was driving with his wife. He was 58. With all of the accolades and great moments that Savage has left behind, there is NO REASON why he should not be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. If the WWE has ANY Class, he will be in the Hall of Fame THIS year!

1.Vince McMahon
If there is anybody who should not be inducted by now, it’s Vince. Ok He’s still technically on the active roster, but I don’t see him strutting out here week in, and week out. As to why he should be entered into the WWE Hall of Fame, well if you’re a wrestling fan, and asking that question, you have no right to call yourself a wrestling fan.

The Chairman of World Wrestling Entertainment has literally done it all in wrestling. From building the largest wrestling empire in the world, to commentating, to wrestling himself, there was nothing Vince McMahon could not do! Any inspired blog writer could write about what this man has done, but the hour is long, and it’s time to end this one.

My ECW Theme Hall of Fame:
5. The Sandman
4. Tommy Dreamer
3. Jerry Lynn
2. Sabu
1. Joey. Styles

Well that’s it for tonight Splashers. I hope this one wasn’t too long for you. Until next time…See you when I see you.
–RickStar @RickStarr
Attached Thumbnails Attached Images

Submit "The Top 5 Names Who Should Be in the WWE Hall of Fame" to Digg Submit "The Top 5 Names Who Should Be in the WWE Hall of Fame" to del.icio.us Submit "The Top 5 Names Who Should Be in the WWE Hall of Fame" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Top 5 Names Who Should Be in the WWE Hall of Fame" to Google

Updated 01-15-2012 at 09:27 PM by Rick Starr

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mick Foley should go in the next time Mania is in the east (such as New York for example). What would be perfect, is if he was inducted in Philly.
    @RickStarr those are your personal picks, and that's why your apart of the IWC and this website. You write great stuff man.
    (On A Side Note) I think Scott Hall blew his chances after the Indy show incident last summer. If the nWo ever get in, then that's Razor's ticket. But other than that it's doubtful.
    Rick Rude beat Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania 5 Rick. I'd love to see any of those guys in the HOF. I wouldn't mind seeing the Fabulous Freebirds inducted as group either. It won't happen this year but if they're in the Texas area in the next few years for Mania then we'll probably see Hayes or the group inducted then.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.