View RSS Feed

Rated_R(ob)KO

STATE OF THE 'E: Was 2011 One Of The WWE's Best Years?

Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Welcome to another edition of STATE OF THE 'E in blog form. I'm anticipating writing this one because I'm sure many people will disagree and say that 2011 was one of the worst years. I digress but, I normally do in this situation. I'm not going to number reasons why I believe 2011 was one of the best years, I'm just going to write and see where it takes me. Hopefully you read and you throw some thoughts and opinions below. Here goes!

THE IWC WON THE MOST:
Yes, we the complaining, whining and small portion of the wrestling world won out the best with ANYTHING this year. They catered to us more than any fan in the entire industry. They laxed some rules, changed some things, moved things around, pushed people we wanted, everything. We got it all.

THE SURPRISE RETURNS:
2011 Was heavy with the surprises when it came to returns. Whether it was for one night or for a few appearances. Kevin Nash, Booker T., The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Trish Stratus, Kane, Big Show, Lita, Christian, Rey Mysterio, JBL, VKM, Road Dogg and the list continues. There were a lot of great moments when these people came back and nothing can be taken away from that.

THE WWE NETWORK BEING ANNOUNCED:
We all knew it was coming but the announcement to me was a kick ass way to do it. They combined current pop culture with an interesting underground movement. Dubstep is quickly on the rise and with people like KoRn dedicating a whole album to it and with THE 'E advertising it, no doubt Dubstep will break huge in 2012 and they were in the forefront with it.

Much like the rest of the network will be. I understand were getting tired of Twitter this and Facebook that but simply put, that's where this world is going. We all have ADD and can't sit still long enough to fully appreciate things just being on a screen. Everything has a ticker at the bottom now, even at the top. Everything is moving rapidly, HD is making things brighter... it is what it is.

But on the network front, there will be fully interactive shows, new shows, old shows and a 24/7 news feed on keeping up with the stars. I'm looking forward to the network although they're going to make my eyes bleed with everything going on on screen.

IN RING ACTION:
Despite what many may try to claim, the in ring work of the Superstars was heads and tails above what it was the last couple years. Granted, the Divas division was still slack ass but other than that with the rise of Ziggler, Rhodes, and hell even Morrison for a time, the matches on RAW and SMACKDOWN! have been better than in recent years.

Not to mention a ton of amazing matches happened on Superstars this year as well. A lot of my MOTY candidates came from them and that's not normal. They've become a "flash" company in a lot of ways but they're also bringing substance as well. Which is something they've lacked in recent years.

DESERVING CHAMPIONS:
I believe that 2011 had many people as deserving Champions. Edge, Christian, Randy Orton, Mark Henry, Big Show, Daniel Bryan, The Miz, CM Punk, Alberto Del Rio... I don't count John Cena because he's the default Champ no matter what. A lot of people deserved their runs in 2011 and not to mention people like Cody Rhodes and Dolph Ziggler maintain their Championships for such a long period of time. And even Ryder winning it at the end of the year.

All of these guys really stepped it up a ton in 2011 and it really showed. Their in ring work improved a ton and their charisma improved as well. All of these guys stood out above everyone else yes, including The almighty Rock.

ALL AROUND SURPRISES:
No one.. I mean... NO ONE could tell you with a straight face that on July 17th, 2011 CM Punk would literally walk out of the company with the WWE Championship. No one. And no one could tell you that many kayfabe walls would be tore down this year as well. The lines blurred drastically and we're still trying to figure out if it's a good or bad thing.

But one thing is for certain, in a world of internet gossip and craziness, THE 'E really tested the waters in 2011 when it came to trusting the IWC and their judgment. They wanted all of this change, and they got it. Then, they bitched and got more and more... but no matter what, they weren't happy. Literally everything the IWC wanted in 2011 came to fruition... they apparently don't realize it though. From all of the returns, to the great matches, to the Tag-Teams to everything being "reality" based... the IWC wanted it.

Why aren't you happy now?

As always, leave comments, questions, suggestions and death threats in the space provided below. See you guys again soon when I delve into another awesome topic.

See Ya' Space Cowboy...

Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: Was 2011 One Of The WWE's Best Years?" to Digg Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: Was 2011 One Of The WWE's Best Years?" to del.icio.us Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: Was 2011 One Of The WWE's Best Years?" to StumbleUpon Submit "STATE OF THE 'E: Was 2011 One Of The WWE's Best Years?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Great read Rob, as ever!

Compared to other more recent years, 2011 was definitely a step in the right direction! It's impossible to keep everyone happy! No doubt there will be plenty who will be disagreeing here but that has to be expected!

If WWE could please everyone, it'd be the richest company in the world!
    everything but everything else was good.
    This blog, Rob, molested my brain. I visit this site almost every day, patiently waiting for the newest edition of SOTE because it's a great read every time. Seems you work best when you're improvising, probably because the words just flow as you create them.

You're absolutely right, we are never happy. I loved the cryptic promos that were the doing of Jericho, but I hate what they've done with his return. See?

Most of us appreciate how clever it is what they're doing; teasing us to the point that it's just frickin' annoying! But I can't, because of how annoying it is.

Thanks again for the blog.
    I hope that everyone that visits this site reads this blog. I still rarely watch the product, yet keep up on whats happening. I bitched and pissed and moaned when Punk came back 8 days later or whatever but never really said "at least it happened to begin with and gave me that one reason to tune in". We are a foul breed Mr KO. A foul breed indeed. We absolutely got a lot of what we wanted this year.
    Excellent blog. Hands down one of the best i've read in a while
    It was a good year for starting to push new guys such as CM Punk and Dolph Ziggler and Cody Rhodes and Wade Barrett and Christian and others. Especially Zack Ryder. Zack was the right choice for the push to U.S. title. Vince preferred Mason Ryan and John Morrison for the U.S. title but JoMo was losing his MoJo and when Mason Ryan appeared, he gave the fans no reason to cheer him, no charisma. Zack got the charisma, even if it had to be from a web show; however the fans loved it and Zack was the right guy cause his charisma is better than JoMo's.
    Best blog I have read since coming on this site. Well done sir!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.