View RSS Feed

knox

The Greatest Stable of All Time?

Rate this Entry
Hey guys Knox here. Despite seeing my favorite of all time Edge being announced as a 2012 Hall of Fame Inductee, I was even more excited to see the greatest stable of all time, The Four Horsemen be announced as an inductee as well. Yeah I said it, "Greatest Stable of All Time"

What made the Horsemen so great?:

This is an easy one. They had a real life persona about them. Everything about them was just plain real life. They really gave you an idea of what the road life was like. Parties, limousine riding, drinking and definitely the ladies. They were perfectly equipped with the perfect balance of stars.

Ric Flair was the leader and the main camera drawer. His name was in the lights. He had the girls and everything else as far as that stable went.

Arn Anderson was the "Enforcer". He was the muscle and in my opinion the better wrestler out of the group.

Tully Blanchard was the pure ladies man which to me is so real. Its always a ladies man in every click even in school.

They lived this life that was not only duplicated on screen but also behind the cameras. Lets not forget they had whom I consider the greatest manager of all time and that's J.J. Dillon.

J.J. Dillion

You talk about a man that knows this business and that's J.J. Dillon. What made him perfect is because he knew how to draw heat just by telling the damn truth and telling these people how it is. He didn't play the typical annoying Bobby Heenan, Vickie Guerrero, Slick or Jimmy Hart type of heel.

Those managers above I mentioned were great but they also were annoying. They drew heat because they had over the top personalities that just made the crowd boo. I'm not saying that's a bad thing at all.

Now J.J. Dillon didn't have an annoying voice or wore loud flashy colors. He was a stright forward type of guy that made you hate him and his crew because they were everything you wanted to be. They lived a lifestyle that we could only wish we could live.

The Additions to the Horsemen:

Barry Windham:
This was a great addition in my opinion. I feel like he had that cowboy mentality and persona that fitted in perfectly with the group. He definitely in my opinion just defines old school wrestling. I hope he's doing ok with his personal problems today.

Lex Luger:
I never thought he fit well with the group but I've always been a huge Luger guy. He has the persona of a heel but he played the babyface role for the majority of his career and actually played it well. There was so many reasons to hate Luger but he always kept his spot for good reason.

Steve "Mongo" McMichael:
This by far was the best addition the group ever made in my opinion. McMichael was an all out natural in this business even after being a successful NFL player. He had that natural swagger of a wrestler and did it better than alot of the seasoned wrestlers. He was a bit green but his charisma and mic skills could light up any room. One of my all time favorites.

I know I missed out on alot of guys like Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and Dean Malenko and others but honestly I didn't enjoy the Horsemen too much when they were involved.

Why the nWo isn't the greatest stable of all time?

Simple and plain, bad booking, too many egos and too many people. That's it in a nutshell right there. Classic Russo at his best.

I can write a book on why I hated the nWo so much. To be honest, I'd prefer the Nexus over the nWo any day guys. Hogan was the leader, yet Nash was just a pure manipulator in the back and wanted to be the leader as well.

Too many things went wrong with this stable. Scott Hall could never get his act together and definitely failed miserably as the 3rd man behind Hogan & Nash. Aww man don't get me started on the booking.

They debuted as the nWo by taking out Randy Savage and spray painting him and such. Out of nowhere he joins the stable? Then they were adding random individuals like Buff Bagwell, Rick Rude, Curt Hennig, Scott Norton. It was too much. Hogan & The Giant (Big Show) were brutal rivals and next thing you know the Giant's in the nWo as well.

The writing was just played. They did the same thing every single show which was interfering in every main event and ending the show in chaos. It got so old at an alarming rate.

Probably the biggest joke ever is when this stable split and up and formed "nWo Hollywood" and "nWo Wolfpack". I could not believe this mess when I saw it happen. The Wolfpack members were cool but it just ended up being a joke.

We still today see Russo's classic played out stable writing in TNA with Immortal and a couple years back with the Mainevent Mafia. I love TNA but Russo destroys is with all his nWo spin offs and the same huge stable interference in every mainevent.

Should Lex Luger be inducted into the Hall of Fame with the Horsemen?

You damn right he should. Luger was there for a good part of the Horsemen. Luger had a great enough career to be inducted into the Hall of Fame on his own but I still feel he should be with the Horsemen on that stage in Miami on March 31, 2012.

Luger has indeed burned some bridges with the WWE that's for sure. I mean he turned his back on the company back in the day for WCW. But the fact of the matter is he is currently employed with the WWE with the Wellness Policy and to me it would be a slap in the face to him to not have him on that stage.

Conclusion:

This will be an everlasting debate for a long time. nWo or the Horsemen. You guys just read my opinion and I'm sticking to it. The Horsemen were classic and defined what it was to be a wrestler going from territory to territory. They branched off and added new members but made sure they didn't make it an absolute wrecking machine like the nWo whom damn near had 20 members.

Thanks guys for reading and I can only hope you guys agree with me. I had so much fun writing this. Thanks guys and please leave feedback. We can debate till the wheels fall off. The Horsemen for life.
<u>

Submit "The Greatest Stable of All Time?" to Digg Submit "The Greatest Stable of All Time?" to del.icio.us Submit "The Greatest Stable of All Time?" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Greatest Stable of All Time?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    It's a shame their ignoring original Horseman Ole Anderson. As a child I remember being terrified by his promos. He didn't shout or swear, he just calmly told his opponent what he was going to do to them and was so menacing. The Four Horsemen and Evolution are my favourite stables of all time
    i liked all 3 categories of luger anderson and windham after that it just went downhill i liked mongo as a singles wrestler but the angle with jarrett? he was so anti horsemen and goofy i mean jarrett was great on his own but still
    In total agreement with the Horsemen as the #1 stable of all time. Their gimmick was to take their real personalities and enhance them 100 fold. People loved them cause they were cool, people hated them cause they were arrogant, EVERYONE cam to see them to see them kick ass or get their asses kicked. But they came to see them. To me, the Four Horsemen are Ric Flair, Double A, Tully and Ole. Windham was a decent addition when Ole couldn't go anymore. I also agree that Luger was not a great fit. On Mongo, he was horrible in the ring and I never thought he was good on the stick. In fact I thought he was worse on the mic than he was in the ring. I thought that Chris Benoit was a better member than Mongo and Benoit was also brutal on the mic. Either way, great that they are getting in the WWE Hall.

Also, the NWO was good because of HOW they were formed. The faux invasion angle of Hall and Nash. Hogan turning at Bash at the Beach. The fact that Hulk Hogan turned heel (HULK FUCKING HOGAN) turning heel after the brand name he had created outside of wrestling was a dangerous play and when it went over the way it did, they HAD to milk that cow for every drop of milk they could.

Doesn't matter, the Horsemen rule. Always did and always will.
    Updated 01-12-2012 at 01:28 PM by pld459666
    The Top 5 Biggest Stables In Wrestling History:
    01: The Four Horsemen
    02: The nWo
    03: The Hart Foundation
    04: Degeneration X
    05: The Corporation/The Corporation Ministry
    Good blog, but I don't think Russo had much to do with the nwo. Only nwo 2000
    Nice read. But no mention of Ole Anderson? Also I don't remember Eddie being apart of the stable at any point? I agree with you about Lex Luger. Could never really see him fitting in well with the Horsemen. But he definately deserves a spot in the HOF some day.

I also agree with you about the nWo (though I too believe Russo had nothing to do with it in the begining). They started off with a cool idea and then blew it. Not to mention, like you said, the egos involved. Would have been cool to see the stable just consist of the Nash / Hall invasion, and one of the greatest heel turns in wrestling history with Hogan joining. Other than that, Bischoff as manager, and Syxx.
    The greatest stable of all time i dont think so pal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.