View RSS Feed

bearkg88

2005: A Superb Year In The WWE

Rate this Entry
When i think about some of my favorite moments from the WWE, a lot of them come from the year 2005. After doing some reflecting I thought I would take a look at 2005 in whole, and what really made it a great year to be a fan of the WWE. I hope you enjoy reading

At the start of the year, we began with a now no longer used ppv in the form of New Years Revolution. The match that stuck out to me was Elimination Chamber match for the vacant World Heavyweight Championship. You had HHH, Orton, Jericho, Edge, Batista, and Chris Benoit with Shawn Michaels as the special guest referee. Triple H won the match, but there were quite a few memorable moments from it. Edge by accident speared HBK, and when HBK recovered he super kicked Edge, which led to Jericho landing a lionsault and eliminating Edge. Batista upon entering the match eliminated both Jericho and Benoit within minutes of entering. Personally this was one of my more favorite Elimination Chamber matches.

The following PPV was the Royal Rumble. In the Royal Rumble match, you saw Batista win after the controversial moment where both Cena and Batista were eliminated at the same time and the match was restarted. Another moment was when Shawn Michaels eliminated Kurt Angle, and then later in the match Angle returned to eliminate HBK and slap the ankle lock on HBK outside of the ring, this would lead to one of my favorite feuds of 2005.

We then came across the Smackdown brands No Way Out ppv. You saw Eddie Guerrero and Rey win the wwe tag championships, John Cena secure his Wrestlemania title shot, and JBL retaining his WWE title in controversial fashion against Big Show in a barbed wire steel cage match. The finish to the main event came when Big Show chokeslammed JBL through the ring, and then broke through the cage door, but JBL had already crawled out from under the ring and thus was the first to escape the cage.

Now it was time for Wrestlemania 21 which by far was one of my favorite Wrestlemanias. The main event was Batista vs HHH for the World Heavyweight Championship. I really enjoyed this feud. After Batista won the Rumble, HHH and Flair concocted a plan to trick Batista into challenging JBL, by having attempting to have Batista hit by a limousine resembling JBLs. Batista became aware of this though while eavesdropping on his fellow Evoltuion members. I will remember the moment Batista looked like he was signing the SD contract giving HHH and Flair the thumbs up, but instead turning it into a thumbs down. At the PPV, we saw Batista gain his first major title. He wasn't the only one to do that though. The other main event was JBL defending his WWE title against John Cena. It was at that time I was a massive John Cena fan. He still had his chain gang rapper gimmick, and I won't lie, I had his shirts, his wrist bands, even his spinner necklace. Watching Cena win the title at Wrestlemania was something great to see, and would start the ball for Cena being the top guy in the WWE. Some other memorable matches were the first Money In The Bank with Edge winning, Rey Mysterio beating Eddie Guerrero, The Undertaker continuing his streak and putting down the Legend Killer, Randy Orton, Trish Stratus beating Christy Hemme with the Womens Championship match on the line, Akebono beating The Big Show(which I found completely stupid), and my favorite match from the card, Shawn Michaels losing to the likes of Kurt Angle. I will always remember the near falls, the moments Angle would slap on the Ankle lock, holding on to the edge of my seat hoping HBK would get out.

Next we would get to a no longer used PPV, Backlash. You saw Edge defeat Chris Benoit in a last man standing match, Batista retaining his title against HHH, and the returning Holk Hogan teaming with HBK to take on the likes of Muhammad Hassan and Daivari. I will remember this PPV for the Hogan/HBK v Hassan/Daivari match. Was it a great match? No, but Hogan returned, and this would be the start of the main event of Summerslam, but we will get to that in a little bit. Watching HBK plead for Hogan to return and be his partner on Raw, and be attacked by Hassan and Daivari, and then that moment Hogan came back and accepted his offer, was a golden moment of 2005.

The next PPV would be Smackdowns Judgement Day. The big matches were Rey Mysterio beating Eddie Guerrero by DQ, continuing their feud. The new team of MNM beating Bob Holly and Charlie Haas to retain the tag team titles, and John Cena defeating JBL in an I Quit match to retain his WWE title. I didn't watch this PPV, so i can't comment too much on it.

The next PPV, was something a lot of people had been wanting. It was the return of ECW, in the form of One Night Stand. In my opinion, this was the best One Night Stand PPV, as the matches up and down focused on superstars who were in ECW at one point or another. For any hardcore fan, this was a wet dream come true.

In between One Night Stand and the next PPV, Vengeance, we saw the 2005 draft. The draft occured between June 6 and June 30th, with draftees being announced on each show. Drafted to Raw were the WWE Champion, John Cena, Kurt Angle, Carlito, Big Show, and RVD. This left Smackdown with no major title, until after Vengeance, the last draftee was announced as the World Heavyweight Champion, Batista. Drafted to SD were of course Batista, Chris Benoit, Muhammad Hassan and Daivari, Christian, and Randy Orton.

While the draft was going on, we had Raws PPV, Vengeance. The big matches were Shawn Michaels winning in his Wrestlemania rematch against Kurt Angle, John Cena retaining his WWE title against Chris Jericho and Christian, and Batista defeating HHH to retain his World title in Hell In A Cell.

It was during this time that a lot of things went down. Matt Hardy would make his return to the WWE, to go into a feud with Edge, the feud between Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio heated up, and in my opinion, the 2nd biggest moment from 2005, Shawn Michaels turning on Hulk Hogan, superkicking him after a tag team match.

We came to the Great American Bash. We saw Undertaker beat Muhammad Hassan, Rey Mysterio defeat Eddie Guerrero, and JBL defeat Batista by DQ with the World title on the line. This was another PPV i didn't see so I can't comment too much on.

It was then time for one of the big 4 PPVs. Summerslam. To me this was a big match packed ppv. You saw Chris Benoit win the US title from Orlando Jordan, Edge defeat Matt Hardy when Hardy started to bleed profusely and it was deemed by the ref that Hardy couldn't continue thus declaring Edge the winner, Rey Mysterio defeating Eddie Guerrero in a ladder match to retain custody of Reys son Dominick, Randy Orton winning against The Undertaker in a rematch from WM 21, John Cena defeating Chris Jericho to retain his WWE title, Batista beating JBL for the WHC in a No Holds Barred Match, and the main event of Hulk Hogan defeating Shawn Michaels. Now...in my opinion, HBK should have won. Yes I understand Hogan is the Hulkster, and he is on a level of his own, but I still feel HBK should have walked away with the victory. The night after Summerslam, Chris Jericho faced John Cena in another match for the WWE title with the stipulation if Jericho lost he would be fired. After losing Jericho was "fired"

Next we would come to Unforgiven. For me, the only three note worthy matches were Ric Flair defeating Carlito for the IC title, Matt Hardy beating Edge in a steel cage match, and Kurt Angle beating John Cena after Cena hit Angle with the WWE Championship.

The next PPV would be Smackdowns No Mercy. The note worthy matches were Randy and Bob Orton beating the Undertaker in a casket match, Chris Benoit retaining his US title in a fatal fourway, and Batista defeating Eddie Guerrero to retain his World Heavyweight Championship. This being another PPV I had not seen, so I can't comment(notice a trend where I didn't really watch Smackdown PPVs? lol)

The next PPV would be another one of the big 4, Survivor Series. The note worthy matches were HHH defeating Ric Flair in a last man standing match, John Cena retaining his WWE title against Kurt Angle with Daivari as the special guest referee, and the traditional survivor series match, with it being SD vs Raw. Team SD consisting of Batista, Randy Orton, Jbl, Rey Mysterio, and Bobby Lashley. Team Raw consisted of Shawn Michaels, Kane, Big Show, Carlio, and Chris Masters. The match was won by Randy Orton. It came down to Randy Orton and Shawn Michaels, with Michaels being distracted by JBL, Randy capitalized, RKOing HBK and securing the win. Afterwards Orton was joined by other SD members in the ring, where Taker made his return in the form of a casket being set on fire by lighting. Orton got out of the ring in time, before The Undertaker could get his hands on him. Other memorable moments from this match were when HHH took a screw driver to Ric Flair, as well as HHH taking a sledgehammer to the back of Flair to end the match.

The final PPV of 2012 was Smackdowns Armageddon. The big matches were Big Show and Kane defeating Rey Mysterio and Batista, and The Undertaker defeating Randy Orton in Hell in a cell. Again another SD ppv i didn't watch so I can't comment too much on.

Notable Feuds
HHH vs Batista
John Cena vs JBL
John Cena vs Chris Jericho
Kurt Angle vs HBK
HBK vs Hulk Hogan
Edge vs Matt Hardy
Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio

My favorite of those, would be HBK vs Hogan, only because the moment of HBK superkicking Hogan was to me, a total shock. Watching HBKs promos going into Summmerslam were priceless.

Notable debuts
MNM-Johnny Nitro(redebut), Melina, Joey Mercury
Chris Masters
Mr Anderson
Bobby Lashley
Paul Burchill

Notable Depatures
Tajiri
Rhyno
Matt Morgan
Charlie Haas
Christian
Christy Hemme
And finally, the late great Eddie Guerrero

I wanted to end this blog on an emotional topic. Earlier i said what i thought was the 2nd biggest moment of 2005 was. Now I want to touch on what I feel was the biggest moment of 2005 was. I feel it was the loss of Eddie Guerrero. On Nov 13 Eddie Guerrero was pronounced dead. That was the day the wrestling world lost a true treasure. When I started watching the WWE in 2002, I was only able to catch Eddie on PPVs, or if I watched things online because my tv provider didn't carry SD. I was always enamored by his motto of Lie, Cheat, Steal though. I remember watching his No Way Out match against Brock Lesnar where he won his first major title, the WWE Championship, and then him retaining it against Kurt Angle in usual Eddie Guerrero fashion. I remember I was in school in the computer lab, actually at this website when i read on here that Eddie Guerrero was found dead. I was in such shock. I turned to my friend and told him and his reaction was the same as mine. To me, the loss of Eddie Guerrero wasn't the greatest or best moment of 2005, but it was the biggest, something that is still seen today. RIP Eddie.

1517593806_3beda14700.jpg

Submit "2005: A Superb Year In The WWE" to Digg Submit "2005: A Superb Year In The WWE" to del.icio.us Submit "2005: A Superb Year In The WWE" to StumbleUpon Submit "2005: A Superb Year In The WWE" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good blog, thanks for taking the time to write it, I really enjoyed it.
    For me personally 2005 was an okay year, I feel 2003 was the last great year. But I do miss Eddie and it hasn't been the same without him.
    2005 was an amazing year. I do feel that WWE messed up HBK so many times. What I mean by that is his wins. Personally I agree with you him beating Hulk Hogan at Summerslam and I think he should of beat Kurt Angle. Kurt Angle disrespects the WWE now so I see it as a waste of time. They call HBK Mr.Wrestlemania when he didn't get alot of wins there.

But I was really happy as Batista became the longest reigning World Heavyweight Champion through this year. This was truly Batista's year when he was at his absolute best. And yes RIP Eddie Guerrero.
    i forgot how great of a year this was until i read this brilliant blog. Man you are right about everything. The only let down for me was not seeing Christian or Matt Hardy win the title but it was still an insane year but sadly we did lose a legend that year.

This was so amazing bro. Um would I be asking too much if I'd ask you to do a similar blog for 2001. That was a good year as well.
    great blog, I thought 2005 went very well with new main eventers and just a great buzz. thanks for the memories
    Quote Originally Posted by knox
    i forgot how great of a year this was until i read this brilliant blog. Man you are right about everything. The only let down for me was not seeing Christian or Matt Hardy win the title but it was still an insane year but sadly we did lose a legend that year.

This was so amazing bro. Um would I be asking too much if I'd ask you to do a similar blog for 2001. That was a good year as well.
    Nah it wouldn't be too much to ask, the thing is I didn't really become a die hard wrestling fan till summer of 2002 so I didn't see anything that happened in 2001. If I get the time ill look on youtube at videos from that time frame and see what I can do.
    A mixed year for me.. The moments I enjoyed:

1. Kurt - HBK Feud
    2. Matt Hardy - Edge feud (I'm a huge E&C Mark)
    3. MITB win of Edge

Moments i hated or moments that pissed me OFF:

1. Burial of Christian by Cena (This is the time I started hating Cena...I'm a huge E&C Mark)
    2. Cena winning against Y2J
    3. Cena winning against Kurt (Damn!! Give me a break!!)
    4. HBK losing to Hogan

Saddest moment is Eddie's demise!!
    John Cena Vs. JBL feud was amazing!!
    Including the HBK-Kurt Angle Feud!!!!!
    Matt Hardy and Edge Feud bulit up some good ratings on Raw
    Batista & Triple H feud was amazing
    2005 was an amzing year for the Wwe!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.