View RSS Feed

RatedATB

Fixing the Brand Extension

Rate this Entry
What's poppin folks, RatedATB back at it again. Not too long ago I made a blog discussing the WWE dropping the brand extension, which I still believe they should do. However with the 2012 ppv lineup showing Bragging Rights returning I think it's more than safe to assume that after Mania the brand extension is going to be restored and we'll see the extension back in full swing. Now, I'm ok with this, I was a fan of the original extension and it worked for a while because they gave it meaning. I think they can resurrect the whole idea and really make it something worth while. So I'm going to start this off the day after Wrestlemania, and without further ado...

As I said, day after Mania Vince comes out announcing it's time for a new era in wrestling. We just witnessed one of the greatest Wrestlemanias ever and it brought to close the previous era in the WWE and to bring upon the next one they're going to do another draft. Except this one is going to be completely from scratch. This is due to the fact that the brands are uneven, and to bring out the most competition they're going to have to make everything as even as possible. So from main eventers, all the way down to announcers we're going to see the best of the best shuffled around once more. Johnny Ace and Teddy each get 10 picks and the rest of the talent are going to be decided through the supplemental draft, similar to the original draft back in 2002. The only exceptions are going to be HHH and Undertaker, simply because HHH is mainly management, and Taker is so sporadically used that it doesn't matter.

Raw
1. Randy Orton
2. CM Punk
3. Christian
4. Sheamus
5. Alberto Del Rio
6. Kane
7. Dolph Ziggler
8. Cody Rhodes
9. Brodus Clay
10. Jack Swagger

Smackdown
1. John Cena
2. Chris Jericho
3. Miz
4. R-Truth
5. Rey Mysterio
6. Daniel Bryan
7. Mark Henry
8. Big Show
9. Air Boom
10. Wade Barrett

I'd say these are pretty balanced rosters and add new depth and new stories to each show. I say Cena to Smackdown because it would be the most fresh they could go and it would be a good test to see if Orton and Punk could carry Raw on their own, which I believe they can. Next they decide on their announce teams and the following go over respectively:

Raw -
Matt Striker(face)
Michael Cole
Ring Announcer - Justin Roberts

Smackdown -
Booker T
Josh Matthews
Jerry Lawler (heel turn?)
Ring Announcer - Lilian Garcia

That leaves the rest of the talent pool which would go something along the lines of...

Raw: Zack Ryder, Ezekiel Jackson, Hawkins, Reks, David Otunga, Jinder Mahal, JTG, Michael McGuillicutty, Alex Riley, Ted Dibiase, William Regal, Goldust, Mason Ryan, Drew McIntyre

Smackdown: Usos, Primo/Epico, Heath Slater, Hunico, Justin Gabriel, Sin Cara, Santino Marella, Tyson Kidd, Trent Barreta, Yoshi Tatsu, Seth Rollins

Divas
Raw - Eve, Bellas, Kharma, Natalya, Beth Phoenix, Layla, Tamina, Vickie Guerrero

Smackdown - Kelly Kelly, Rosa, Alicia Fox, Aksana, AJ, Kaitlyn

I BELIEVE that's everyone, and I apologize if I left anyone off, it's a huge roster lol. Don't look too much into the divas and their spots, the divas champion is a floater so I figured putting Kelly and Alicia on Smackdown did it justice enough since they're both utilized decently. I know the under card looks kind of sketchy, but I sort of left the cruiserweights on Smackdown seeing as they usually don't go anywhere on Raw anyway and I do plan on bringing the Cruiserweight Championship back at some point. In all honesty they look like pretty well balanced rosters, and most of the undercard will end up on Superstars and NXT anyway so who cares ya know?

I'll quickly throw in what the title situations would look like:
Raw -
WWE Championship
Intercontinental Championship

Smackdown -
World Heavyweight Championship
Cruiserweight Championship

With Divas and Tag Team floating from show to show. Yes I'd unify the U.S. and IC simply because I think the WWE needs a cruiserweight title more than the U.S. title with the amount of cruiserweights it has and I feel like putting them all on one show negates the necessity of the U.S. title. Plus I think it would give the IC title more meaning. I think two mid card titles is as redundant as two tag titles or two womens titles, it just seems unnecessary. But that's just me, I wont deny it helps talent out but that's what the IC title is for. It seems that they focus on one or the other and I'd rather they focus on the IC title rather than U.S. title. Hell they can even use the U.S. over the IC, I just picked IC because I like it a little more and has more WWE-internal prestige.

As for ppvs I think going back to brand specific ppvs is the way to go. It adds another month to each shows respective ppv and it allows a lot of undercard talent a spot on a ppv and gives them a place to showcase their talents which in turn adds even more depth to the rosters. I'd give 6 ppvs to be dual-branded, those being Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, Wrestlemania, Bragging Rights, Summerslam, and Survivor Series. Now of course this means getting rid of stuff like TLC, Night of Champions, and Hell in a Cell which I'm more than fine with but I can't see them doing that so whatever. If anything I'd love for them to replace the gimmick ppvs and go back to Backlash, Judgement Day, Unforgiven, No Mercy, Vengenace, Armageddon, etc or even make up new ones...WWE Battleground! Ok I'll leave the names up to WWE on that one haha.

For this to truly work WWE needs to make everything look brand specific. Maybe even new sets, or a new set for Raw or Smackdown. Remember when it was truly special to see someone on Smackdown? Like when HBK went to Smackdown to kick Kurt Angles ass? It was like "fuck that wasn't supposed to happen but holy hell if it wasn't awesome!" I'd love for stuff like that to happen again. If not then this is all a waste of time and they should just end the damn thing and go back to regular WWE programming. In all honesty at this point both a brand extension, and a full brand would both work, it's just all how it's pulled off.

So that's just a few ways on how I'd fix the brand extension. Sure there's a lot that would need to be worked out but this is a rough sketch and it's all my opinion and naturally yours may differ from mine, and that's cool. Just be mature about it, ya know? Well until next time folks it's been real, it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun. Deuces.

Submit "Fixing the Brand Extension" to Digg Submit "Fixing the Brand Extension" to del.icio.us Submit "Fixing the Brand Extension" to StumbleUpon Submit "Fixing the Brand Extension" to Google

Comments

Dude. I love this. Which probably means it will never happen ha. The WWE needs something fresh, and in this case needs to go somewhat old school. This could be a great jump start for a lot of new feuds. I also love the idea of bringing back the cruiserweight title. Personally I'd like to see them go back to the "women's" title instead of the "divas" title. Everything seemed so much more prestigious when they had all this going for them. Now everything seems watered down and less meaningful.
    You definitely have a point and that's that the Brand extension needs fixing. It just depends which way to go about it. I think that if the brand split is to stay, it should be done the way you have indicated. There needs to be a balance. In the past, Raw has been the clear A-Brand and it shouldn't be that way.

However, in my opinion I feel that the Brand Extension has runs it's course. Merging the brands wouldn't be as damaging to talent as it was in 2002. Back then there were a lot of main event potential and the split was necessary. Today, I don't think there's a great deal of main event talent that is up to the standards that it was back then and that's why we see Smackdown guys on Raw and vice versa. I think the right way to go would be to merge the rosters. I think it's time to merge the World/WWE Championships, US/Intercontinental Championship and perhaps bring back another title like the Cruiserweight/European Championship for that lower end of the card. WWE don't have the likes of The Rock, Kurt Angle, Hulk Hogan, Chris Benoit, Shawn Michaels, Triple H and Brock Lesnar wrestling in the main event anymore and I feel that for that reason the brand extension isn't really needed.
    Great article, I would LOVE to this happen, personally. Maybe WWE will do this, they're bringing back Bragging Rights, and I can't see that PPV be relevant if Raw and SmackDown Superstars are constantly on each others shows. Establishing two rosters would be amazing again, like you said: Have John Cena on SmackDown and Punk/Orton on Raw would be great, and if, say, Orton attacked Cena on SmackDown, if would be shocking, rather than ignoring the fact that he's always on the show like these days. Also, Matt Striker and Michael Cole won't work together, that's why Striker left the booth - Cole HATED working with him 'cause he felt Matt always tried to emphasize to much...even go back and watch episodes of Striker/Cole on commentary
    I believe if they go "actually separate" again, they'll just at some point mash them togather once again and again make extension pointless. And I would really like them to go back to the original formula & have only one top heavyweight championship, one mid heavyweight championship and reward those championships, as well as the other championships, by allowing them and ONLY THEM to appear on both shows, for more credibility to be given, no matter who is holding them or how the ratings are. It's still 1 company.
    i 100% disagree with the picks......cena would never be able to leave raw hes too much of a big draw......drew mcintyre is sd not ever should be raw.........hawkins should also be on smackdown hes not big enough same as jinder he hasn't got it yet to be on raw.....also christian is a samckdown sort of guy hes too great for them to lose to raw and also with edge gettin inducted now it would give smackdown some much needed prestige. truth should be raw he has the power to stay on raw he has the heat as well same with miz and jericho. also i dont know what wwe would do with airboom on smackdown and cody on raw i say cody has been one of the top smackdown heels as of yet and i think they need cody their....

also may i add i dont ever think the cruisaweight has a right to come back in wwe. it lost its prestige and cred after the last 2 years it was still in wwe. out of anything keep the us and ic titles maybe like what andywonder said only have 1 world title to defend on both shows and right now i would say give it to cena or orton to start with so people can face them and cena + orton can give way to other superstars who deserve it more than them....ie drew,sheamus,wade or dare i say miz/truth.

now onto "announce teams"

i dont see king on smackdown hes been on raw non-stop since 01 or maybe before i cant be bothered remembering since hes not been on annoucing....i also dont agree with lillian being on smackdown but thats in real life so i really cant fight that.

i also need to mention the divas

i say kharma would be better on smackdown and keep kelly kelly on raw kick layla to smackdown as well she has no prestige without michelle.

well i think thier goes my review on how i feel about your blog
    Quote Originally Posted by LincolnHawk
    You definitely have a point and that's that the Brand extension needs fixing. It just depends which way to go about it. I think that if the brand split is to stay, it should be done the way you have indicated. There needs to be a balance. In the past, Raw has been the clear A-Brand and it shouldn't be that way.

However, in my opinion I feel that the Brand Extension has runs it's course. Merging the brands wouldn't be as damaging to talent as it was in 2002. Back then there were a lot of main event potential and the split was necessary. Today, I don't think there's a great deal of main event talent that is up to the standards that it was back then and that's why we see Smackdown guys on Raw and vice versa. I think the right way to go would be to merge the rosters. I think it's time to merge the World/WWE Championships, US/Intercontinental Championship and perhaps bring back another title like the Cruiserweight/European Championship for that lower end of the card. WWE don't have the likes of The Rock, Kurt Angle, Hulk Hogan, Chris Benoit, Shawn Michaels, Triple H and Brock Lesnar wrestling in the main event anymore and I feel that for that reason the brand extension isn't really needed.
    No yeah I definitely agree with you on that. I've wanted the brand extension to end ever since they fucked Smackdown over in 06 and left them with Batista, Kane, Booker, and Rey. This was just how I'd like them to go about fixing it IF they kept it, which as I said in the blog looks highly likely.
    Nice read. Not exactly how I would do it, but that's an interesting scenario.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.