View RSS Feed

akbar

The Internet is ruining WWE...

Rate this Entry
I’m going to get straight to the point with this one, but in my opinion the internet and IWC has played a huge part in the demise of WWE and its popularity in recent times. This theory is one of the first reasons that come to mind when I try to compare ‘attitude era’ to the ‘PG era’. Internet was jus on the rise in the late 90’s and early 00’s and you would have had to be really rich to have a pc and computer compared to now where nearly every home has internet.

First the IWC unintentionally influences people’s opinion on the WWE’s current state and what they expect from the future. I first started going to wrestling forums and websites like this around 2 years ago, and I have noticed a change in how I look at wrestling and how I feel while watching RAW every week.
Same way as someone neutral came to a WWE related website for the first time has a read of everyone’s opinion towards a certain wrestler and automatically the reader notices he has the same feelings towards that wrestler next time seeing him and then comes to an agreement that this wrestler is not what he initially thought about him, regardless of how he felt at the start. It’s similar to reading a film review before washing it, and you can’t help but have an already made perception of the film while watch it. I’m not saying this happens to everyone but I know it’s a common thing to happen.

Another example I can give is the Chris Jericho return, when I saw that I don’t know how I felt about it really, did I just see a piece of genius or a big disaster. I was impartial with my opinion because I have been on these WWE websites for awhile and I have read enough reviews to know that a lot of people think way different to me.
Anyways I was leaning more towards that this promo was rubbish and I decide I m not happy with it. But the next day I went on wrestling sites and forums and read all the blogs and posts about how this whole thing is genius and his doing to fool people. This example shows the internet showing WWE for the better but it proves how other people’s opinion effect your own. Other examples is the many blogs about john cena and people are against him, his fans notices his faults and people think that its ‘cool’ to hate cena so they go with it. Also The IWC complains about ‘raw’ nearly every week and how it’s not good enough and I never agree because you can’t really have a 2 hour show with everything being exciting, the culture of complaining has and never will stop but WWE now has the same amount flaws as ‘attitude era’ did, I feel but it’s just magnified now days because of the internet.

An issue WWE is also facing is its ratings; it’s not as big as it used to be, but if WWE counted the amount of people that watch it on the internet through streaming or something similar it would be another story.

That’s also similar with PPV buy rates; many people find it much better as to watch it on the internet and not buying it as PPV. Nothing like this was around 10 years ago and people didn’t have an alternative to paying for it.
One more issue is that the internet ruins surprises with the WWE and the spoilers that’s when a certain surprise returns happens, it doesn’t become a surprise anymore as most people knew who it was anyways and the spoilers has definitely ruined Smackdown for me because I just read the results instead of watching it on Friday night. I’m not complaining about this particular issue because obviously I can just not read it but I’m saying it doesn’t really help WWE.

Of course the internet can also work for the good like them hyping a certain wrestler like Drew Macintyre or Wade Barrett who was never really on my radar but because of these Websites I have noticed them and now am big fans of them. People are allowed to put their opinions on websites I’m not saying they shouldn’t because that would make me a hypocrite but I’m only stating that this is the situation we have and the circumstances are different so comparing this era to the one 10 years ago is a bit unfair.
Anyways this is just a theory that I threw out soo yh…in a bit everyone

Submit "The Internet is ruining WWE..." to Digg Submit "The Internet is ruining WWE..." to del.icio.us Submit "The Internet is ruining WWE..." to StumbleUpon Submit "The Internet is ruining WWE..." to Google

Comments

I think the Internet works great for smaller promotions like the old ECW, and ROH because those promotions thrive on the fans opinion on their product, and work on that. When it comes to WWE I think they can definitely do without it because it exposes the inner workings of the company and find out about things before they happen.
    Also The IWC complains about ‘raw’ nearly every week and how it’s not good enough and I never agree because you can’t really have a 2 hour show with everything being exciting, the culture of complaining has and never will stop but WWE now has the same amount flaws as ‘attitude era’ did, I feel but it’s just magnified now days because of the internet.
    So I read your blog and first off, good read. I enjoyed reading it and I think you make some valid points. One that really resounded to me, was the one i highlighted above. I think you hit the nail on the head. I feel like a lot of people will take one segment that was rubbish, and consider the whole show bad. And people now a days are more likely to look at the bad than the good, and you are right, having countless people online who complain about a bad moment, simply magnifies it. Keep up the good work dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEelDeal
    Wrong.... You want to know what ruined WWE it was restructuring the company so they had to meet monthly and quarterly reporting cycles to ensure market price was maintained. That meant that story lines had to mature and be realised in quick time so buy rates stayed high - hence you know longer see them develop beyond the quarter, hell your lucky to see them beyond the month.

That, along with several SNAFUs by large corporations meaning that only real profits could be reported so that you couldn't speculate is the single biggest factor in ruining WWE storylines and character development.
    Okay? But would you not agree that the points I stated were also part of the reason WWE can't be as good as it used to be?
    I also hate the spoilers. Last year I already know that Booker t and Nash would enter the Rumble before it even started. just like The Rock his return. ( I knew it was him, that spoiled a bit of the fun but I'll still marked out) and the Chris Jericho return. It would be much cooler if you don't know who is gonna show up. now you know some storylines/returns weeks before it actually happens.

But thanks to the internet I can watch the WWE because i'm from the Netherlands
    it's just spoiler sites really, I read them because they are hard to resist but still watch the shows. I do lose the surprise factor which sucks but thats the risk
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2Jryder
    I also hate the spoilers. Last year I already know that Booker t and Nash would enter the Rumble before it even started. just like The Rock his return. ( I knew it was him, that spoiled a bit of the fun but I'll still marked out) and the Chris Jericho return. It would be much cooler if you don't know who is gonna show up. now you know some storylines/returns weeks before it actually happens.

But thanks to the internet I can watch the WWE because i'm from the Netherlands
    Very simple. Dont visit this site. Stop whining,moaning and complaining about trivial shit you can sort out urself.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.