View RSS Feed

Rick Starr

My Top 15 WrestleMania Matches: Pt. 1 of 2.

Rate this Entry

Hey Splashers, I hope you all enjoyed your holidays. I want to thank wrestlingfan66513 for giving the opportunity to participate in Blog Wars KOTR Edition. Secondly I’d like to give props to Hitman for winning this Blog Wars.

When it comes to wrestling Pay Per Views, there is always one standard that almost every wrestling fan can agree on: WrestleMania. Some years it’s outstanding, some years…not so great. Yet if you look at the PPV as a whole, no other wrestling PPV can rival it.

This list was a hard one for me. At first I tried a top 5, yet that just didn’t work. I found that I had too many great matches that I wanted to talk about, with too few spots to put them all in. Now just because a match did not make this list certainly does not mean I did not like the match, or even think it was a great match. I have spent the past week or so watching hours of footage of some great WrestleMania matches. Matches that could rightfully make this list, but I gave myself a number, and I stuck to it. Both parts of the list are complete, part 2 will be submitted on Friday, you might not get it until Saturday. Well enough of the BS, let’s get on with the Splash!

My Top 15 WrestleMania Matches: Pt. 1 of 2.
15. WrestleMania 14
Kane vs Undertaker I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lvhdwxL7OU
I thought the Pete Rose segment was an excellent beginning to the match. It showed that not only was Kane this big scary dude, but he was also ready to do funny segments on the fly. As far as the match itself, I thought it was the better of their two WrestleMania matches. It was the beginning of Kane’s career in the WWE, and it was still rather early in The Undertaker’s streak (Only 6-0 before Kane). There were a lot of high flying moves for two 7-footer’s, a great story-build-up, plus add Paul Bearer to the mix. And you got yourself a classic WrestleMania match.

14. WrestleMania 10
HBK vs Razor Ramon for the Undisputed Intercontinental Title in a
Ladder Match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUtKn7qJBLQ
When you look back through the years, and put the word “ladder” and “WrestleMania” together, many people might first think of Money in the Bank, or Christian & Edge. Others might even think Hardy Boyz, and those are all legitimate first thoughts. But to this day, one of the best ladder matches in WrestleMania is Shawn Michaels vs Scott “Razor Ramon” Hall for the Undisputed Intercontinental Title. The reason I am giving HBK and Hall the acknowledgement, is because they are the ones who set the stage when it comes to ladder matches. I know a lot of people may not agree with this as through the years great wrestlers has risen the bar when it comes to ladder matches, but I am sticking where it started.

13. WrestleMania 22
Edge vs Mick Foley in a Hardcore Match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K5JK7-oFC8
I remember when this was pushing Edge over as one of the bigger stars in the WWE at the time, as he had recently lost his first WWE Title which he won via Money in the Bank. Edge also started his “Rated R Superstar” which was very significant to the Attitude Era. Now it’s just a saying, but when it first started, he had several proactive segments with his on screen-girlfriend Lita.

When Edge lost his title, Mick Foley was the special referee, and he held him responsible. This started a nasty feud between the two, thus setting off one of the biggest hardcore matches in WrestleMania History.

12. WrestleMania 3
Randy Savage© vs. Ricky Steamboat for the WWE Intercontinental Title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_sT9He21xQ
While many agree that the Hogan vs Andre the giant match had several magical moments, it was not a technically sound match by any means. The Savage vs Steamboat match at WrestleMania 3 however was a totally different story. Their match was full of high flying moves and great technical moves from both men. Then there were a handful of dirty moves by Savage. Over the years, many could agree that this match could have easily taken the main even slot at WrestleMania 3.

11. WrestleMania 18
Chris Jericho© vs Triple H for WWE the Undisputed Championship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JDn57NDrUkU
There are a lot of things that I remember from this feud/match. For one, I can almost recall that Jericho has spent just about the same amount of time with Stephanie McMahon on TV, than Triple H has. Even when Jericho was feuding with Stephanie, they had some of the best chemistry I’ve ever seen. The other big things that I remember is that, not too many guys get to Pedigree their wives, not only does he get to stay out of jail, but Triple H wins the Undisputed Title, and is cheered by thousands….Only on WWE TV. It was a great feud, and most certainly an excellent match.

10. WrestleMania 18
Hulk Hogan vs The Rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A12EJ0Fe9A
For those of you who actually remember this match almost a decade ago, this was Rock’s “Legend vs Superstar” match when he faced the Hulk. Although Hulk is not one of the best technical wrestlers in the business, he certainly was one of the best all around performers in his time.

There was little shock in this match as to who was going to win, however the match itself got some great pops for both sides, and it was still a great match to watch. The aftermath where Hogan was being attacked by Hall & Nash, only to be rescued by The Rock was the big part of the story. The WWE wanted to bring back to the “Yellow & Red Hogan” and that’s exactly what they did by the end of that night.

09. Wrestle Mania 14
HBK vs Stone Cold Steve Austin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5LtmzpGY6M
“HBK Shawn Michaels and “Stone Cold” Steve Austin: These two men were the very definition of the Attitude Era, at its most peak time. Now I’m not forgetting people like The Rock, Foley, or even Triple H. But when it comes to being the best at what you do. There was no question that ‘HBK’ and ‘Stone Cold’ were the top two guys in the business at that time.

I thought bringing in Mike Tyson was one of the rare celebrities that I actually enjoyed. Tyson has been known to be a bit if a wildcard, so he fit right in with the WWE, and more-so the DX/Austin story. The match itself was brilliant. Despite taking the nasty bump, which would take HBK out for several years, they still managed to finish off a great match, with a little help from Mike Tyson.

08. WrestleMania 13
Bret Hart vs Steve Austin: No DQ Submission Match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-YbsYSkGHQ
Here it was! The Brawler vs the Technician! Yes both can brawl, and both are technically sound, there is no doubt about that. But when you put Hart and Austin together, you see which one comes out on top in Brawling, and which one comes out on top using their technical skills, you got a match! Make the match a No DQ Submission with Ken Shamrock as the Special Ref, and then you got a war!

This was one of the bloodier matches in WWF/WWE history. The match itself was great from bell to bell. If they weren’t pounding the hell out of each other, they were executing some top notch technical moves

Well Splasher’s that’s it for this half! On the next half we will talk about the great TLC Tag team match at WrestleMania 17, Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart in an Iron Match at WrestleMania 12, And who do I think should be #1? That your just gonna have to wait till next time Splashers! See Ya!
-Rick Starr @RickStarr

Submit "My Top 15 WrestleMania Matches: Pt. 1 of 2." to Digg Submit "My Top 15 WrestleMania Matches: Pt. 1 of 2." to del.icio.us Submit "My Top 15 WrestleMania Matches: Pt. 1 of 2." to StumbleUpon Submit "My Top 15 WrestleMania Matches: Pt. 1 of 2." to Google

Updated 12-28-2011 at 06:45 PM by Rick Starr

Tags: wrestlamania, wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wait... I was under the impression that hbk wrestled that mania match with Austin with an already injured back after taking a nasty bump against the edge of a casket while facing the undertaker at the royal rumble. The one where Kane set the casket on fire.
    I should have been more clear. yes he had taken a a bad bump by the undertaker before, which many credit to him taking his absence. At WrestleMania 14 (The WrestleMania in question he took a similar bump the back.) My mistake.
    Looking foward to part 2, got me thinking about my own top 15 which is:

1) Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker - WM25
    2) Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle - WM21
    3) Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat - WM3
    4) Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels - WM10
    5) The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin - WM17
    6) Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin - WM13
    7) Dudley Boyz vs. Hardy Boyz vs. Edge & Christian - WM17
    8) Edge vs. The Undertaker - WM24
    9) Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart - WM10
    10) Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker - WM26
    11) Ric Flair vs. Randy Savage - WM8
    12) Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair - WM24
    13) The Ulimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage - WM7
    14) Triple H vs. The Undertaker - WM17
    15) Randy Savage vs. Hulk Hogan - WM5
    Updated 12-29-2011 at 04:17 AM by AJ1981
    ^^^ What about Snooki's match?
    Now this is a guy that takes care into righting blogs yo.I enjoy reading your blog Rick and I will be looking forward to your your next one dawg!!
    I enjoyed having you compete. I hope to have you back on in a title match one day.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.