View RSS Feed

Callum

Getting A Reaction

Rate this Entry
If you’re a heel you want to hear boo’s whereas if you’re a face you want to hear cheers. At the moment the Mid carders (besides Zack Ryder and one or two others) tend too not get much of a reaction so in this blog I will be discussing how some of the wrestlers can get a reaction and why they don’t get a reaction.

High flyers
People such as Rey Mysterio, Sin Cara and Jeff Hardy usually get a great crowd reaction because of all the high flying moves they do which is why they tend to not work as heels. They help their (heel) opponent get a reaction as they are always loved by the crowd.

Mic Work
If your good on the mic then it’s more than likely that you’re going to get a reaction from the crowd. The Miz only got to the top because he was amazing on the mic. Cm punk, Chris Jericho, Triple H, Shawn Michaels etc; These people can all get the crowd to love them of hate them because of their Mic work. People such as John Morrison and Shelton Benjamin have been held back by their mic skills.

I’m going to use the Miz and Morrison tag team as an example. Miz was the one who had great mic skills and Morrison was the one who was great in the ring. Miz became a main eventer whereas Morrison became a jobber towards the end of his contract and was eventually released.

Humour
Cm Punk, Triple H, Santino Marella and more recently R-truth have used jokes to get a reaction from the crowd. The Miz and Cm Punk are great when it comes to mocking people. I remember when Triple H said “Where’s your movie?” to which Cm punk replied “Oh, mine went straight to Dvd just like yours”. These type of things help the audience to either love hate someone whether it’s R-truth going on about little Jimmy or Santino and his Honk a Meter.

Charisma
People like Eddie Guerro and Shawn Michaels drew the crowd in and kept them interested. These days there aren’t many wrestlers with a personality they’re all too similar and bland.

Facial expressions
These are underrated in my opinion. Cm Punk and the Miz use facial expressions to enchance their promos/matches. They should utilise these more as you don’t have to be the best on the mic to have good facial exspressions.

Catchphrases
A catchphrase helps the crowd help the crowd to remember who you are and often finishes off a promo. Some current catchphrases are:
“because I’m The Miz and I’m awesome”
“Woo woo woo, you know it”
Catchphrases can help to develop a personality but they are not required to get a reaction.

Managers
If a wrestler had a manager such as Vickie Guerro or Michael Cole they’d get a great reaction even if they were boring on the Mic. Say Wade Barrett (just as a random example) aligned himself with Michael Cole he would instantly get loads of heat. If he then turned on Michael Cole he’d have lots of cheers simply because no one likes Michael Cole. Michael Cole could then align himself with another wrestler (who would then be hated loads) and you’d have yourself a feud.

The Problem
Nowadays Wwe rely on the same boring cheap heat to get the wrestlers a reaction. As a heel you’re a coward who leaves matches mid way through etc; or you attack your opponent before/after the match. As a face you then run down to the ring chase off the heels and that’s that.
The problem then is that you can only do this a certain number of times and these times are reserved for the main eventers.

This leaves the mid carders getting no reaction. The creative team need to think up more ways for their wrestlers to get a reaction as at the moment only a few select wrestlers are getting the reaction that is expected.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to reading the comments

Submit "Getting A Reaction" to Digg Submit "Getting A Reaction" to del.icio.us Submit "Getting A Reaction" to StumbleUpon Submit "Getting A Reaction" to Google

Updated 12-17-2011 at 05:02 PM by Callum

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

I think you raise some good points here, especially the fact that WWE seems too comfortable relying on their current methods alone. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed that managers were more common a few years ago and they were more involved in the matches and overall activity. And you hit a big point with facial expressions: it's subtle but telling. I watch someone like Wade Barrett - whom I root for but still see room for improvement - and see that his face rarely changes, let alone tells us what his character is thinking or feeling. His is not an isolated incident - this is common. I wish that WWE would not just try to shake things up, but just go to what really works.
    raise good points? ha! It's like saying "to be a good human.. you have to breathe oxygen and drink water"...

NO SHIT SHERLOCK!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath_Decka
    raise good points? ha! It's like saying "to be a good human.. you have to breathe oxygen and drink water"...

NO SHIT SHERLOCK!!!
    Why do you always leave negative comments on people's blogs?
    Because he don't have the skill or courage to write one himself.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.