View RSS Feed

DK Wrestling Savior

A Long Time Coming...Michael Cole Blog

Rate this Entry
Hey Everyone. Hope you all had a great Christmas holiday. When we left off, I talked a little about the video and some Kane/Cena feud. I never did touch on TNA but I don't think anyone's really counting right now. So this week, I'm going to touch on a few small things and then get into my Michael Cole...um...rant, I guess.

First, the John Cena vs Kane thing is actually going pretty good. I was, of course, right about it being another attempt to string us along on a Cena heel turn possibility. I still don't think it's a great idea because who jobs out in this situation? Bury Kane, yet again? Or threaten the integrity of your one bright spot that glimmers not so far in the future, The Rock vs John Cena Wrestlemania Main Event? I'm interested in seeing where this will go.

Booker T vs Cody Rhodes. This past Monday, Cody went down clean to Booker T. I feel this was a great thing to do for Cody. Now the feud can go on for another few weeks and culminate at Royal Rumble. With Booker's win, it gives Cody's eventual defeat of Booker a lot more merit.

Only a few more days and we'll find out who the videos are for. Most likely Jericho, though I still feel he should be a secret RR entrant.

Okay, this has been a long time coming. A blog, completely dedicated, to the most earritating *yes I spelled it that way intentionally*, annoying, bothersome, agitating, plague of an announcer, Michael Cole.

What's wrong with Michael Cole? Let me count the ways. Better yet, how about I don't. How about I just pinpoint the two most glaring problems not just with Cole himself, but everything that surrounds him.

Before I get into the issues, I'll just lay out the obvious. He's the poor choice. And if there are reports that he's being fed what to say through an ear set, then that's simply a mistake. There needs to be a line with announcers. Their job is to call the action and bring the top spots of each show to the viewers with the kind of excitement and enthusiasm, heel or face, that gives us that feeling of, 'WOW. Awesome Stuff.' JR and The King did that consistently. Michael Cole, blabs too much, talks over everyone, acts like he knows everything, and takes away from every match. We could be watching a classic like Dolph Ziggler vs Daniel Bryan and all you hear is Michael Cole yelling about how much of a dork Daniel Bryan is and what's trending on Twitter. That doesn't make for good commentary, and if McMahon, the creative team, HHH, or anybody else doesn't see this or realize this, then who knows what's going through their heads. I just read a report that since Michael Cole has been putting down and bashing all the top faces in the company, their pushes are suffering. Hopefully, something will be done about it.

First Problem. As if the above isn't a big enough problem, here's one of the two biggies. I read a blog the other day where the writer was saying the WWE really doesn't have a single dominant heel. He was right. They don't...from a wrestler position. I mean the top heels are Miz and Wade Barrett. However, the WWE has decided to take someone, who never became anything better than a BAD announcer, and make him the top heel personality in the company. He's not a wrestler. He's not feuding with the top faces directly. But he is the top heel personality in the company, no matter what. Doesn't matter if we don't like it. He's succeeding with the crowd boos and basically, that's going to keep him in that top heel spot.

Second Problem. I once read that he is very close friends with John Cena. Well, if that's the case, then sadly, we're stuck with him. One of the first wrestling blogs I've ever read was someone claiming that Cena is better than Hogan because Hogan was a backstage politician and Cena's not. When I read this, I laughed out loud. Honestly, I'm not so sure Cena isn't a big time politician backstage. I mean, all the generations have them. So, there's a chance that Cena used his pull and his stroke with the company, to secure Michael Cole a full time spot as JR's replacement. Worse yet, there's a better than average chance that Cena used his backstage influence to get Michael Cole to be the one who would be used as the major heel announcer when the WWE decided that Matt Striker was horrible. Of course, I don't know if any of this is true. But if it is, we have more reasons to hate Cena.

It's truly a shame. There have been many heel announcers over the years that excelled in their position. Bobby The Brain, Jesse The Body, and Jerry The King, just to name a few. The difference between them and Michael Cole, is it came naturally to them. They were heel persona for pretty much their entire wrestling careers. For Michael Cole, it is very forced and it shows. What baffles me is that Jerry The King was one of the better heel announcers in wrestling. You would think he could at least guide Michael Cole into being a heel announcer that delivers smoothly and not awkward and sloppy.

Well, I've written far more than I ever care to, about Michael Cole, but at least I got it off my chest and did what has truly been, A Long Time Coming, and that was blog my displeasure for Michael Cole. Have a great New Year everyone and I truly hope we're not disappointed on 1/2/12.

Submit "A Long Time Coming...Michael Cole Blog" to Digg Submit "A Long Time Coming...Michael Cole Blog" to del.icio.us Submit "A Long Time Coming...Michael Cole Blog" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Long Time Coming...Michael Cole Blog" to Google

Tags: michael cole
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You absolutely hit the nail on the head with that blog. I'm fed up with Cole, especially because there is no diversity in his commentary. The closest thing to inventive commentary he has is when he calls Daniel Bryan a dork or a geek, instead of nerd. And I mean, it's very possible that they're feeding him lines endlessly, but he must have SOME creative freedom in the way he delivers those lines. Honestly, I just don't think MC is creative enough himself to do that.
    But great read DK - Hop to see more blogs from you!
    I totally agree with you on the Michael Cole subject. Sometimes I switch the channel to something else just because I can't take listening to him anymore. One thing I would add is that when you had Bobby the Brain or Jesse they were not the dominate or lead annoucer McMahon or Gorrilla were the leads and kept them in check. Maybe Lawler should be the Lead annoucer. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by ET2PHM
    I totally agree with you on the Michael Cole subject. Sometimes I switch the channel to something else just because I can't take listening to him anymore. One thing I would add is that when you had Bobby the Brain or Jesse they were not the dominate or lead annoucer McMahon or Gorrilla were the leads and kept them in check. Maybe Lawler should be the Lead annoucer. Just a thought.
    Great point! but back then there was also a lot more emphasis on the match itself - the moves, the dynamics, the feud, while now it's Twitter This and Twitter That.
    I would of course love to see Cole take a backseat to Lawlers (or most anyone elses) commentary, but unfortunately that will never ever ever ever happen... Sigh
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Bomb II
    Great point! but back then there was also a lot more emphasis on the match itself - the moves, the dynamics, the feud, while now it's Twitter This and Twitter That.
    I would of course love to see Cole take a backseat to Lawlers (or most anyone elses) commentary, but unfortunately that will never ever ever ever happen... Sigh
    Totally agree. That was the leads job he called the play by play and the heel was the comic relief. Even when you had Lawler as heel you had Good Old J.R. there to straighten him out and get back on topic.
    Great Blog! Micheal Cole is so annnoying
    Great Blog DK. I'm working on a Michael Cole blog that will be up soon. This was pretty spot on. WWE needs to either turn Cole back face or get rid of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Hughes35
    Great Blog DK. I'm working on a Michael Cole blog that will be up soon. This was pretty spot on. WWE needs to either turn Cole back face or get rid of him.
    Awesome. Looking forward to reading it.

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.