View RSS Feed

Dr. Death

The Most Famous Wrestling Tragedies in History, Part 3:

Rate this Entry
Here we are again with part 3 of my long blog. Again we are going from birth date in the lists and will be going from past to recent. ( or though we should). I hope I didn't bore any of you to death, but in light of recent things happening in my own life, I wanted to do a blog like this. So here we go again.

Counting Down The Most Famous Pro Wrestling Tragedies:

Bruiser Brody: {June 18, 1946 - July 16, 1988} Age: 42; Bruiser Brody was stabbed to death on July 16th, 1988 in the locker room of Juan Lobriel Stadium in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. Jose Huertas Gonzalez, AKA Invader I stabbed Brody several times in the stomach and the chest.

Brody was an outlaw and rebel, a family man, a loyal friend and a formidable enemy. Many wrestlers looked up to him and many promoters hated and feared him. He was devoted to his friends and merciless to his enemies. He was also one of the greatest hardcore wrestlers the sport has ever known.

Dino Bravo: {August 6, 1948 - March 11, 1993} Age: 44; "Canada's Strongest Man" Dino Bravo, was shot to death in his home in Saint-Leonard (now part of Montreal), Quebec, by a smuggling ring run by elements of organized crime in the city. His murder is unsolved.

Bravo quickly became known as a powerful wrestler, with a massive torso that could throw opponents all over. He was a multi time Tag Team Champion and a threat to Hulk Hogan who kept ducking him.

Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig: {March 28, 1958 – February 10, 2003} Age: 44; On February 10, 2003, Hennig was found dead in a Florida hotel room, The Tampa Coroner's office and the Tampa Medical Examiner's office declared a suicide as the official cause of his death.

Curt Hennig was a consummate athlete who was good at everything and who was well aware of that fact. Hennig was a top-shelf in-ring technician, and his resume reads like a Who's Who of wrestling talent in the late '80s and '90s.

Kerry Von Erich: {February 3, 1960 – February 18, 1993} Age: 33; Kerry Von Erich committed suicide at his father's ranch in Denton, Texas, on February 18, 1993 only one day after being indicted on a cocaine possession charge.

Kerry was very charismatic and a great performer. In 1984, he became NWA World Heavyweight Champion and enjoyed years of success in the wrestling industry. Kerry lost his foot in a motorcycle accident in 1986. He returned to wrestling with a prosthetic foot, which was unkown to many fans. Kerry became addicted to the drugs that were originally prescribed for the pain from the surgery.

"Dr. Death" Steve Williams: {May 14, 1960 – December 29, 2009} Age: 49; "Dr. Death" Steve Williams died of throat cancer after years of battling it.

Williams spent the better part of his career wrestling in Japan, where physical legitimacy is much more highly esteemed. He never had the charisma that it takes to draw the masses and hit it big in the U.S., even though he worked the ring impressively, like a shaggy-haired bulldozer. His most lasting contribution to the sport will probably be that his simple existence forced a then-new wrestler to change his name so as to avoid confusion, and so that other Steve Williams — a guy who would prove to have the charisma that Dr. Death lacked — changed his surname to "Austin," and an icon was born. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin was incredibly popular for his portrayal of a tough guy. The fact that Dr. Death would have whooped him in a real-life fight is meaningless — and so too was so much of Williams's career, at least to the majority of American fans.

Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy: {April 23, 1961 - July 16, 2001} Age: 40; Gordy died of a heart attack on July 16, 2001 due to a blood clot.

Gordy was most famous for his time with the Freebirds and also with Dr Death Steve Williams in Japan. In the UWF, Gordy became the company's first world champion. Gordy became known for his brutal punches, lariats, and powerbombs, but also for his high octane, southern lifestyle away from the ring.

Owen Hart: {May 7, 1965 – May 23, 1999} Age: 34; On May 23, 1999 Hart fell to his death in Kansas City, Missouri, during the Over the Edge pay-per-view event. Owen fell 50 feet into the ring, landing chest-first on the top rope, approximately a foot from the turn buckle, throwing him into the ring after something went wrong with the stunt harness, apparently triggering the release mechanism early. He was transported to the Truman Medical Center in Kansas City, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Owen had actually died while still being tended to in the ring. The cause was later revealed to be internal bleeding from blunt chest trauma.

Owen was one of the greatest wrestlers the world has ever seen. He had a unique and special way about him to bring a smile and overall brightness to all situations. All that matters is that Owen Hart is gone, never to entertain or make us smile again.

Chris Benoit: {May 21, 1967 – June 24, 2007} Age: 40; On June 25, 2007, Benoit, his wife Nancy, and their 7-year-old son Daniel were found dead in their Fayetteville, Georgia, home at around 2:30 p.m. Lieutenant Tommy Pope of the Fayette County, Georgia Sheriff's Department reported to ABC News that police entered Benoit's home on a "welfare check" after several missed appointments, leading to concerns. Pope also stated the police did not attempt to search for any suspects outside of the house, as the instruments of death were located at the scene of the crime. Detective Bo Turner of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department told television station WAGA-TV that his orders stated the case was to be treated as a murder-suicide. The station reported that investigators stated that Benoit murdered his wife and son over the weekend and hanged himself sometime on Monday, (although no complete investigation was done).

Chris Benoit was a world-famous wrestler and champion to his fans, loved by all. He had been World Heavyweight Champion, Intercontinental champion, United States Champion, and he held several tag-team titles. He was trained by Stu Hart in the infamous Hart Family Dungeon.

Eddie Guerrero: {October 9, 1967 — November 13, 2005} Age: 38; On November 13, 2005, Guerrero was found unconscious in his hotel room in Minneapolis, Minnesota by his nephew, Chavo. Chavo attempted CPR, but Eddie was pronounced dead when paramedics arrived on the scene. An autopsy revealed that Guerrero died as a result of acute heart failure, caused by undiagnosed arteriosclerotic cardiovascular disease.

One of the most gifted WWE Superstars on the whole WWE roster, Eddie Guerrero was also one of the most conflicted and tortured souls to ever step foot in a wrestling ring. He was trained by his father and made his pro debut in 1987. Guerrero was widely regarded as one of the most respected and gifted technical wrestlers in history. His catchphrase became "I Lie! I Cheat! I Steal!," which was used in one of his entrance themes.

Chris Von Erich: {September 30, 1969 – September 12, 1991} Age: 21; Frustrated and depressed over the deaths of his brothers along with his inability to excel in the wrestling business, Chris shot himself in the head on September 12, 1991 at the age of 21.

Chris Von Erich was the youngest, shortest, and least athletic of the Von Erich family. He made many attempts to succeed in the squared circle due to an incredible love of wrestling that kept him going despite numerous injuries. He managed one major feud with Percy Pringle in the USWA/World Class, but his career didn't take off like the rest of the family's.

And that takes us to the end of my blogs on The Most Famous Wrestling Tragedies in History. I know I left out some names on here, but the ones listed I believe could have still entertained us and helped the sport grow. It's unfortunate these tragedies happen, and making a list in remembrance of those now gone but not forgotten, helps us to understand where we were and where we are going in the wrestling business today. Thank You all for bearing with me and I wish you all well.

Submit "The Most Famous Wrestling Tragedies in History, Part 3:" to Digg Submit "The Most Famous Wrestling Tragedies in History, Part 3:" to del.icio.us Submit "The Most Famous Wrestling Tragedies in History, Part 3:" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Most Famous Wrestling Tragedies in History, Part 3:" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Great stuff. Some of the popular names that I didn't even know of. I'm surprised you didn't mention Macho Man, since his was so recent.
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    Great stuff. Some of the popular names that I didn't even know of. I'm surprised you didn't mention Macho Man, since his was so recent.
    There will be more coming. Macho Man will be on the list, I only have room for so many on these blogs, that's why I have to split them up.
    great blogs Dr. Death, just read through all 3 and learned some things i didn't know, for example I'd always believed eddie guerrero died of a drug overdose, and I didn't know Hennig's death was ruled a suicide. i'm going to have to google that.
    Good blogs.. Chris Candido?

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.