View RSS Feed

wrestlingfan66513

Blog Wars: KOTR Edition Semi Finals: Top 5 High Flying Moves

Rate this Entry
Welcome to the first match in the Semi Finals. There was no forth match because I did not get the list from one of my contestants so The Hit Man wins via forfeit. As you all know this next match will be between knox and Dr. Death, while the next is Rick Starr vs The Hit Man. Let's see the list.

Top 5 High Flying Moves

Criteria to consider: Impact, Famous Users, How it looks, and Crowd Reaction

knox

I appreciate you guys for voting me to the next round, thanks a million. Now lets kick the top high flying moves off. I'm basing this on historical impact, the actual execution of the move and the crowd response.

5. Jeff Hardy's Swanton Bomb

One of the most exciting wrestler's ever. Yeah he was a spot monkey and not the best at working a match but he will always hold the record for the most "Holy Shit" moments inside and out the ring if you get my drift. His Swanton bomb was amazing.

4. Evan Bourne's Shooting Star Press(AirBourne)
Definitely will always prefer Bourne's Shooting Star over Billy Kidman's. I love Billy Kidman but Evan Bourne gets twice as much air on his.

3. Guerrero/RVD Frog Splash
Personally I loved RVD's better because he got way more air than Eddie's and RVD jumped performed that move through tables, from the top of the ECW arena and many other exciting places. Guerrero however performed the most famous Frog Splash at No Way Out 2004 on Brock Lesnar to become the WWE Champion. He was also the first guy to win the WWE Championship with a top rope finisher.

2. Sin Cara's C-4
He's made this famous all around the world. I really don't like Sin Cara because I don't like masked wrestlers but this guy truly is a treat to watch in the WWE. We just don't see good cruiserweights like Sin Cara & Evan Bourne anymore in the E'. I'm not the biggest TNA mark but could you imagine Evan Bourne & Sin Cara battling guys like AJ Styles, Brian Kendrick, Austin Aries, and Alex Shelley on a nightly basis?

1. HBK/Savage Diving Elbow
Historical impact made this move #1 for me. Yeah its not the prettiest but it damn sure does the trick. Two of the greatest ever used this move, the late Randy Savage and the greatest ever in my opinion Shawn Michaels. From Savage hitting this on Hogan at WM 5 to HBK perfecting this on McMahon inside a trash can through a table at Wrestlemania. This is my favorite high flying move and its a treat to see guys like Cm Punk & other indie guys keep this move alive. RIP Macho.

Dr. Death

It is now the semi-finals of Blog Wars KOTR Edition, and this round we're going to take a look at the Top 5 High Flying Moves, (or Aerial Techniques), in wrestling/sports entertainment. While there is a very long list of these aerial moves being used in wrestling today, I believe we can solidify the top 5 by following certain criteria which are:
1. Execution
2. Famous Users
3. How it Looks
4. Impact
5. Risk Factor
I will be using a 1-5 star rating system per each criteria obligation for each aerial move listed. Now that we have our criteria in place, let's get started.

Counting Down The Top 5 High Flying Moves:

5. Moonsault: This aerial move has been used by many famous people such as Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, The Great Muta, Leaping Lanny Poffo, Jack Evans, Kid Kash, John Morrison, Christopher Daniels, Sabu, Kazarian, and many others.

The moonsault continues to evolve and give us viewers a wow factor, the execution is easy to master but at the same time a risky move. Overall, I give the Moonsault a 4 out of 5 stars.

4. Diving Headbutt: The move was innovated by Harley Race, it was then adapted and further popularized by The Dynamite Kid, and of course Chris Benoit. El Santo and El Hijo del Santo use this move in Mexico. It was later discovered that this move could cause spinal damage, as well as head, legs, or chest injuries and brain damage to both, the user and the receiver. There is a huge risk factor involved with this aerial move.

While not very flashy, it had a wow factor that amazes us still. The diving headbutt was devastating to both participants. And it comes with a huge risk factor as far as brain damage and other health issues go. Overall, I give the Diving Headbutt a 4.2 out of 5 stars.

3. Frog Splash: Innovated by Art Barr, this aerial move is famous by itself. Wrestlers like the late great Eddie Guerrero - RIP, and Chavo Guerrero, Rob Van Dam - (5 star frog splash), 2-Cold Scorpio, D-Lo Brown, Christian, Rey Mysterio, and even Hornswaggle have used the Frog Splash to great effect.

I love the impact of the move itself and as you can see, it hurts. Always entertaining to watch with a risk of a wrestlers ribs breaking, this aerial move will never go out of style. Overall, I give the Frog Splash a 4.4 out of 5 stars.

2. Shooting Star Press: A shooting star press is a technique invented by Jushin "Thunder" Liger. The move is considered a more impactful version of a splash, since the wrestler utilizes rotational speed. Others that have used this move are Evan Bourne, Billy Kidman, PAC, Brock Lesnar, John Morrison, and others.

The shooting star press is considered a very dangerous maneuver both to execute and to receive. If the wrestler is unable to completely rotate, or if he lands incorrectly on the opponent, then there can be a serious injury. Overall, I give the Shooting Star Press a 4.6 out of 5 stars.

1. Diving Elbow Drop: This was the finishing move made famous by "Macho Man" Randy Savage. While not as flashy as some of the other moves on this list, there's something inescapably elegant about a well-placed diving elbow drop. Currently used by CM Punk as a homage to the "Macho Man," the move has been utilized by countless other wrestlers as well, including Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, "Stone Cold Steve Austin, Bret "The Hitman" Hart and many other famous wrestlers.

One of the most commonly used aerial moves of all time, the Diving Elbow drop has conquered many a foe inside the square circle. This classic aerial move was easy to execute, looked great and we never got tired of seeing it. Also, when it landed on the opponent the impact was good. It also had an impact outside the wrestling ring as this move, as well as those who used it, left an impression upon the wrestling world. It is because of this that overall I give the Diving Elbow drop a 4.8 out of 5 stars.

Submit "Blog Wars: KOTR Edition Semi Finals: Top 5 High Flying Moves" to Digg Submit "Blog Wars: KOTR Edition Semi Finals: Top 5 High Flying Moves" to del.icio.us Submit "Blog Wars: KOTR Edition Semi Finals: Top 5 High Flying Moves" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blog Wars: KOTR Edition Semi Finals: Top 5 High Flying Moves" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    knox wins it for me
    knox get's my vote
    My vote goes to Knox
    i hae to say Knox for me also though no one mentioned my personal favourite Bobby Eatons Alabama Jam top rope Legdrop
    Sorry Knox, but Dr death gets it for me. Both lists were great though, so I was really torn. In the end the moonsalt did it for me
    My vote goes to Dr. Death. Personally, I think the Moonsault is better than the Swanton. And, I believe the Flying Headbutt is much more damaging than the C4. Let's just compare the Vader's Moonsault to the Swanton. Honestly, which do you think does more damage? The other three moves were the same for both, but I liked Dr. Death's style better. Also, Knox made a huge mistake, and I can't forgive that. He said that Eddie was the first person to win the WWE Championship with a high-flying move. Nope. Randy Savage, (who happens to be mentioned on his list) defeated not one, but two different wrestlers, 4 years apart, with the Flying Elbow Drop, to win the WWE Championship. Wrestlemania IV - Ted Dibiase; Wrestlemania VIII - Ric Flair.
    Just for the record, my list is as follows.

5 - Dragonrana. How impressive can you get?
    4 - Arabian Facebuster. The most painful high flying move I've ever witnessed. It can't even be performed without a chair.
    3 - Phoenix Splash. Everytime Hayabusa did it, I was impressed.
    2 - Shooting Star Leg Drop - I think more painful than a Shooting Star Press or standard Leg Drop.
    1 - Flying Elbow Drop. Not just Savage's, but Shane McMahon's insane variety.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.