View RSS Feed

gx_core

Scenario Approach: #1 Contenders...Mid-Card

Rate this Entry
What ever happened to #1 contender matches on PPVs? I remember the attitude era having them. I'm not refering to battle royals, I like them but there is only one TRUE rumble. Most #1 contender matches take place on free tv but should have more on PPV. The US & Intercontinental titles should be defended at the major PPVs and then alternate the remaining ones.

Here are my examples based on a PPV a month (@#%& more then 12):

Royal Rumble - both titles
Elimination Chamber - US Title + IC #1 contender
WrestleMania - both titles
Extreme Rules - IC Title + US #1 contender
Over The Limit - US Title + IC #1 contender
Capitol Punishment - IC Title + US #1 contender
Money in the Bank - US Title + IC #1 contender
SummerSlam - both titles
Night of Champions - both titles
Vengeance - IC Title + US #1 contender
Survivor Series - both titles
TLC - US Title + IC #1 contender

This leads to a proper build up. During the #1 contender matches, the champion should be doing commentary. Following the bout, a beat or stare down. Since every champion who loses their title always has a "rematch clause", it should take place the following Raw or Smackdown. Triple threats can be used from time to time when their is no clear winner.

Ways to establish a #1 contender on either brand at the beginning:

Beat the Clock: I would have four matches, but it shouldn't be just ONE wrestler trying to qualify. Both individuals should have an opportunity.

Tournament: It should take place over several weeks. Eight would be the common but I would like to see sixteen to allow others to get some TV time.

Double 4-Way: Both winners face off at PPV. Examples: Alex Riley Vs Jack Swagger Vs David Otunga Vs Evan Bourne & Drew McIntyre Vs Zack Ryder Vs Mason Ryan Vs Kofi Kingston.

Three Triple Threats: Ezekiel Jackson Vs Heath Slater Vs. Hunico, Yoshi Tatsu Vs Justin Gabriel Vs Sin Cara & Ted Dibiase Vs Trent Barreta Vs Tyson Kidd

TNA could also use this approach but on every PPV. Have a #1 contender for every title. WWE could use it for the world titles but they tend to have a glass ceiling.

Now that we have established a #1 contender, we can do the typical stuff leading up to the PPV.

-Opponents team with one another to face Tag Champs in non-title.
-Pick your poison matches
-world & mid-card #1 contenders team to face the champs in tag action
-mixed tag
-promo segment instead of match
-match against opponents buddy
-rematch with loser of #1 contender to steal their spot

Look at that, sounds like a two month build up.

Submit "Scenario Approach: #1 Contenders...Mid-Card" to Digg Submit "Scenario Approach: #1 Contenders...Mid-Card" to del.icio.us Submit "Scenario Approach: #1 Contenders...Mid-Card" to StumbleUpon Submit "Scenario Approach: #1 Contenders...Mid-Card" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Gud one...I still remember in AE..they had a #1 contender match for tagtitles on a PPV..
    I'll admit, when I first saw "Attitude Era" I was gonna zone out, but I'm glad I stayed with it.

You bring up a lot of good points. I like the pattern and the idea itself. I agree with you--We need more #1 Contender Matches on PPV. The only one I can remember is Sheamus vs Christian (I think it was Christian). We need more of them. I also miss tournaments, but that's another story.
    The only problem with the structure you suggested is that the title matches would always have to be either the champion retaining or would feature a match on raw or smackdown... apart from that, good idea!

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.