View RSS Feed

The1j@yYoung

Blog from Scotland, My Perspective of the WWE

Rate this Entry
So I've been wanting to start one of these blog thingies for a while and I've read a lot of really well informed and interesting ones on here, so tonight I've decided to kick off a (hopefully) weekly blog with various thoughts, opinions and musings on the state of the sport of professional past, present and future.

To start off with I've decided to talk about my experiences as a pro wrestling fan in general, what it means to me, why I enjoy it and what ultimately led me to getting in a ring for myself as a trainee wrestler with the Source Wrestling Academy the feeder school for the Scottish Wrestling Alliance.

I began my journey as a fan back in the summer of 1997 the year I started high school in Clydebank just outside of Glasgow. At this point Stone Cold was beginning his well deserved ascent to the top of the (then) WWF and Stone Cold Stunners were being thrown around both inside and outside of the school buildings. Back in those more innocent days I still believed that it was all real and that these guys were really beating the living hell out of one another. As I got older I learned that it was all in fact "fake", a term which I argue against every time I happen to hear it which I may get into at a later time. However even with this knowledge my love of wrestling hasn't lessened at all. I've been ridiculed for being in my mid-20s and still watching wrestling (I average at least 6 hours a week) it isn't the kind of thing that bothers me. It's something I love and something that is a massive part of my life.

What captured me as a fresh faced 11 year old first year was the matches these guys were putting on each week, but as much as the matches were amazing, to stories they told within an even larger storyline had me hooked and had me wanting to watch as much wrestling as I could get my eager hands on. This marrying of in-ring action and storyline still has me hooked and when asked by someone why I watch wrestling, one of my arguments is well when you look at it, it's a soap opera for guys.

No matter how much I watch it for the amazing in-ring talents of guys like AJ Styles, Chris Daniels, CM Punk, Danielson, Ziggler, Roode, Angle and the countless others that put it all out there in the ring, the story that these guys tell outside the ring, while at times exceptionally cheesy and cringe worthy at points (lets face it at times the writing at times is as bad if not worse than some soaps) still keeps me gripped to the world of wrestling.

Living in Scotland however means I don't get much chance to check out WWE or TNA live as the tickets for WWE sell out in minutes and TNA aren't even bothering to come to Glasgow next year, however any chance I get to check out local scene will be taken after checking out an SWA show in Glasgow and being more than impressed with the guys and girls that were on the card that night. Any chance to check out wrestling whether its WWE or TNA live or the local guys who in most cases are as good if not better than the guys that are on TV every week should be taken as, especially with the indys as thats where the future stars of wrestling will be found as is obvious with the rise of both CM Punk and Daniel Bryanson.

So as I said just some musings and thoughts for the first one...looking forward to reading the comments guys.

Submit "Blog from Scotland, My Perspective of the WWE" to Digg Submit "Blog from Scotland, My Perspective of the WWE" to del.icio.us Submit "Blog from Scotland, My Perspective of the WWE" to StumbleUpon Submit "Blog from Scotland, My Perspective of the WWE" to Google

Updated 12-11-2011 at 05:09 AM by The1j@yYoung (Misspelling in title)

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awesome Blog, really shows what it is like for a fan where wrestling does not occur frequently. Very insightful.

If you read this I want to know if you feel any home nation allegiance to Drew McIntyre in the same way I kinda do with Wade Barret and William Regal (being an Englishman)?
    Nice blog. I'm glad to see you still follow wrestling despite it's lack of presence in your hometown - I know that feeling all too well!
    Quote Originally Posted by CM_SUXX_NOT
    How could you spell your own country's name wrong in the blog title
    It was originally called The 1 j@y Youngs first blog mus have been changed by on of the mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brown One
    Nice blog. I'm glad to see you still follow wrestling despite it's lack of presence in your hometown - I know that feeling all too well!
    theres actully quite a big local scene in glasgow the point i was attempting to make was that the bigger companies dont make enough appearances over here but i get why. the wwe and tna touring schedules are pretty demanding especially the 'e's one.
    Great blog! I'm from Greenock myself, couple of miles West of Glasgow...need to check out some SWA shows too :P
    dont forget abuot icw too especially if you like your hardcore wrestling dude...theres a more than healthy wrestling scene here with a lot of awesome talents
    Gud First Blog!!

one of my arguments is well when you look at it, it's a soap opera for guys.
    +1 Even i tell my mom n sis many times..jus like u watch those soaps I watch wrestling...Indian soaps r by far the worst ones i guess..:d

Even i can feel the same..at least u have some wrestling happening in ur country, but in my country we have absolutely ZERO pro-wrestling...I'm hoping for that JJ's Indian program on Colours give pro-wrestling fans like me..some hope...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.