View RSS Feed

RatedATB

My Own 2011 Slammy Awards

Rate this Entry
What's poppin folks, RatedATB back at it again. The Slammy Awards are looming around the corner and I for one am somewhat excited. Not Wrestlemania excited, or last day of school excited, but I'm kinda looking forward to it. I think it's a good year end tradition and I'm glad WWE brought it back. I think they should do it and KOTR in the same night but that's a whole other blog. Anyway I was gonna go ahead and do a Slammy Award set of my own and see how it compares to what WWE gives on Monday. So without further ado...

Breakout Star of the Year - Zack Ryder
WOO WOO WOO, YOU KNOW IT! I don't think there's a doubt in anyone's mind that Zack Ryder deserves this honor seeing as he's worked his way up the ladder all year and has earned the spot he has. Do other people deserve his spot more? Yeah probably, but the fact is Ryder cared enough to do something about his situation and is being rewarded for it, so kudos to you sir, you are the breakout star of the year.
Runners up - Mason Ryan, Sin Cara, and Alex Riley

PPV of the Year - Money in the Bank
I don't think there would be any question of this, it was almost perfect from top to bottom. A shocking Daniel Bryan win, Christian winning the big one for the 2nd time, two awesome ladder matches, and of course my guy CM Punk stealing the freakin show and shocking the world of pro wrestling all make for one awesome, unforgettable ppv. I would normally wait til after TLC to do something such as this but the card doesn't have enough build to be considered the best and it would be hard to top this awesome show.
Runners up - Wrestlemania, Summerslam, and the Royal Rumble.

Mid Carder of the Year - Dolph Ziggler
No one has proved they deserve to be elevated to the main event more than Dolph Ziggler. The guy has it all, the look, the in-ring work, the move set, and has been great on the mic in my opinion. He is constantly the best match of the week and in my mind going to be the next big thing (sorry Brock) in the main event.
Runners Up - Cody Rhodes, Wade Barrett, Sheamus

Shocker of the Year - The Summer of Punk
I'm gonna go ahead and say that no one saw this coming. IT had everyone on the edge of their seats week in and week out and solidified Punk as a main eventer from here on out. It renewed interest in many in the WWE and is one of the saving graces that kept me from turning the channel on Raw once and for all. The big selling point is the fact that Punk actually won the title and everyone believed that he was gone. I can't remember the last time WWE was as unpredictable as it was this summer.
Runners up - Bryan wins MITB, Edge Retires, and Rock Returns

PPV MVP of the Year - Randy Orton
Say what you want about this man but he has consistently put on great matches at each ppv this year. From his match with Punk at Mania, to his matches with Christian, Randy Orton never disappointed and proved his worth to the company in the ring.
Runners Up - CM Punk, Christian, Dolph Ziggler

Match of the Year - CM Punk vs. John Cena - Money in the Bank
The build up, the anticipation, the fallout...the Summer of Punk II. It's without question the most anticipated match in the last few years, and one of the best too. The crowd made this match so amazing, it's just one of those rare occurences that happen only a few times and can't be replicated. Not to mention the in ring action had you guessing on who was going to end up winning. The end was perfect, and the aftermath had you rest assured that Punk was leaving with the title. It's one of my favorite matches of all time and will be talked about for years to come.
Runners Up - HHH/Taker - Mania, Orton/Christian - Over the Limit, and Smackdown MITB.

Diva of the Year - Beth Phoenix
Not a whole lot to say except she finally got the reign and push she deserved. The Divas of Doom started off strong and did what many have been wanting from the Divas division. She was a great replacement for Kharma as I think we'd be seeing her do what Beth and Natalya ended up doing.
Runners Up - Natalya, Eve, Kelly Kelly (because who else would be...)

Most Missed Superstar - Edge
Edge to me was one of the best to ever lace up a pair of boots, regardless with how you feel about him. I grew up a fan of him and literally watched him evolve from a goth vampire, to goofy blonde, to the Rated R Ultimate Opportunist. He's become a legend in this business and I truly believe that. No one saw his retirement coming this early and it's a true shame that it had to happen. He did a fantastic job of being a heel at a time when the WWE needed an awesome one and I know I'll miss the hell out of him in the coming years.
Runners Up - Undertaker, John Morrison, Rey Mysterio

Heel/Face Turn of the Year - R-Truth
Nothing can turn a career around quite like a heel turn and that's exactly what happened with R-Truth. He went from this smiling rapping mid carder to a psychotic heel out of nowhere. It's safe to say that his career was saved by turning heel seeing as he was going absolutely nowhere and then went into feuds with Cena, HHH, and Rock throughout the year. Sure he came up short but he made the Conspiracy gimmick enjoyable to watch and a lot of people who hated Truth started to like him after a simple role change.
Runners Up - Mark Henry, CM Punk, Christian

Superstar of the Year - Alberto Del Rio
2011 was the year that ADR transitioned from one of the guys to a full fledged main eventer. He won the Royal Rumble, the Raw Money in the Bank, wrestled for the World title at Wrestlemania, and won the WWE championship twice. You can make the argument that Punk made it exciting again, Cena dominated the title scene, and Mark Henry culminated 15 years of hard work, but Del Rio solidified himself as a mainstay main eventer all within a year and had one of the best years that anyone could ask for.
Runners Up - CM Punk, Mark Henry, and The Miz

So there you have it, my own little Sammy Awards and a show of respect to the men, women, and moments that made this year what it was. If you ask me 2011 was one of the best years we've had in quite some time and it's hopefully a sign that WWE's taking a turn in the right direction. Also keep in mind that these are my own opinions and if you disagree that's fine, but be respectful about it and do so with maturity. Until next time it's been real, it's been fun, but it hasn't been real fun. Deuces

Submit "My Own 2011 Slammy Awards" to Digg Submit "My Own 2011 Slammy Awards" to del.icio.us Submit "My Own 2011 Slammy Awards" to StumbleUpon Submit "My Own 2011 Slammy Awards" to Google

Updated 12-10-2011 at 11:15 AM by RatedATB (changing title)

Categories
Thoughts and Opinions

Comments

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.