View RSS Feed

Rick Starr

Sin Cara: Bad Timing, Bad Marketing, and Just Bad Luck!

Rate this Entry

Hey Splashers what’s up? Before I get on to our topic at hand, there are a couple of quick things I’d like to talk about.

1. In my last Blog I brought up the subject of how the WWE was ready to give us a new WWE Title. Just today I was reading the forums and I saw a video that had “NEW WWE Video released in 2012”. Interested I watched the video, and it came from CMPUNK’s official youtube account. To see the video for yourself click here

2. There has been some recent talk about Chris Benoit and a biographical thriller based on tragic outcome of his famous career. While I am normally a fan of movies based on true stories, this is one story I don’t wish to watch. I think the wound is still healing for many, and making a movie now is just way too soon.

I’ve been wanting to cover this Splash on Sin Cara for the past few weeks, but one thing led to another…and well you know how that goes. No more waiting let’s get splashin’!

Sin Cara: Bad Timing, Bad Marketing, and Just Bad Luck!

When Sin Cara aka Mistico was announced he was coming to the WWE, they made him out to be bigger than Rey Mysterio. However since his arrival this past January he’s not exactly made the grade. The first several entrances where he used the springboard was sloppy at best. He had one finisher off the top rope, but didn’t use it consistently, and then there was the time he had a match with John Cena where he practicality had to hold his hand, by showing him corner to get his props. That does not sound like a 20 year wrestling veteran to me!

Things did not get any better for Sin Cara as the months went along. He got shipped from RAW to Smackdown, in hopes things would improve…They did not. Somewhere right before the Money in the Bank PPV where reports say Sin Cara was expected to win the Smackdown Briefcase, he failed the WWE Wellness test. After the PPV Sin Cara was suspended (30 days), as his first strike in the company.

For those outside the IWC, the WWE decided to keep Sin Cara in play, but played as another person: Hunico. Hunico would portray Sin Cara for the next 30 days until he returned. During that time Hunico did a fairly good job at the Role of Sin Cara, until Mistico returned. The WWE decided this was a perfect time to have Sin Cara vs Sin Cara feud.

At first I had high hopes for the feud, but once again, it fizzled very shortly and the man known as Hunico went from a Lucha Libre wrestler, transformed into a mat wrestler over night when he was unmasked. This I feel was a big mistake as he was still Sin Cara’s #1 competitor while Rey Mysterio is out of action. If you ask me I feel Hunico was the real deal all along, with the exception of him being a mat wrestler.

As if Sin Cara couldn’t get a break, he gets an injury this past November at Survivor Series during their traditional elimination tag team match. Apparently he injured his patellar tendon rupture, which has taken him out of action for 6 to 9 months. There was some speculation that, that injury was feigned as the WWE wanted to revamp his character. However the WWE is standing by that it is a legit injury, and Sin Cara will have to undergo surgery.

To make things even worse for the masked Mexican, WWE.com released a brand T-Shirt of Sin Cara in gold. This shirt strongly suggested that Sin Cara was going to come back in a new color, in hopes to leave all of his problems behind. However his problems continued to follow him as the T-Shirt was well…not exactly PG Rated. WWE.com had removed the shirt in 15 minutes, of them realizing the error. Also there are reports that with Sin Cara out sales of masks could be down as it is a high marketing product during the holidays.

(Credit SEScoops.com for link to the image)

A bad start-off, failing wellness policies, a bad feud, getting injured, and a botched marketing scheme all in less than one year? I don’t know about you but for a wrestler that was supposed to make a huge impact, I’m not that impressed. Sure he has a flashy entrance, and some cool moves, but the man has not come close to earn my respect. And I certainly wouldn’t want to go out and buy any of his products…especially those that look like they have a big white penis hanging out. Call me picky, but that’s just me.

If the WWE is really going to give Sin Cara another chance, he is going to have to go above and beyond. The first thing: let him wrestle like a normal Lucha Libre, and while he’s down bring a few more Luchadores in so it will actually be entertaining. Secondly I don’t know if he can speak English or not , but if he can..LET HIM TALK! Wrestlers who can’t talk are boring as shit!

In my mind when he comes back he’s got one last chance to impress me, after that stick him down in the jobber squad. I don’t have time to watch the BS. It sounds cruel but if you can’t get it together you don’t belong there.
That’s it for this Splash guys. Until next time…See ya when I see ya

--Rick Starr @RickStarr

Submit "Sin Cara: Bad Timing, Bad Marketing, and Just Bad Luck!" to Digg Submit "Sin Cara: Bad Timing, Bad Marketing, and Just Bad Luck!" to del.icio.us Submit "Sin Cara: Bad Timing, Bad Marketing, and Just Bad Luck!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sin Cara: Bad Timing, Bad Marketing, and Just Bad Luck!" to Google

Updated 12-06-2011 at 03:33 AM by Rick Starr

Tags: sin cara, wwe
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just be glad this happened to Sin Cara and not Daniel Bryan. Lol ... Maybe they'll bring back Cara with a Mark Henry-esque "Sexual Mexican" theme? Ugh! Lol

AFAIK, they've had Rey scouting new lucha talent for WWE. So more than likely we'll see a couple guys coming through from that vein of wrestling in the next year or so.
    Cara getting injured was indeed just bad luck. He should have spent some more time down in FCW learning the WWE style of wrestling so that he would be on the safe side and give the audience matches without botches.
    I'm still waiting for this so-called Sin Cara......
    They even fooled you Rick!!

CMPunkMadeChicago is the FAKE account. Punk's actual account has 1 video on (from Comic-Con) and is called ThisIsCMPunk

Not sure on the blog either, there are a number of inaccuracies. You missed mentioning that they should have sent him to developmental, but you blamed it on him for not adopting to the style quickly enough.

As for the penis shirt, that's hardly his fault is it? That seemed to be your implication
    Updated 12-06-2011 at 03:38 PM by CM_SUXX_NOT
    This was a pretty bad blog dude. Yes, they used Sin Cara the wrong way, but don't blame him. He's a luchadore, not a Randy Orton type. The WWE screwed it up by not bringing in other wrestlers like him and trying to build something around him. He's too fast-paced for the rest of the WWE. Even those who can perform up-tempo matches, still slow him down. Unless they get other lucha libre style wrestlers in here, he will fail, no matter what.
    I watched some of his independant wrestling matches, he was just as sloppy as he was in the WWE. Far as DK Wrestling Savior comment saying Sin Cara is too fast for WWE stars, that is inaccurate, he has bad timing. Even in the independant circuit his opponents stand in one place for 5 minutes for a fancy move.
    Quote Originally Posted by AOF666
    I watched some of his independant wrestling matches, he was just as sloppy as he was in the WWE. Far as DK Wrestling Savior comment saying Sin Cara is too fast for WWE stars, that is inaccurate, he has bad timing. Even in the independant circuit his opponents stand in one place for 5 minutes for a fancy move.

believe me mistico is awesome he is fast paced i am mexican i know lucha libre style
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.