View RSS Feed

GiantHaystacks

Taking the venom out of Undertaker vs Sting

Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Hi all, quiet day at the office and have been fervently trawling all posts and blogs and a few comments regarding Taker and Wrestlemania have got me thinking. It is fair to assume that Taker will make a comeback/return to the ring in the coming months leading up to ‘mania, and as usual the BIG question is ‘Who will try and end the streak?’.

It is no secret Taker is in the twilight of his illustrious career, and WM 28 will likely be his last match. At the ripe old age of 46 he can no longer carry a match as he used to, and this has led to popular belief that he would need to go up against a much younger, faster, more agile opponent to carry the match for him. I can see the logic in this, however my opinion that if it will be his final match, this will only serve to highlight age/condition/speed which Taker shouldn’t be remembered for.

On the opposite end of the scale, as usual a lot of people want Sting to be Takers final opponent. I think that as a community we need to come to terms with the fact that this will probably never happen. Sting has said he would never wrestle for the E, and so far he has been a man of his word. HOWEVER, if he were to jump ship form TNA, surely the prospect of Undertaker vs. Sting at WM 28 would be epic…or would it?

The first factor to consider is the Epic-ness of a showdown between two of the longest serving, most iconic performers in the industry. For years this has been a match that we all wanted, but would probably never happen. But if it did, would it steal the show at ‘mania? If not it certainly wouldn’t add anything to the Rock/Cena match, which deserves/needs all the attention possible. Also I believe it would also eclipse some of the younger talent on the card. Having two (hopefully) epic matches on the card would, for me at least, devalue any Championship matches let alone non-title matches. So for this reason I will mark one for AGAINST

The second thing to consider is the age factor. Please note that I am not an ageist when it comes to wrestling, far from it, but as I touched on earlier, Taker is sadly past his prime. Although he is still an amazing presence in the ring, he can’t physically carry a match as he once could. By the time mania comes around he will be 47. The same applies to Sting, although he will be 53. Their combined age will be 100, and I fear that the match would be of such a tedious pace that it could end up a little sad. Therefore this would also be a factor AGAINST.

Lastly there is ‘The Streak’. By accident or design Taker has the most impressive mania run in history that will in all likelihood never be repeated. I can’t see that Vince would have Taker lose his last WM match (or last match ever) to anybody. The Streak has defined Taker, and is a fitting testament to everything he has achieved in his long career. In light of this, I can’t honestly see Sting accepting one match in the WWE, only to lose. Albeit to one of the true legends of wrestling on the grandest stage of them all. So again, this marks as AGAINST.

Had this match have been possible 5, ten years ago then it would have been perfect. Sadly though, I believe that it is too far down the road for both of them that the effects of the match would only be detrimental for both their careers and for the rest of the WWE in general.

As a final thought, I think Jericho would be the perfect choice as an opponent. He would be a huge draw, without overshadowing anyone. He also has all the technical skills to carry a match with Taker, and can easily work at a steady pace to avoid making Taker look, well, his age.

I am sure there will be many who disagree with what I have said, and as always these are just my own beliefs and opinions. Thanks for reading.

Submit "Taking the venom out of Undertaker vs Sting" to Digg Submit "Taking the venom out of Undertaker vs Sting" to del.icio.us Submit "Taking the venom out of Undertaker vs Sting" to StumbleUpon Submit "Taking the venom out of Undertaker vs Sting" to Google

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath_Decka
    Um Sahu, "King Booker" had a long reign as WWE Champion...
    NOT the WWE title, the WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT title. Remember, they are 2 different belts.
    I might be the only one but I want to see Kurt Angle go for it. He can make anyone look good in the ring and is great at carrying matches. His match with Shawn was a classic and he continues to do well. He could be a perfect heel or face and can make the story work great.
    Um Sahu, "King Booker" had a long reign as WWE Champion...

He held The Big Gold Belt that is WHC (The erstwhile WCW Championship)...but, he never won WWE World Title...
    BRUTALY HONEST POST FELLA, BUT SOO TRUE, MAY NOT BE THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO THE REST OF THE TALENT, BUT STILL, WE WOULD ALL DIE HAPPIER IF THIS MATCH DID HAPPEN LOL
    no, booker had a long World Heavyweight reign, not wwe champion
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.