View RSS Feed

kj777

Ending the Streak: Opponents for Undertaker's Final Match

Rating: 2 votes, 2.00 average.
Ending the streak: a controversial phrase in the wrestling community. To many, myself included, there are none greater than The Undertaker. He is currently the longest-standing active wrestler in the WWE, and though he may not be as decorated as other wrestlers in the industry, his quality of matches brought a new level of prestige to what he has held. Perhaps even more prestigious is his streak at WrestleMania. To be the wrestler to say "I ended the Undertaker's streak" would be a greater accomplishment than winning ANY championship.

This is WrestleMania will be, more than likely, his last. There are many candidates that could wrestle him. However, as I see it, there are only a few worthy to break it, and only one of them is (currently) contracted to the WWE. Let's look at some of the candidates to face him:

CM PUNK: Provided Punk isn't WWE Champion going into WM, and he isn't in a high profile feud with Chris Jericho, Punk would have an excellent match with Taker. Since Taker is older, he'd need someone energetic to carry most of the match that is still a credible threat. That said, I don't think he's quite worthy to end the streak.

CHRIS JERICHO: Once again, provided he's not feuding with Punk. Jericho is getting older, but can still put out a hell of a match. His claim as "Best In The World At What He Does" would look awfully nice with Taker's name on his list, which could prove for excellent build-up. If this pairing happen, I would book it as a submission match, which would allow it to be slower pace without cutting corners. Is Jericho worthy to break the streak? Absolutely. Would it happen? I doubt it!

Mick Foley: Extreme Rules, of course. With this match, it would more-or-less be a repeat of last year's chair shot assault from HHH, but to me, Mick Foley seems like a more credible threat in this situation, considering that it's his element. I'd suggest HiaC, but honestly, we can't try to replicate a classic, especially at their age. Could Foley break the streak? Yes, and, given his fanbase, I doubt anyone would be upset with it. Foley is a win-win for either decision.

Here are some candidates that will never happen, but would be interesting to see nonetheless.

The Great Muta: Build him as a foreign threat, mention every feat he's accomplished, and take it from there. Sad thing is, unless you're an old-school WCW or puro fan, the majority of the WWE fans won't know who he is, so there goes that. However, have a few showcase matches on RAW over the weeks leading to 'Mania to solve this issue. It would make for an amazing match as well, pitting the dark force from Japan against that of America. Could look credible breaking the streak? Yes, though I doubt Vince would want anyone from an outside promotion doing that.

Sting: I'm sure, as soon as you read the title, you KNEW this was coming. After all, last year's "2-21-11" fiasco had everyone (myself included) fooled. Sad thing is, as big of a draw it would be, as great of a match it has the potential to be, it's not happening. We all know, as soon as Sting's contract with TNA expires, he'll renew it again. The thing is, Sting's last hoorah is on it's way too, and what better way to go out than fighting The Undertaker? With this, as well as Rock vs. Cena on the card, this would be, without question, the biggest WrestleMania ever. In terms of streak-breaking, like Foley, he could win or lose and still keep the fans happy.

By the looks of things, The Undertaker will retire 20-0, which is what we all expect. Unless Taker faces someone of his experience and caliber, he will retire with the legacy he built. And honestly, that's the way it should be. That's his claim to fame, and it won't be anyone else's.

Submit "Ending the Streak: Opponents for Undertaker's Final Match" to Digg Submit "Ending the Streak: Opponents for Undertaker's Final Match" to del.icio.us Submit "Ending the Streak: Opponents for Undertaker's Final Match" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ending the Streak: Opponents for Undertaker's Final Match" to Google

Updated 12-04-2011 at 11:50 PM by Frank

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Interesting blog. I really enjoyed it. Undertaker has been my favorite for the longest time. Having said that, I think I have to pretty much disagree with this list and what you said.

I don't think that Jericho would be a good match with Undertaker. The Streak will not be threatened in anyway, like it was the last 3 years with Jericho.

I don't think CM Punk would be thrown into that, regardless of the title picture. Since Cena is fighting The Rock, I really don't see anyone else replacing Punk in the title picture anyway.

I don't think Undertaker and Mick Foley, even if he was brought back as Mankind to rekindle one of the best rivalries, they can't carry it now the way they did in 96-98.

I don't agree with any possibility of Undertaker facing Sting, simply because they would never try to overshadow The Rock vs Cena. It would be intriguing to see, but I don't think it would ever happen.

The Great Muta? Really?

There's really not an opponent for him. The only thing they could possibly do is try some sort of sabotage angle with him. Take a young star like Alberto Del Rio or Wade Barrett. Then try having everyone who Undertaker has taken out in the past, sabotage him. Stone Cold comes out and Stunners him. HHH hits him with a sledge. HBK with a Sweet Chin Music. Mankind with a chair. Kane with a chain or something. Nash with something. Only to have Undertaker overcome it and win. They all stand around, stunned look on their faces. They have accepted that The Undertaker cannot be beat at Wrestlemania. Undertaker walks out on his own power, to a major pop and "Thank You Taker" chant.

*notice I'm using all people from Undertaker's past eras who also most likely won't be involved in Wrestlemania in a capacity that would prevent their involvement*
    The Great Muta??

Brownie points to you for thinking outside of the box
    Whoever faces Undertaker, Undertaker should win. He's worked very hard for this!
    I think you can bet that the WWE will have Undies-taker job at a Wrestlemania to an up-and-comer.

They wouldn't (nor should they) have another aging wrestler end the streak..
    I thought of who should face Undertaker at WM, and honestly can't think of anyone! Let's face it, he beaten at least all the greats, most are retired, can't wrestle any more, and unfortunate dead. I thought Mick Foley could of been his next opponent, but he tarnished the Mankind legacy and became sort a clown. HHH was his last opponent, where do you really go from there? It has to be a high caliber opponent, and nobody currently wrestling is a high caliber opponent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DK Wrestling Savior
    Interesting blog. I really enjoyed it. Undertaker has been my favorite for the longest time. Having said that, I think I have to pretty much disagree with this list and what you said.

I don't think that Jericho would be a good match with Undertaker. The Streak will not be threatened in anyway, like it was the last 3 years with Jericho.

I don't think CM Punk would be thrown into that, regardless of the title picture. Since Cena is fighting The Rock, I really don't see anyone else replacing Punk in the title picture anyway.

I don't think Undertaker and Mick Foley, even if he was brought back as Mankind to rekindle one of the best rivalries, they can't carry it now the way they did in 96-98.

I don't agree with any possibility of Undertaker facing Sting, simply because they would never try to overshadow The Rock vs Cena. It would be intriguing to see, but I don't think it would ever happen.

The Great Muta? Really?

There's really not an opponent for him. The only thing they could possibly do is try some sort of sabotage angle with him. Take a young star like Alberto Del Rio or Wade Barrett. Then try having everyone who Undertaker has taken out in the past, sabotage him. Stone Cold comes out and Stunners him. HHH hits him with a sledge. HBK with a Sweet Chin Music. Mankind with a chair. Kane with a chain or something. Nash with something. Only to have Undertaker overcome it and win. They all stand around, stunned look on their faces. They have accepted that The Undertaker cannot be beat at Wrestlemania. Undertaker walks out on his own power, to a major pop and "Thank You Taker" chant.

*notice I'm using all people from Undertaker's past eras who also most likely won't be involved in Wrestlemania in a capacity that would prevent their involvement*
    Muta was more of a fantasy thing than a "it could happen" deal.

As for what you suggested, that's a bit of overkill. I think everyone that Taker's defeated would respect him. As for a younger star ending the streak, absolutely not. Everyone would have a fit over it.

I just wanted to suggest some wrestlers that would not only potentially have a great match with Taker, but also be a credible, fresh threat.

And why wouldn't Jericho be a threat?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendaryIcon
    Also, this won't be Taker's final WM. It'll be billed as his retirement match like six months in advance if not more. They won't do his retirement match alongside Rock/Cena. I would also expect his retirement bout to be a buried alive match since he made the match famous and has been in every single other one the company has done. (Though I would see them writing up some angle the next year with somebody (Kane) taken over by the 'spirit' of Taker for WM.)

Edit: Let the streak be controversial for the year leading up to Taker being buried alive. A manner befitting his character's retirement.
    You make an excellent, excellent point. The WWE would build something like that up, would they? But they didn't really build it up for long when Shawn Michaels' and Ric Flair's careers were on the line, so you never know.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

© 2011 eWrestlingNews, All Rights Reserved.